Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    Birmingham have signed Jay Stansfield on loan this evening from Fulham. Cosgrove to us tomorrow?

One place further down the pecking order.
  • So as it stands they have Scott Hogan, Jay Stansfield, Tyler Roberts , Lukas Jutkewicz and Sam Cosgrove on their books as out and out strikers. Does make me wonder if it will be Cosgrove if there's a signing tomorrow. 
  • Oxford apparently bidding 500k for Jack Marriott, L1 strikers getting very expensive! 
  • SDAddick said:
    I don't think a new centre back is really going to help that much. It can't hurt, but I think getting a functional defensive system is far more important than the individual players, as long as they're up to a certain standard. Our friends Paddy McCarthy and Simon Francis are evidence of that; are they secretly great players who we ruined or are they players who slotted in to a system that worked and were able to play beyond themselves? Who had Chris Basham and Jack O'Connell down as top level Premier League centre backs before they briefly found their system as overlapping centre backs? Our biggest issue for years has been the gaps that open up between the lines and runners arriving late in our box completely unattended. Teams can drive through the middle or in that gap between the full back and centre back and get at us, and players drift into the box unmarked to get a free shot at goal. We haven't been coherent out of possession or in transition for years and what Holden really needs to work on is why that is and drill methods of dealing with it into the players. Getting in two quality wing backs who can read the defensive side of the game is part of it, and Dabo and Edun could be those players, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the longer term plan is to have both Dobson and Taylor sitting to provide that extra bit of cover. Then we can move as a unit and if everyone has cover and numbers around them defensively then suddenly the exposure to the opportunities to have an individual error immediately leading to a goal will reduce, That will take time and we haven't seen huge evidence of it yet, but Holden needs to get it right because it will be what defines his time with us, whether he can stop the constant shipping of goals the moment something goes wrong with the ball
    This. 1000% this. We have four senior CBs who have shown they can perform in this league, and in two cases, the league above. We have two talented young CBs as cover. We aren't shipping goals or ceding possession because one of our CBs isn't left footed. We're doing it because our CBs are getting isolated 1-v-1 with forwards far too often. And that isn't a failure of the CBs (how they handle it sometimes is), it's a failure of team structure and setup.

CBs is one of the areas (along with midfield) where I think just about every other team in the division is envious of us. It's very good for League One.
    Didn't you hear though, we have the worst centre backs in League One 
  • I'd say central midfield, on paper (I know I know) is where we stand up to every other team in the league. Dobson, Taylor, Camara, Fraser is a quartet any team would love to have, and to top it off we have the emergence of Anderson. 
  • Looks like JCH could move before the window closes.

• Scoham said:
    Looks like JCH could move before the window closes.

Too many tatts...   You know what happened last time?
  • Sponsored links:

• All lower end champs teams I reckon
  • MarcusH26 said:
    So as it stands they have Scott Hogan, Jay Stansfield, Tyler Roberts , Lukas Jutkewicz and Sam Cosgrove on their books as out and out strikers. Does make me wonder if it will be Cosgrove if there's a signing tomorrow. 
    Jutkewicz, it feels like he’s been there since the dawn of time 
  • Leuth said:
    SDAddick said:
    I don't think a new centre back is really going to help that much. It can't hurt, but I think getting a functional defensive system is far more important than the individual players, as long as they're up to a certain standard. Our friends Paddy McCarthy and Simon Francis are evidence of that; are they secretly great players who we ruined or are they players who slotted in to a system that worked and were able to play beyond themselves? Who had Chris Basham and Jack O'Connell down as top level Premier League centre backs before they briefly found their system as overlapping centre backs? Our biggest issue for years has been the gaps that open up between the lines and runners arriving late in our box completely unattended. Teams can drive through the middle or in that gap between the full back and centre back and get at us, and players drift into the box unmarked to get a free shot at goal. We haven't been coherent out of possession or in transition for years and what Holden really needs to work on is why that is and drill methods of dealing with it into the players. Getting in two quality wing backs who can read the defensive side of the game is part of it, and Dabo and Edun could be those players, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the longer term plan is to have both Dobson and Taylor sitting to provide that extra bit of cover. Then we can move as a unit and if everyone has cover and numbers around them defensively then suddenly the exposure to the opportunities to have an individual error immediately leading to a goal will reduce, That will take time and we haven't seen huge evidence of it yet, but Holden needs to get it right because it will be what defines his time with us, whether he can stop the constant shipping of goals the moment something goes wrong with the ball
    This. 1000% this. We have four senior CBs who have shown they can perform in this league, and in two cases, the league above. We have two talented young CBs as cover. We aren't shipping goals or ceding possession because one of our CBs isn't left footed. We're doing it because our CBs are getting isolated 1-v-1 with forwards far too often. And that isn't a failure of the CBs (how they handle it sometimes is), it's a failure of team structure and setup.

