Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    NJ has done a pretty good job of getting the fans onside from the outset. 
    Success is difficult when this is not the case. 
    Seems strange he would allow the division's top scorer to be sold to a promotion rival. 
    If it happens, NJ will be starting the new season on a minus, and if the replacement is not getting a goal every 2 games, the tide will turn against the owners and management team. 
    Put simply, this would be a kamikaze decision. 
    I disagree. If we are in the promotion mix and achieve that aim, I couldn't care a jot who is top scorer and how many they get.
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Seems strange he would allow the division's top scorer to be sold to a promotion rival. 
    If it happens, NJ will be starting the new season on a minus, and if the replacement is not getting a goal every 2 games, the tide will turn against the owners and management team. 
    We don't necessarily need a 20 goal striker although of course it would help. Last season the top scorers in all three EFL leagues were for clubs who finished in the bottom half. The Championship top scorers side (Blackburn) were very nearly relegated.

The key to getting anywhere near the play offs is improving our defence. Look at last season, both Portsmouth and Derby scored less goals than all 4 sides in the play offs. But they also conceded 10-15 goals less than the play off sides which is what made the difference. Winning tight games, winning 1-0 on the road, nicking a game when not playing that well.

Derby's top league scorer got 14 goals and no one else got into double figures. So it's a bit of a myth that you need a 40-50 goal strike partnership to get promotion.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    I disagree. If we are in the promotion mix and achieve that aim, I couldn't care a jot who is top scorer and how many they get.
    100%, as someone who really likes May i agree with this completely.

I said it someway back but will repeat, If he sells May and we get promoted or play-offs the majority of fans (who arent personal friends or family of Alfie's) will not even be talking about him come next end of the season.

However, if he sells him and we struggle again quite rightly fans will be asking serious questions. The fact of the matter is managers live and die by their decisions and if NJ doesn't want him he is better failing on his own terms than appeasing fans.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    I’ve held back from getting a season ticket because i want to see if the club invest in a decent squad.

If they sell our only real goalscorer and thus weaken the squad, then i will not bother.

You can’t blame people.

If you are in the undecided bracket then this would not push you in favour of purchasing one.

They have an opportunity this Thursday to set the record straight
    Each to their own. 

The club needs to get into the Championship, so the owners needs to invest.

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:
    I like May, his workrate is great, his goal return better but sometimes his touch is terrible. If we are offered 1.5 Million that can be used elsewhere then we would be mad to say no.
    He scored 23 goals in a shit team in a shit season. 

“Used elsewhere”????

We need to keep him and build a squad around him.

If he wants to go, thats another matter.
    Building a squad solely around one player at elite level is a bad idea,

To do it at league one is even more foolish.

I like Alfie and hope he stays but everyone (EVERYONE) at this level has a price and it would be mad to turn down 1.5 Million for a 31 year old instead of using that cash to build a robust squad that can actually challenge for promotion. If we build a squad around Alfie as you say and he gets injured, has a bad run of form or plays well enough to get championship offers in Jan we are up the creek without a paddle.

Also worth noting whilst May's goalscoring was great last season of his 23 league goals, 6 of them were pens. Which, of course, still count but do rely on some luck actually winning the pens to begin with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:
    I like May, his workrate is great, his goal return better but sometimes his touch is terrible. If we are offered 1.5 Million that can be used elsewhere then we would be mad to say no.

“Used elsewhere”????

I like Alfie and hope he stays but everyone (EVERYONE) at this level has a price and it would be mad to turn down 1.5 Million for a 31 year old instead of using that cash to build a robust squad that can actually challenge for promotion. If we build a squad around Alfie as you say and he gets injured, has a bad run of form or plays well enough to get championship offers in Jan we are up the creek without a paddle.

Also worth noting whilst May's goalscoring was great last season of his 23 league goals, 6 of them were pens. Which, of course, still count but do rely on some luck actually winning the pens to begin with.
    During the 1997/1998 season Clive Mendonca 25 percent of his goals were from the Penalty spot
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    I’ve held back from getting a season ticket because i want to see if the club invest in a decent squad.

