Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Clearly doesn't fit Jones' style of play, in which case the right move for Club and player.
    And very likely to set up a meaningful incoming move.
  • Options
    Kind of glad he's not ended up at Huddersfield, with a Manager who already knows how to utilise him - All the best Alfie, but I need to apologise, as hope you do crap there
  • Options
    chev said:
    Seems to be the consensus. Jones backing himself here. Promotion or it’s failure. That was the case even with May. 

There is no replacement in the squad. Leaburn and Aneke can’t stay fit, and even if they could, neither of them are getting 25+ goals - I doubt they could even do that between them. Kanu is a raw talent who probably isn’t ready for a promotion contending team. 

Even if you say “OK, if we get goals across the rest of the team, we only need 15 from any replacement.” - is that even happening? Can Leaburn do that? Are there goals in our midfield? 

Goalscorers are hard to find. We had the best one outside of The Championship and we’ve let him go to a promotion rival. 

What happens if Jones is sacked by January? It’s not an impossible scenario with this ownership group. 

I don’t think promotion is a realistic aim for this club now. 
    Yet. It all hinges on the transfer business now. Get in two decent strikers that do what Jones wants, get in another CB and one or two quality midfielders and it will take a lot of the sting out of this.
  • Options
    Relax guys, we won’t struggle to score enough goals between the rest of the players in order to win promotion.
    You win 23 games 1-0 that’s 69 points, then draw 23 games 0-0 totals 92 points. I reckon we have enough players left without Alfie May to get those 23 goals…lemon squeezy.
    That should do it.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:
    Seems to be the consensus. Jones backing himself here. Promotion or it’s failure. That was the case even with May. 

There is no replacement in the squad. Leaburn and Aneke can’t stay fit, and even if they could, neither of them are getting 25+ goals - I doubt they could even do that between them. Kanu is a raw talent who probably isn’t ready for a promotion contending team. 

Even if you say “OK, if we get goals across the rest of the team, we only need 15 from any replacement.” - is that even happening? Can Leaburn do that? Are there goals in our midfield? 

Goalscorers are hard to find. We had the best one outside of The Championship and we’ve let him go to a promotion rival. 

What happens if Jones is sacked by January? It’s not an impossible scenario with this ownership group. 

If Leaburn stays fit I think he can get 20 (he got 12 as an 18 year old playing his first season of men’s football), but that should be a bonus rather than something we rely on with his fitness record 

If Leaburn does not sign a new contract he will be sold before the end of the window.  (This is my view, I am not ITK).

We should have a buy back clause in Mays sale. If they are promoted they probably won't want him, he will be a year older and given recent history, Jones will probably have been sacked.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:

If Leaburn stays fit I think he can get 20 (he got 12 as an 18 year old playing his first season of men’s football), but that should be a bonus rather than something we rely on with his fitness record 

If Leaburn does not sign a new contract he will be sold before the end of the window.  (This is my view, I am not ITK)
    Not sure, January is much more likely once he’s proven his fitness 
  • Options
    So not only are we getting rid of our top scorer and POTY, we also have no replacement(s) in the door, so now when we go looking for a striker every other club is going to bump up their asking price.

What a shit show.
    How do you know we don’t have agreements in place for a striker or two?
    Bringing in Lukaku after his performances have impressed us at the Euros
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 1
    Jones needs to be in the top six and touching the top two by Xmas or he’s under serious pressure and he’ll only have himself to blame. 

Yep - and imagine a scenario where Birmingham are top and May has 15 goals....
  • Options
    So not only are we getting rid of our top scorer and POTY, we also have no replacement(s) in the door, so now when we go looking for a striker every other club is going to bump up their asking price.

What a shit show.
    Given that there's been absolutely zero rumours recently, nothing from Cawley and nothing from Swisdom or any other ITK's closer to the club than most, i'm kind of assuming we haven't. Of course i'd love to be wrong though and we announce 2 striker signings this week.
  • Options
    One day this club will stop selling its best players at the first opportunity.
  • Options

• Options

What a shit show.
    Knowing our luck it would be Ladapo and Bonne
  • Options
    Gives us two days to announce a couple of decent signings first.
  • Options
    Gives us two days to announce a couple of decent signings first.
    Everyone knows it’s a done deal today. Official club announcement is irrelevant. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:

If Leaburn does not sign a new contract he will be sold before the end of the window.  (This is my view, I am not ITK)

In Jan he could sign a pre contract with an overseas club leaving us with nothing. We know German clubs were interested in the past.  I don't see the SMT or Board taking that risk.
  • Options
    Huge decision from Jones, he's put himself under even more pressure now. Really hope this works out the way he thinks it will! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:

In Jan he could sign a pre contract with an overseas club leaving us with nothing. We know German clubs were interested in the past.  I don't see the SMT or Board taking that risk.
    Or Hungary 😜
  • Options
    Someone on the Huddersfield site reckons Birmingham have offered May 20k a week. 

Can’t see that in a million years, surely no more than 10k. 
  • Options
    If we have sold May before his replacement is confirmed, it is a huge worry. We don't want to hear at end of window that we tried to sign other stockers but they all chose championship sides instead. 
    Don't think Stockers is going Championship tbf 
  • Options
    Someone on the Huddersfield site reckons Birmingham have offered May 20k a week. 

No chance, he’ll be getting more than at Charlton and it will be the most lucrative contract of his career but it’s not going to be anything like £20k.
  • Options

Saying that justifies mays decision in their heads
  • Options
    I’m disappointed that he has left.  There was clearly something not right between player and manager and this isn’t a surprise

im still going to wait and see who comes in before I moan though. 17 open play goals will be hard to replace!!
  • Options
    edited July 1

Not a chance, you could lure a decent Championship forward to you with promises of £20k a week. Morgan Whittaker is on less than £9k and he got 19 Championship goals last season.