CBs is one of the areas (along with midfield) where I think just about every other team in the division is envious of us. It's very good for League One.
    I'm fairly sure that no-one has actually said that. Have people been critical of the CBs, yes. And frankly, it's somewhat justifiable given that based on previous records they are absolutely capable of playing much better than they currently are.

They are very far indeed from being the worst in the league. Though currently they may well be the most disappointing.
  • Would rather JCH At 500K, than Cosgrove. But who knows, transfer dealings always a risk. Rather Jukiewitcz myself
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

As I have said we need to sign the player they will sign when they sell him, before they do.
    Unfortunately they are so good that they’ve  already signed him. Tshimanga will step up if JCH leaves and probably score loads of goals
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

As I have said we need to sign the player they will sign when they sell him, before they do.
    Unfortunately they are so good that they’ve  already signed him. Tshimanga will step up if JCH leaves and probably score loads of goals
    I don't think Tshimanga is "him" let's see.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    SDAddick said:

Actually I said 'we may have the worst centre backs in the league?' I didn't say it with outright confidence. I then backed up my thoughts with how we have done defensively so far and the fact that we don't have a single centre back who is a top 10 centre back in the league, it may even stretch as far as 15/20. It's been that way for every season since Bauer left. Only decent defender we have had since then is Lockyer and look how he's done. 

SDAddick said:

I don't reckon any club is envious of us. Midfielder wise the projected bottom half sides maybe but definitely not the defense. 

Pompey, Bolton, Wigan, Oxford, Derby, Peterborough and a few others probably wouldn't swap any of our backline or midfield for theirs, defense certainly. I mention those teams cause if you want to get anywhere you need to be placing above them.

I agree at full strength and if everyone is fit our midfield is on paper play off contenders worthy, the defense is bottom half/mid table imo.

Really hope we are one of the ones in for JCH but I imagine it will clubs like Coventry, Swansea, Huddersfield etc. 

With Reams saying a striker in the building tomorrow and Birmingham getting a new striker in, it's all pointing towards Cosgrove on loan. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Oxford apparently bidding 500k for Jack Marriott, L1 strikers getting very expensive! 
    Leaburn & Kanu potentially big earners for Charlton. 

• edited August 2023
    Blackpool are yet to concede a goal this season. Envious of our backline? Their record speaks for itself; ours does too.
  • Chunes said:
    Blackpool are yet to concede a goal this season. Envious of our backline? Their record speaks for itself; ours does too.
    Because they have got "found his level" Abie Morgan?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I think they may already have done so a few weeks back, sure I read somewhere that they had signed a young striker who's expected to play a part this season & I doubt McAnthony would sell without having a replacement.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I think they may already have done so a few weeks back, sure I read somewhere that they had signed a young striker who's expected to play a part this season & I doubt McAnthony would sell without having a replacement.

Reckon they will go for Sonny Perkins on loan.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Birmingham have signed Jay Stansfield on loan this evening from Fulham. Cosgrove to us tomorrow?

Ah shame!
  • If this striker is Cosgrove, would be a bit disappointed. Cosgrove is like Stockley on a bad day! 
  • sam3110 said:
    I'd say central midfield, on paper (I know I know) is where we stand up to every other team in the league. Dobson, Taylor, Camara, Fraser is a quartet any team would love to have, and to top it off we have the emergence of Anderson. 
    On paper maybe but three of them aren’t fully fit . Fraser I believe is good against weaker sides and goes missing against anyone competitive , Taylor seemingly is one of the modern players who takes an age to get fit .  Camara is evidently quality but can’t play every game . At this stage , I can’t commit to whether this midfield takes you up.  Dobson is the only banker .