If they sell our only real goalscorer and thus weaken the squad, then i will not bother.

You can’t blame people.

If you are in the undecided bracket then this would not push you in favour of purchasing one.

Each to their own. 

100%

Keep May and bring in players who can play at a higher level.

Bringing in players from Dunfermline does not bode well.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    If he goes , that video of him phoning people up asking fans if they will be renewing their season tickets and telling them that he’s staying , is going to be an extremely embarrassing. 
    Can remember Lennie asking for us to buy ST, then disappearing up north the next day.
    It really spoiled the legacy of LL for me.
    Sir Lennie can do no wrong.

Without St Andrews the future was VERY bleak.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:

“Used elsewhere”????

During the 1997/1998 season Clive Mendonca 25 percent of his goals were from the Penalty spot
    Yes thats my point, excellent and cant be overlooked but that season he scored 23 and around 25% were pens (ill take your word for it cant be bothered to look it up) the next season he scored 8 and the season after 9. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:

“Used elsewhere”????

Yes thats my point, excellent and cant be overlooked but that season he scored 23 and around 25% were pens (ill take your word for it cant be bothered to look it up) the next season he scored 8 and the season after 9. 
    Injuries were sadly Clive’s downfall in the Championship winning season. However we did have Andy Hunt with 25 goals 
  • Options
    Yes of course the goals have to be better distributed across the team but at the moment we have Alfie 20+ goals, CBT moved on in January, Kanu who most people seem to think should be loaned out, Fraser out of favour because he isn't hard enough in the tackle, Leaburn with injuries 2 seasons running now and most people think won't be here long, Dobbo told not good enough by our clueless dof, centre backs who have no idea where the net is from set pieces, no decent dead ball player, have I missed anything! everyone is bleating we should be spending and buying better quality players and maybe we will, who knows but if Jones and the clueless Scott stick to their word via Cawley that Alfie won't go till we get replacement's in or the buying club meet our price then let's hold them to it, or see if Charlton blink first!
  • Options
    edited June 25
    I have an unsupported hunch that Josh Edwards will be an important player for us, if only because of his long throw.
    Loads of people here decry Scottish football almost as a matter of course, there are decent players there as there always have been.
    C’mon Josh, be any good.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:

“Used elsewhere”????

You don’t build a team around players like Alfie May, you build a team that includes a player like him who will take an above average percentage advantage of the goal scoring opportunities that they collectively create.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keeping May is the smart move, selling him to an opponent is a very smooth brain move. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I have an unsupported hunch that Josh Edwards will be an important player for us, if only because of his long throw.
    Loads of people here decry Scottish football almost as a matter of course, there are decent players there as there always have been.
    C’mon Josh, be any good.
    Fond memories of Greg Shields as right back. 
  • Options
    Even fonder memories of Mark Reid as left back.
  • Options
    I was spoilt when i first came down and started following Charlton as a 14 year old Hermann was our LB
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    C’mon Josh, be any good.
    Fond memories of Greg Shields as right back. 
    I remember bumping into Greg in the service station on the way back from the Coventry FA Cup game in 2000. Had a quick chat. Decent bloke.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    cfgs said:

“Used elsewhere”????

Injuries were sadly Clive’s downfall in the Championship winning season. However we did have Andy Hunt with 25 goals 
    Super Clive didn't play after QPR away in December, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    shirty5 said:
    BigDiddy said:

You can’t blame people.

Each to their own. 

100%

Keep May and bring in players who can play at a higher level.

Bringing in players from Dunfermline does not bode well.
    You haven't even seen him play yet! Bit harsh on the lad.

It's often the signings that go under the radar that turn out to be the best...
    I hope you are right, time will tell.
  • Options
    I was spoilt when i first came down and started following Charlton as a 14 year old Hermann was our LB
    Shocked to find out he was only 14 during our premier league days 😉 
    LOOOOL thats why grammar is important
  • Options
    Shocked to find out he was only 14 during our premier league days 😉 
    LOOOOL thats why grammar is important
    You forgot the exclamation mark, apostrophe and full stop.

Otherwise it's fine. :)