Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    Be extremely surprised if we bring a Centre Back in before the window. Deji Eleware is very rated at the club and fully expect he will emerge back into the first team scene at some point this season. 

Its not a numbers thing at CB though is it, its a lack of leadership and organising. I like Deji and I can see why he's rated but I would rather have an older more experienced head.
    That's Hector's job surely? Jones is reasonably experienced too.

Why Hector has been so poor since pre season is a mystery.
    If I'm honest,I didn't rate him overly much last season.
    Good in patches but good in patches is not good enough. We can't keep shipping goals like we do.
    Consistency at the back is the key to getting out of this league.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Never pleasing people… we sign a someone who is decent, highly rated. 
    Played in the premier league, had a decent loan at the end of the season in League One, but it isn’t enough..

Holden has already proven this year we are not going to stick to the same formation, it is a signing that gives us options, from the start or from the bench to change the game.

I expect 1 free in (Dabo) 2 or 3 loans and maybe one more fee being paid if the right deal can be agreed.

For me, our biggest issue is, we don’t really have an identity of the style of play, and that falls on the manager! 

Let’s see where we are at the end of October, before we start to turn!
    Not sure it does. He’s not been given the tools yet so it’s hard to show an identity/style of play when you haven’t got the players you want yet. I think he’s got a clear idea of how he wants us to play but we can only see small bits of it at the moment because we don’t have enough players 
    Can you tell me how he wants to play? From what I have seen, it is to lump it then try and win the 2nd ball?? If that’s the case, then we have been recruiting the wrong players 
    That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it, and a team playing that way probably wouldn’t have had more of the ball in every game we’ve played so far. Pressing and winning the ball high up is definitely a huge part of it, and players we’ve recruited like Camara and May fit that perfectly. We’ve been the best team in the league so far at winning the ball and creating chances from pressing and winning the ball high up. A striker might have helped us convert more of these chances 

We have seen a lot more longer passes over the top to May, which is another strength of his. When we have Leaburn we might see more direct passes going into him too, which will help free up May as defenders will be attracted to Leaburn’s presence. May has had to lead the line and stay central, but if you look at a lot of his Cheltenham goals he is running the channels, picking the ball up in pockets of space, cutting inside and shooting. A new striker can be that central focal point and allow May to find the spaces either side of him. 

But that’s not the only way we’ve attacked, in fact Holden seems to prefer quite a varied/practical approach rather than sticking with one way of building attacks like a Ben Garner would for example. We’re high in the league numbers for slower build up attacks (would probably be higher if we hadnt lost Fraser) and also longer passes. Holden wants attacking football which we are seeing but it’s difficult when we don’t have the striker we can all see we need. 

Losing Fraser’s ball-playing abilities and Leaburn’s presence up top have definitely not helped and probably made it look more like we are just looking for long balls for May to chase and trying to win the ball high up the pitch, along with trying to isolate CBT into a 1v1 situation. But isn’t that Holden just trying to get the best out of what he has been left with? 

It is interesting to see the voices of the new regime start trying to shift the blame towards Holden when to the rest of us it’s obvious he hasn’t been given the tools yet 
    Not totally shifting blame on Holden, but we have still had enough quality on the pitch to have got better results that’s for sure. What’s the saying, bad workman blame the tools.

And no blame from the ownership, Holden is their man. 

I don’t think tactically we have been right last few games, and to many errors! 
    Chelsea have all the tools but struggling to get results despite being the better team. I think we’ve been better or equal in every game this season but not had the rub of the green 
  • edited August 2023
    I have a bit of an issue with the word 'decent' being used to describe our first team players.

For 'decent', I read 'mid-table L1 standard.'

To get out of this league we need good/outstanding players. We've not had a CB like that since we last went up. 
  • Chunes said:
    I have a bit of an issue with the word 'decent' being used to describe our first team players.

For 'decent', I read 'mid-table L1 standard.

To get out of this league we need good/outstanding players. We've not had a CB like that since we last went up. 
    That is what I would describe our back line as tbh. But I would say our midfield and attack are quality for league 1 (when they are back fit). 

It’s difficult in one summer to get a team that is high quality in every position, even our last promotion team had a lot of ‘decent’ players playing a lot. But they had enough quality elsewhere on the pitch which we might also have. 

Do agree though that a CB should be a priority but I’m not sure it is so we will have to hope that Hector is just rusty and will get better, hope that Jones will improve and that Ness/Deji will step up 
  •  Probably never was 
    .Remember when ESI were serious about Toney

Have we given up our pursuit of that old striker Wastof Espace from Brighton?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Played in the premier league, had a decent loan at the end of the season in League One, but it isn’t enough..

