Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Trophy 23/24 - next up Reading away Wed 6th Dec 7pm, tickets now on sale (p3)

Comments

• Options
    Bizarre to change sponsors part way through a season
    I think it was unsponsored until now. 
  • Options
    The EFL must surely realise that having such ridiculous sounding sponsors/names for this trophy actually work against it being seen as credible by the masses?
  • Options
    Are we out yet ?
  • Options
    Are we out yet ?
    We are winning it mate, be ready for two trips to Wembley this season
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The EFL must surely realise that having such ridiculous sounding sponsors/names for this trophy actually work against it being seen as credible by the masses?
    I just find the snottiness of some towards this trophy a bit weird, suspect Bristol Street saw 80k at Wembley last year, and thought it was a credible thing to be involved with 
  • Options
    Are we out yet ?
    We are winning it mate, be ready for two trips to Wembley this season
    1 in the play offs is enough ! 

We’ve used all our play off final luck up , no way are we winning a 4th final in my lifetime
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Not as bad as The Sherpa Van Trophy  :)
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    cafctom said:
    I just find the snottiness of some towards this trophy a bit weird, suspect Bristol Street saw 80k at Wembley last year, and thought it was a credible thing to be involved with 
    I'm not being snotty about it at all.

I enjoy going to EFL Trophy games at The Valley and want it to be respected more. But you're going to struggle to get people interested in going to games when there is very little effort being made to make it seem credible - whether its down to sponsorship or formatting. The attendances (outside of the final) tell that story.
  • Options
    Crawley beat Aston Villa U21s last night to win the Group, and knock the Villa out of the competition

It means that Charlton vs Sutton will decide who finishes 2nd place - Both teams are on the same points, so even a draw / penalty shootout win, will see either side motor their way to the next round.
  • Options
    The Bristol Street Motors Trophy Round of 32 draw will take place live on Sky Sports News at 6.30pm on Friday 24 November, in the lead-up to Sky Sports’ coverage of the Sky Bet Championship match between Rotherham United and Leeds United.
    Draw B

Winners Pot

Ball No.

Runner Up Pot

Ball No.

Portsmouth

Brighton & Hove Albion Under-21s

Milton Keynes Dons

Charlton Athletic

Reading

AFC Wimbledon

West Ham United Under-21s

Colchester United

Bristol Street Motors Trophy Round of 32 ties are to take place week commencing December 4.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/november/22/bristol-street-motors-trophy--round-of-32-draw/

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    So it’s only possible to face Portsmouth, MK, Reading or West Ham, is how I’m reading that. 

Wonder why they’ve split the north and south regions in half and are having four draws instead of two.
  • Options
    Of course these things are never fixed, never ever, but wouldn't Sky just love it if Portsmouth v Brighton U21 and Charlton v West Ham U21 came out of the hat.
  • Options
    So it’s only possible to face Portsmouth, MK, Reading or West Ham, is how I’m reading that. 

Wonder why they’ve split the north and south regions in half and are having four draws instead of two.
    an attempt to keep costs down for what is a major loss making venture for almost all of the clubs involved
    the groupings are supposed to minimise the potential mileage clubs do getting to away games
    there's probably a belief it might add a few to the away attendances too 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Hope we don’t choke in the next round, I’m tyred of us not doing well in the cup (holder) competitions.

Car puns aplenty, fill your boots.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

an attempt to keep costs down for what is a major loss making venture for almost all of the clubs involved
    the groupings are supposed to minimise the potential mileage clubs do getting to away games
    It’s group winners vs group runners up isn’t it? If it’s West Ham I wonder if they’ll use the London stadium. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    SID said:
    Billy_Mix said:

It’s group winners vs group runners up isn’t it? If it’s West Ham I wonder if they’ll use the London stadium. 
    In the past, the U21 had to play their games away. Would be good togo the stadium that we paid for.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    SID said:
    Billy_Mix said:

Yes but there’s eight group winners in the south section and our draw is limited to only four of them as potential opponents.

There’s an entire other half to the Southern half that includes Forest Green, Wycombe, Peterborough etc. but looks like we’re unable to draw those teams.
  • Options
    SID said:
    Billy_Mix said:

Yes but there’s eight group winners in the south section and our draw is limited to only four of them as potential opponents.

There’s an entire other half to the Southern half that includes Forest Green, Wycombe, Peterborough etc. but looks like we’re unable to draw those teams.
    Ah ok, didn’t realise that cheers. It’s a strange competition all round isn’t it. 
  • Options
    Stadium MK is desolate enough for league games there, never mind the EFL Trophy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    clive said:
    For a tin pot trophy the draw is rather over the top. Its akin to a WC or Euro draw with different pots depending on where you finished in the group. 

Just pull balls out from a bag & be done with it !
  • Options

cafctom said:
    EFL go deaf and blind as soon as the numbers on the cheque from the sponsor reach the requisite level.  They'll accept money from anyone and anything "for the good of the game" *cough*   A car sales franchise is a damn sight less silly than a far eastern energy drink (Carabao) you've never seen and isn't morally bankrupt like accepting money for promoting gambling (SkyBet and too many more to list)
  • Options
    SID said:
    Billy_Mix said:

The OS report on the draw was the first I heard of us only being able to draw one of those teams, because as you say there are 8 group winners in the South, 7 of whom we could draw (eg not the team we were runners up to)

Local press in Peterborough still reporting they could draw us, for example. Very strange!
  • Options
    We will be playing Reading.
  • Options
    Away. W/c Dec 4th 
  • Options
    Should be winnable 
  • Options
    Dull but winnable tie. It'll be interesting how Appleton juggles his squad for the 2 cup games
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Should be winnable 

That's the thing- every game is winnable in this tournament. We genuinely can win it. 
  • Options
    North section:

Wrexham v Burton
    Blackpool v Barnsley
    Accrington v Lincoln
    Wigan v Stockport
    Derby v Fleetwood
    Bradford v Liverpool U21
    Doncaster v Forest U21
    Bolton v Port Vale

South section:

Peterborough v Arsenal U21