Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Sollied said:
    Either way, if Dack is the calibre of player we’re going after then this transfer window should be a substantial improvement on the last few 
    Does he have the legs and the hunger or would it be a move for convenience?

Could be a good signing if he has, but I can't help but think of Gunter and Watson.

Appears he's stayed fit this season making 13 starts and 14 sub apps in the league this season.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=308&teamTabs=stats
    I can't help but think of Di Canio and Andy Hughes.

Every profile of player there are ones that worked, and ones that didn't.

We aren't going to sign 10 hungry, up and coming, players who's value will sky rocket.  

Dack could be our Barry Bannon.  He could be the next Ben Watson.  We might not sign him.  He might go to Wigan (no need to move) and be brilliant.  He might go to Orient (near home but not us) and be injured or a shell of his former self.  Who knows.

TBH if we were fishing in that market with the added, he would rather not but if you’re paying x premium, I would have a tingle.
    Di Canio and Hughes weren’t from London and were known to be good pros who kept themselves fit.

Gunter no longer had the hunger and arguably the legs, playing for Wales was more of a priority. Watson got his move home and didn’t have enough of either.

You’ve raised your second and third points before and I agree. Dack has had a serious injury and had a couple of seasons starting fewer than 20 league games. He’d also be returning home. If another older player has played more games and hasn’t had a fairly recent major injury then I wouldn’t be as concerned.

Fortunately we know Holden wants a fitter squad and the right characters (clearly neither were high enough priorities in our recruitment under TS) so if Dack passes those tests and we sign him I’d back Holden’s judgement.
  • edited May 2023
    Getting the Kent boy together given our two rumours so far are Alfie May and Bradley Dack

Might not be the worst approach. Especially if we can take advantage from them wanting to move back down this way

Going to start a rumour saying I've seen Jack Tucker on a Thameslink train
  • I did read somewhere that Holden would return to a 352 given the squad to do so 
  • a fit Bradley Dack is far too good for league 1, he's only 29
    Which would of course raise the question of why he'd want/be willing to play in L1. Not for the love of Charlton as he probably doesn't have any....
  • I've always seen Dack as an attacking midfielder, closer to a 10 than anything else. That means either Holden would be bringing him in to compete with Fraser for the more attacking spot in the 3, in which case great, serious competition for that spot and the ability to rotate and manage injuries, or he's going 352 in which case he's bringing Dack in to play behind the strikers, a role he had given to Payne this season. If that's the case then we'll have a talented 10 in his natural position with Payne as his backup. That troubles me a little if Dack still has injury issues as I see Payne as an impact player rather than a starter but overall it sounds pleasing
    I think Fraser could play deeper, next to Dobson and we move to more of a 4-2-3-1 if we got Dack. He did it under Garner when we were playing 4-4-2 and played well. Dobson needs a good passer next to him and Fraser is an option for that, though I hope we also upgrade there as well 
  • NabySarr said:
    I've always seen Dack as an attacking midfielder, closer to a 10 than anything else. That means either Holden would be bringing him in to compete with Fraser for the more attacking spot in the 3, in which case great, serious competition for that spot and the ability to rotate and manage injuries, or he's going 352 in which case he's bringing Dack in to play behind the strikers, a role he had given to Payne this season. If that's the case then we'll have a talented 10 in his natural position with Payne as his backup. That troubles me a little if Dack still has injury issues as I see Payne as an impact player rather than a starter but overall it sounds pleasing
    I think Fraser could play deeper, next to Dobson and we move to more of a 4-2-3-1 if we got Dack. He did it under Garner when we were playing 4-4-2 and played well. Dobson needs a good passer next to him and Fraser is an option for that, though I hope we also upgrade there as well 
    There's an interview with Fraser where he says that he and Holden agreed he's better playing further forward so I doubt that's in Holden's plans. He did alright for Garner but he didn't influence games enough to offset the loss of goals we had by not playing him further forward. I think Holden might play him deeper in a 352 but not a 4231 with Dobson. Dobson's a soldier, not a policeman; he responds to the threat rather than keeping the peace so you need control and a bit of snap alongside him and Fraser doesn't provide that. Even in a 352 I don't think we really have the right makeup of midfielders with Dobson and Fraser, I think something might have to change there
  • Dack had been playing regular full 90s for Rovers, but then got a hamstring injury, so seems to be over his knee problems. 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    I've always seen Dack as an attacking midfielder, closer to a 10 than anything else. That means either Holden would be bringing him in to compete with Fraser for the more attacking spot in the 3, in which case great, serious competition for that spot and the ability to rotate and manage injuries, or he's going 352 in which case he's bringing Dack in to play behind the strikers, a role he had given to Payne this season. If that's the case then we'll have a talented 10 in his natural position with Payne as his backup. That troubles me a little if Dack still has injury issues as I see Payne as an impact player rather than a starter but overall it sounds pleasing
    There's an interview with Fraser where he says that he and Holden agreed he's better playing further forward so I doubt that's in Holden's plans. He did alright for Garner but he didn't influence games enough to offset the loss of goals we had by not playing him further forward. I think Holden might play him deeper in a 352 but not a 4231 with Dobson. Dobson's a soldier, not a policeman; he responds to the threat rather than keeping the peace so you need control and a bit of snap alongside him and Fraser doesn't provide that. Even in a 352 I don't think we really have the right makeup of midfielders with Dobson and Fraser, I think something might have to change there
    I really don't like Dobson in a double pivot.  He seems to get confused.  He is much better when he knows its his job to win the ball back with no doubt or hesitation.  I think he ends of in a similar situation when the defenders get in "his area" as well. 
  • Bradley Dack out of our reach surely, unless the new owners really are ramping up the budget that much.  