Holden has already proven this year we are not going to stick to the same formation, it is a signing that gives us options, from the start or from the bench to change the game.

I expect 1 free in (Dabo) 2 or 3 loans and maybe one more fee being paid if the right deal can be agreed.

For me, our biggest issue is, we don’t really have an identity of the style of play, and that falls on the manager! 

Not sure it does. He’s not been given the tools yet so it’s hard to show an identity/style of play when you haven’t got the players you want yet. I think he’s got a clear idea of how he wants us to play but we can only see small bits of it at the moment because we don’t have enough players 
    Can you tell me how he wants to play? From what I have seen, it is to lump it then try and win the 2nd ball?? If that’s the case, then we have been recruiting the wrong players 
    That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it, and a team playing that way probably wouldn’t have had more of the ball in every game we’ve played so far. Pressing and winning the ball high up is definitely a huge part of it, and players we’ve recruited like Camara and May fit that perfectly. We’ve been the best team in the league so far at winning the ball and creating chances from pressing and winning the ball high up. A striker might have helped us convert more of these chances 

We have seen a lot more longer passes over the top to May, which is another strength of his. When we have Leaburn we might see more direct passes going into him too, which will help free up May as defenders will be attracted to Leaburn’s presence. May has had to lead the line and stay central, but if you look at a lot of his Cheltenham goals he is running the channels, picking the ball up in pockets of space, cutting inside and shooting. A new striker can be that central focal point and allow May to find the spaces either side of him. 

But that’s not the only way we’ve attacked, in fact Holden seems to prefer quite a varied/practical approach rather than sticking with one way of building attacks like a Ben Garner would for example. We’re high in the league numbers for slower build up attacks (would probably be higher if we hadnt lost Fraser) and also longer passes. Holden wants attacking football which we are seeing but it’s difficult when we don’t have the striker we can all see we need. 

Losing Fraser’s ball-playing abilities and Leaburn’s presence up top have definitely not helped and probably made it look more like we are just looking for long balls for May to chase and trying to win the ball high up the pitch, along with trying to isolate CBT into a 1v1 situation. But isn’t that Holden just trying to get the best out of what he has been left with? 

It is interesting to see the voices of the new regime start trying to shift the blame towards Holden when to the rest of us it’s obvious he hasn’t been given the tools yet 
    Not totally shifting blame on Holden, but we have still had enough quality on the pitch to have got better results that’s for sure. What’s the saying, bad workman blame the tools.

What should we have done tactically?
  • DH said he was expecting one of the injured players back for the Oxford game in his post Port Vale interview but wouldn't name them.

Could be Deji who played for the U21s but I suspect not so who does that leave?
    Leaburn?
    Fraser?
    Campbell 

Camara 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

We definitely had enough quality to beat Port Vale, but I don’t really think we can blame Holden for that when we gift wrapped 2 goals for them. Even the third, if we had another option for Asiimwe and weren’t asking an 18 year old to play every minute then he’d probably deal better with it(or his sub would have done).

Tired players make more mistakes, and we have been forced into overplaying a lot of our players, some who have barely played senior football or have been injured recently. Combine that with a bench that is full of shit and it’s no surprise we lost the 2 games by conceding late goals. 

I don’t think we’ve lost the games due to tactics at all. Really don’t see how Holden could have set us up any differently that would have been better. We just don’t have the players available to do much else 

Why all of a sudden what happens on the pitch is down to the owners .. Curbishley , Dowie , Parkinson etc etc all got blamed for what went on the pitch never heard people attacking Richard Murray every day blaming him
    for losing a home game .. it’s getting ridiculous 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

For clarity I am not saying for 1 minute get rid of Holden, but can’t put all the blame on recruitment and the ownership, he has to take some responsibility. As we have had enough on the pitch to get results 
    He has and we have shown enough. The reason we aren’t on at least 7 points is individual errors. Which I think in this short term, you can’t really put on him. Hector’s mistake in that last game was so poor for someone of his experience.
    I think individual errors are a mindset thing though and that is on Holden, especially given that’s something he talks about a lot. The Asiimwe one I can forgive because he must have mentally and physically exhausted by that point but there aren’t really any excuses for the others 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

That is what I would describe our back line as tbh. But I would say our midfield and attack are quality for league 1 (when they are back fit). 

