Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Like the Chem signing , would still like another out and out striker , a RB and a creative midfielder. If I'm being really greedy and we manage to get a few out then a left sided CB would be a bonus. 
  • T Campbell , Fraser and Leaburn as well as Chuks are big losses to Holden at this part of the season. there would be 3 starters at least - as well as hard to replace JRS from last season as well. - Deji will be back from suspension now as well . 
    Its shows what he thinks of Kirk , DJ and McGrandles with how little he uses them off the bench the past 2 games. 
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Never pleasing people… we sign a someone who is decent, highly rated. 
    Played in the premier league, had a decent loan at the end of the season in League One, but it isn’t enough..

Holden has already proven this year we are not going to stick to the same formation, it is a signing that gives us options, from the start or from the bench to change the game.

I expect 1 free in (Dabo) 2 or 3 loans and maybe one more fee being paid if the right deal can be agreed.

For me, our biggest issue is, we don’t really have an identity of the style of play, and that falls on the manager! 

Let’s see where we are at the end of October, before we start to turn!
    Not sure it does. He’s not been given the tools yet so it’s hard to show an identity/style of play when you haven’t got the players you want yet. I think he’s got a clear idea of how he wants us to play but we can only see small bits of it at the moment because we don’t have enough players 
    Can you tell me how he wants to play? From what I have seen, it is to lump it then try and win the 2nd ball?? If that’s the case, then we have been recruiting the wrong players 
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Played in the premier league, had a decent loan at the end of the season in League One, but it isn’t enough..

Holden has already proven this year we are not going to stick to the same formation, it is a signing that gives us options, from the start or from the bench to change the game.

I expect 1 free in (Dabo) 2 or 3 loans and maybe one more fee being paid if the right deal can be agreed.

For me, our biggest issue is, we don’t really have an identity of the style of play, and that falls on the manager! 

Not sure it does. He’s not been given the tools yet so it’s hard to show an identity/style of play when you haven’t got the players you want yet. I think he’s got a clear idea of how he wants us to play but we can only see small bits of it at the moment because we don’t have enough players 
    Agree 

Pretty clear that DH's preferred style is 3-5-2 with wingers/wing backs and two forwards and the whole team closing down quickly to win the ball back high up the pitch.

But injuries and slow recruitment has denied him the opportunity to play that very often, in particular the lack of a second forward.

The experiments with 4 1 4 1 and 442 have been forced on him, not him not knowing what his favoured formation is IMHO.

But maybe it is easier for some to blame the manager than the owners
    I don’t think he knows how he wants to play, arguably we had the right type of players to play 3-5-2 last season, but hardly played it.

For me, it looks like he is trying to play 2 different styles at 1 go, which won’t work! 

• We may end up seing something like this against Oxford:

AMB
       Assimwe  Jones Ness Edun

Anderson Dobson Camara

CBT

C.Campbell  May

With CBT switching wings almost in a free role behind Campbell and May rather than as a classic 10.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Can you tell me how he wants to play? From what I have seen, it is to lump it then try and win the 2nd ball?? If that’s the case, then we have been recruiting the wrong players 
    Think that's harsh. I'm fairly sure he does/did have a specific style in mind but losing Campbell, Leaburn and Fraser to injury means that particular style is not viable.

So now he IS trying different formations and tactics but out of chance not a lack of planning on his part.

• Was hoping for at least 4 more in, 2 of the May/ Cámara quality and 2 in the Jones/Taylor/Edun mold. Chem ticks off one of the latter.

Dabo + Forward and preferably a real quality CB but don't think we'll be seeing another of those in.

I think we actually have decent CB’ but at the moment we have winger’s trying to cover RWB and they’re not that player.
    Get a decent player like Dabo (assuming he’s fit enough for a season) and our defence should look a whole lot more settled.

• Sponsored links:

• DH said he was expecting one of the injured players back for the Oxford game in his post Port Vale interview but wouldn't name them.

Could be Deji who played for the U21s but I suspect not so who does that leave?
    Leaburn?
    Fraser?
    Campbell T?
    Aneke?

AMB
       Assimwe  Jones Ness Edun

Anderson Dobson Camara

CBT

C.Campbell  May

With CBT switching wings almost in a free role behind Campbell and May rather than as a classic 10.
    Can’t leave Kanu out surely? Chem Campbell will be on the bench I’m pretty sure which is already a massive improvement on our bench from port vale 
  • DH said he was expecting one of the injured players back for the Oxford game in his post Port Vale interview but wouldn't name them.

Leaburn?
    Fraser?
    Campbell T?
    Aneke?
    My guess would be Fraser, perhaps on the bench. He had a calf strain c.3 weeks ago so the timeline seems about right.
  • It could also be Camara as he only missed last weekend due to a knock.
    I would say he is the only one to come back this week, would be surprised to see Fraser or Campbell
  • Be extremely surprised if we bring a Centre Back in before the window. Deji Eleware is very rated at the club and fully expect he will emerge back into the first team scene at some point this season. 