More likely he’ll end up at Millwall, QPR or even Luton should they not go up.  
  • Since December 2019, Dack has only started 20 league games.

Any club signing him has to be very confident he's over his injuries. 
  • Dack is the kind of player we've been missing for years. A high quality player who can drag the team into games. Can't see it happening but would be great if it does. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    I really don't like Dobson in a double pivot.  He seems to get confused.  He is much better when he knows its his job to win the ball back with no doubt or hesitation.  I think he ends of in a similar situation when the defenders get in "his area" as well. 
    It's harsh on him because he's done what he does very well but I do increasingly think that what he does isn't what a promotion-chasing team needs. Stick him behind the midfield two and tell him to kill and he's fine. He'd fit into a Bowyer diamond as well just about, but what I'd like is two nasty bastards who can pass the ball around and dictate tempo. Someone who takes care of the ball but also really doesn't like it when opposition players have it. A passer who is also an arsehole. A passhole. I think Dobson is destined to be a legend at mid-table/struggling teams. He probably would have been well regarded at Rotherham this season smashing into people but wouldn't have got anywhere near Ipswich's team despite there being a league between them. In another world Dobson might evolve to be a decent centre back in a back 3 as he's a better passer than he's given credit for sometimes, though he'd have to again work on his positioning, but he'll always work better as someone who cleans up messes rather than creates art.
  • I know there's a few people on here that watch quite a lot of U21s stuff , any left backs that anyone thinks highly of bar going back to Blackburn for Tayo Edun? 
  • If our best player isn't good enough for a promotion chasing team then what hope have we got.
  • LgfAddick said:
    If our best player isn't good enough for a promotion chasing team then what hope have we got.
    We had no chance as the last two seasons illustrated.  Hopefully we are stronger going forward, plus I don’t personally see him as our best player, appreciate many do.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    It's harsh on him because he's done what he does very well but I do increasingly think that what he does isn't what a promotion-chasing team needs. Stick him behind the midfield two and tell him to kill and he's fine. He'd fit into a Bowyer diamond as well just about, but what I'd like is two nasty bastards who can pass the ball around and dictate tempo. Someone who takes care of the ball but also really doesn't like it when opposition players have it. A passer who is also an arsehole. A passhole. I think Dobson is destined to be a legend at mid-table/struggling teams. He probably would have been well regarded at Rotherham this season smashing into people but wouldn't have got anywhere near Ipswich's team despite there being a league between them. In another world Dobson might evolve to be a decent centre back in a back 3 as he's a better passer than he's given credit for sometimes, though he'd have to again work on his positioning, but he'll always work better as someone who cleans up messes rather than creates art.
    I don't think it is being harsh on him.  He is very good at what he does.

When ever we set up with someone next to him, by either design or someone wondering, is nowhere near as good.  He is still one of our better players though.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I know there's a few people on here that watch quite a lot of U21s stuff , any left backs that anyone thinks highly of bar going back to Blackburn for Tayo Edun? 

I don't watch particularly but the two I know of are Roddy whom general feel seems to be he is lucky to have been offered an extension and Bower whom general feel has a end of a left foot and a very good prospect but young and quite small so suspect more likely to be loaned out first.  Both under contract.
    There may be others but I think we need a new LB X2
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Interestingly I’m not sure he’d fit in Bowyers diamond at the base of it. JFC, Bielik and Cullen were used there and they are all much better on the ball than Dobson. Think Dobson would only get into that Bowyer team in the Pratley role for the tougher games rather than playing at the base.

That’s where the 4-3-3 doesn’t really suit Dobson as he’s that midfielder at the base who is picking it up from the back 4. I think a switch to more of a 4-2-3-1 is the only way we can work with Dobson, and that would need someone next to him to do that passing but as you say is also does the dirty work pretty well. We will never get anyone near as good as Cullen but he is the perfect example of what we need. Just need to find a league 1 version 
  • Oh the days of a fit JFC, Bielek and Cullen. Do you think we'll ever see the like again?
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Interestingly I’m not sure he’d fit in Bowyers diamond at the base of it. JFC, Bielik and Cullen were used there and they are all much better on the ball than Dobson. Think Dobson would only get into that Bowyer team in the Pratley role for the tougher games rather than playing at the base.

That’s where the 4-3-3 doesn’t really suit Dobson as he’s that midfielder at the base who is picking it up from the back 4. I think a switch to more of a 4-2-3-1 is the only way we can work with Dobson, and that would need someone next to him to do that passing but as you say is also does the dirty work pretty well. We will never get anyone near as good as Cullen but he is the perfect example of what we need. Just need to find a league 1 version 
    But we did get Cullen and while in L1 so getting a player like Cullen is not an impossibility.
  • horace said:
    Oh the days of a fit JFC, Bielek and Cullen. Do you think we'll ever see the like again?
    Did we ever really see JFC | Bielik | Cullen in the first place? - Was more Aribo rather than Forster-Caskey
  • Happy to see us linked with the likes of Dack & May, would be pleased if either of those happen as nothing against signing younger players that have a resale value but you need a mix, so some shorter term expensive in fee or wages signings to give us a bit more experience & character would be a positive sign for me about the new owners intentions.
  • ValleyBen said:
    Happy to see us linked with the likes of Dack & May, would be pleased if either of those happen as nothing against signing younger players that have a resale value but you need a mix, so some shorter term expensive in fee or wages signings to give us a bit more experience & character would be a positive sign for me about the new owners intentions.
    Think May will end up at Wrexham….. money always talks in the end
  • Josh McEachran has been released by MKD.
  • edited May 2023
    Macronate said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    See Bradley Deck been released. I know he has injury issues, but he would be a great signing. 

A rumour!! An actual rumour!!
    Dack probably heard that Chuks gets a lot of time off, so he fancy’s coming to us.