It’s difficult in one summer to get a team that is high quality in every position, even our last promotion team had a lot of ‘decent’ players playing a lot. But they had enough quality elsewhere on the pitch which we might also have. 

Do agree though that a CB should be a priority but I’m not sure it is so we will have to hope that Hector is just rusty and will get better, hope that Jones will improve and that Ness/Deji will step up 
    I'm not sure our attack could be described as quality when we're so lacking up top. I agree that when I look at the CMs I put ours right amongst the best in the league. The defence lets us down a little bit. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

I'm not sure our attack could be described as quality when we're so lacking up top. I agree that when I look at the CMs I put ours right amongst the best in the league. The defence lets us down a little bit. 
    That is a good point and hopefully we do add to it, but when we have Leaburn and May starting games that is probably the best front 2 in the league

• sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

For clarity I am not saying for 1 minute get rid of Holden, but can’t put all the blame on recruitment and the ownership, he has to take some responsibility. As we have had enough on the pitch to get results 
    He has and we have shown enough. The reason we aren’t on at least 7 points is individual errors. Which I think in this short term, you can’t really put on him. Hector’s mistake in that last game was so poor for someone of his experience.
    I think individual errors are a mindset thing though and that is on Holden, especially given that’s something he talks about a lot. The Asiimwe one I can forgive because he must have mentally and physically exhausted by that point but there aren’t really any excuses for the others 
    A player mis-controlling the ball CANNOT be blamed on the manager, that's absolutely ridiculous! May as well start blaming the manager for the weather or if the train to the game is delayed ffs
    In isolation I agree but I think there’s a pattern of individual errors causing us goals. I rate Holden and think he’s doing a good job but lapses in concentration and how we react to them is something he needs to work with the team to eliminate surely 
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

A player mis-controlling the ball CANNOT be blamed on the manager, that's absolutely ridiculous! May as well start blaming the manager for the weather or if the train to the game is delayed ffs
    I also agree with this, I would be far more worried if we were struggling to create chances and playing poorly. Overall we are playing far better this season than last season and creating a lot more. We have been downed but some individual errors that can't be blamed on the manager. Law of averages should mean we are fine. We should not have lost to Peterborough or Port Vale and arguably should have won both games on chances created. The Bristol Rovers game actually was probably the worst we have played but only lost to a 98th goal when we were trying to win the game.

All is not lost yet, couple of wins in our next 3 games and it all looks a lot rosier.
  • Another thing not really being talked about is the games we lost were back to back with not much time to fix anything on the training ground. If things aren’t better on Saturday after a full week’s training then that’s concerning but I think they probably will be better 
  • edited August 2023
    Plaaayer said:
    Interesting. Pete ORourke so credible.
    Attacking midfielder 
  • fenaddick said:
    sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

In isolation I agree but I think there’s a pattern of individual errors causing us goals. I rate Holden and think he’s doing a good job but lapses in concentration and how we react to them is something he needs to work with the team to eliminate surely 
    Maybe some payers are not that good?

• edited August 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Be extremely surprised if we bring a Centre Back in before the window. Deji Eleware is very rated at the club and fully expect he will emerge back into the first team scene at some point this season. 

Its not a numbers thing at CB though is it, its a lack of leadership and organising. I like Deji and I can see why he's rated but I would rather have an older more experienced head.

If we lose hector fir any length of time we have a very young and fairly inexperienced crop of CB's though. 

I like Hector and Thomas but it should have been Héctor only resigned, then looked for another to go alogside him and Jones. Also not sure how vocal and how much of a job he does "Marshalling the defence" doesn't seem to be telling the Iver's to move closer, push wider, pont where to cover etc.

Hector CB Jones
    Ness, deji, Mitchell
  • thenewbie said:

If we lose hector fir any length of time we have a very young and fairly inexperienced crop of CB's though. 

I like Hector and Thomas but it should have been Héctor only resigned, then looked for another to go alogside him and Jones. Also not sure how vocal and how much of a job he does "Marshalling the defence" doesn't seem to be telling the Iver's to move closer, push wider, pont where to cover etc.

Hector CB Jones
    Ness, deji, Mitchell
    I’d agree with that. Even though Thomas has probably been the best of a bad bunch so far from our centre backs. We have Deji who can be the backup to that left centre back role, we should have gone all out for a first choice that was an upgrade on Thomas 
  • thenewbie said:

Hector CB Jones
    Ness, deji, Mitchell
    Is the keeper an issue as well? I'm not sure how vocal AMB is.