AMB
       Assimwe  Jones Ness Edun

Anderson Dobson Camara

CBT

C.Campbell  May

That's exactly how I would try and set up to get the best out of CBT.  That's exactly how Harriot was used in our FA Youth Cup run.
  • I think Holden wants his wing backs to basically be wingers with the idea of winning the ball back in the opposition half and then overloading the opposition defence with in effect 4 attackers and then a body from midfield. The issue is that we don’t have particularly pacey CB’s to cover that back line. In an ideal world your CDM/6 would drop back to create a back 4 but that isn’t Dobson’s game and he’s clearly being asked to get higher up the pitch anyway
  • thenewbie said:
    Be extremely surprised if we bring a Centre Back in before the window. Deji Eleware is very rated at the club and fully expect he will emerge back into the first team scene at some point this season. 

Its not a numbers thing at CB though is it, its a lack of leadership and organising. I like Deji and I can see why he's rated but I would rather have an older more experienced head.
    That's Hector's job surely? Jones is reasonably experienced too.

Why Hector has been so poor since pre season is a mystery.
  • Sponsored links:

Leaburn?
    Fraser?
    Campbell T?
    Aneke?
    My guess would be Fraser, perhaps on the bench. He had a calf strain c.3 weeks ago so the timeline seems about right.
    didn't someone say he was out for a few months??

AMB
       Assimwe  Jones Ness Edun

Anderson Dobson Camara

CBT

C.Campbell  May

I REALLY like the idea of having CB-T in a free role like this, allowing him to move to either side or simply run at defenders down the middle. I think that switching wings during the game would give teams more to think about and mix up his cutting inside on the left with getting to the by-line and drilling in low crosses from the right. 

I think it could work, but I sadly don't think we'll try it and he'll permanently stay on the left. Line-up feels pretty likely, coinflips on Taylor/Camará , Ness/Hector and maybe one of the injured players returning to the bench (Leaburn?).
  • edited August 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Be extremely surprised if we bring a Centre Back in before the window. Deji Eleware is very rated at the club and fully expect he will emerge back into the first team scene at some point this season. 

Its not a numbers thing at CB though is it, its a lack of leadership and organising. I like Deji and I can see why he's rated but I would rather have an older more experienced head.
    That's Hector's job surely? Jones is reasonably experienced too.

Why Hector has been so poor since pre season is a mystery.
    It should be Hector’s job but is he a leader / organiser? Maturity / Experience doesn’t necessarily make you a leader however 27 year old Jones in the Trust article back in July has Captained teams displaying those attributes and is the obvious choice for Holden imo.
    https://www.castrust.org/2023/07/who-is-lloyd-jones/#:~:text=He%20played%2027%20League%20games,over%20the%20last%20two%20years.
  • I think CBT would be much better on wing when he can go one on one v a defender, rather than through the middle. 
  • The player who might be returning is Camera from his foot niggle/knock.
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

That’s a very simplistic way of looking at it, and a team playing that way probably wouldn’t have had more of the ball in every game we’ve played so far. Pressing and winning the ball high up is definitely a huge part of it, and players we’ve recruited like Camara and May fit that perfectly. We’ve been the best team in the league so far at winning the ball and creating chances from pressing and winning the ball high up. A striker might have helped us convert more of these chances 

We have seen a lot more longer passes over the top to May, which is another strength of his. When we have Leaburn we might see more direct passes going into him too, which will help free up May as defenders will be attracted to Leaburn’s presence. May has had to lead the line and stay central, but if you look at a lot of his Cheltenham goals he is running the channels, picking the ball up in pockets of space, cutting inside and shooting. A new striker can be that central focal point and allow May to find the spaces either side of him. 

But that’s not the only way we’ve attacked, in fact Holden seems to prefer quite a varied/practical approach rather than sticking with one way of building attacks like a Ben Garner would for example. We’re high in the league numbers for slower build up attacks (would probably be higher if we hadnt lost Fraser) and also longer passes. Holden wants attacking football which we are seeing but it’s difficult when we don’t have the striker we can all see we need. 

Losing Fraser’s ball-playing abilities and Leaburn’s presence up top have definitely not helped and probably made it look more like we are just looking for long balls for May to chase and trying to win the ball high up the pitch, along with trying to isolate CBT into a 1v1 situation. But isn’t that Holden just trying to get the best out of what he has been left with? 

It is interesting to see the voices of the new regime start trying to shift the blame towards Holden when to the rest of us it’s obvious he hasn’t been given the tools yet 
    Not totally shifting blame on Holden, but we have still had enough quality on the pitch to have got better results that’s for sure. What’s the saying, bad workman blame the tools.

And no blame from the ownership, Holden is their man. 

I don’t think tactically we have been right last few games, and to many errors! 

Leaburn?
    Fraser?
    Campbell T?
    Aneke?
    Camara