Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    I’m sure Wrexham will spend big, they’ll have to, if they want to make a mark in this division.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    If Alfie went to Wrexham, that’s one promotion spot gone, note to board, don’t  sell to rivals if you want to get promoted, it will cost you more in the long run, staying in this division.
    Wrexham aren't as good as everyone makes out. Don't get me wrong they have some good players but they didn't even win league 2 so it's not exactly a given they're going to come in and blow league 1 away.

Could May even play alongside Mullin? Not sure that works as a pairing but i appreciate it's a squad game these days.
    Wrexham at present haven't even improved. They signed 1 player who was there last season anyway. At the moment they are weaker than the team that got them promoted. 

I don't think their squad is anything wonderful, I'd be more worried about Stockport as being the main threat of the newly promoted sides , they've made some very impressive moves. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    If Alfie went to Wrexham, that’s one promotion spot gone, note to board, don’t  sell to rivals if you want to get promoted, it will cost you more in the long run, staying in this division.
    Wrexham aren't as good as everyone makes out. Don't get me wrong they have some good players but they didn't even win league 2 so it's not exactly a given they're going to come in and blow league 1 away.

Could May even play alongside Mullin? Not sure that works as a pairing but i appreciate it's a squad game these days.
    Wrexham at present haven't even improved. They signed 1 player who was there last season anyway. At the moment they are weaker than the team that got them promoted. 

I don't think their squad is anything wonderful, I'd be more worried about Stockport as being the main threat of the newly promoted sides , they've made some very impressive moves. 
    Agree. The 2 times they've been in the same division as Wrexham since the takeover they've finished above them as well. Stevenage, Orient and Northampton all showed with some decent additions coming up from League Two you can do well at this level. I'd argue Stockport were stronger than any of those 3 were when they came up and they've made some very good signings already to improve even further.
  • Options
    I’m sure Wrexham will spend big, they’ll have to, if they want to make a mark in this division.
    Don’t they have FFP barriers to that? Read it somewhere a few weeks back
  • Options
    Whilst i don't want to see him go, if we can replace him with somebody similar in Gooden & use the rest of the money to get some of our other first choice targets over the line then It makes a degree of sense considering the overhaul of a squad we need

• Options
    IF we're offered anywhere near £1m, it's a done deal. 
  • Options
    Don’t they have FFP barriers to that? Read it somewhere a few weeks back
    Surely they'll be fine as their revenue is pretty high. In the year they won promotion out of the National League they posted revenue figures of over 10m, which was more than some league one clubs. So i'd expect it's now much higher.

Good sponsors, the TV documentary, sell outs every home game, owners prepared to put money in, i could be wrong but i don't see how they'll struggle too much with FFP.
  • Options
    edited June 28
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Is it a promotion spot gone, if he goes there? - Seeing he's never won promotion from this level
    This might sound simple and very Michael Owen, no one gets promoted until they do. 

May is a victim of being a late bloomer and playing in three shit teams three seasons in a row, in Cheltenham twice and then us. Had May been at Derby, Oxford, Bolton, Pompey etc, he'd be a championship player right now. They'd all have been better off with him, and him being on anyone of those teams, I'd even add Peterborough, could have changed the standings completely. Pretty sure we would be in league 2 without him. (I am of course aware 5 teams can't go up, just pointing out he's more than good enough got top6'

He is arguably the only player in the team that could hold his own in the level above I'd say, and deserves to be playing at the level above based on his performance last level. Similar to how nit every player promoted is actually ready for that level, there will be a fair few players who didn't go up, who probably deserved to, like Dion Charles, Aaron Collins, Ronnie Edwards etc.

There is no doubt that sides like Wrexham and Huddersfields chances increase drastically if they sign the best striker in the league, would be quite bizarre to think otherwise surely? 
    I’m not sure about that, other than Bolton. We’ve seen May playing up front on his own and it doesn’t work. He wouldn’t have been anywhere near as effective at most of those clubs, other than Bolton who he would have fit much better and probably would have made the difference for them 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Is it a promotion spot gone, if he goes there? - Seeing he's never won promotion from this level
    This might sound simple and very Michael Owen, no one gets promoted until they do. 

May is a victim of being a late bloomer and playing in three shit teams three seasons in a row, in Cheltenham twice and then us. Had May been at Derby, Oxford, Bolton, Pompey etc, he'd be a championship player right now. They'd all have been better off with him, and him being on anyone of those teams, I'd even add Peterborough, could have changed the standings completely. Pretty sure we would be in league 2 without him. (I am of course aware 5 teams can't go up, just pointing out he's more than good enough got top6'

He is arguably the only player in the team that could hold his own in the level above I'd say, and deserves to be playing at the level above based on his performance last level. Similar to how nit every player promoted is actually ready for that level, there will be a fair few players who didn't go up, who probably deserved to, like Dion Charles, Aaron Collins, Ronnie Edwards etc.

There is no doubt that sides like Wrexham and Huddersfields chances increase drastically if they sign the best striker in the league, would be quite bizarre to think otherwise surely? 
    You say "he's arguably the one player who could hold his own in the level above" and "deserves to be playing at the level above based on his performance last level" but as far as we know no championship team has ever of made an offer for him.
    Which I believe tells us that he's not a championship level player.
    That's not to say that I want him to go but sometimes, as supporters, we're not the best judges of a players capabilities. 
  • Options
    Can’t see him going to Wrexham . Despite all the Hollywood talk they still haven’t spent over 300k on a player. I seriously think they could struggle next season .The gulf between conference and league 2 is not  that  big.
     They are now in a division with a number of  bigger , richer clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

I’m not sure about that, other than Bolton. We’ve seen May playing up front on his own and it doesn’t work. He wouldn’t have been anywhere near as effective at most of those clubs, other than Bolton who he would have fit much better and probably would have made the difference for them 
    Genuinely think I saw groups from everyone of those fanbases say they'd love May. I spoke to a fair amount of fans last season, and they all spoke about May to me and said they'd love him in their side. It's all hypothetical, but I reckon every manager would have signed him in January if they were capable. 

Taxi_Lad said:

You say "he's arguably the one player who could hold his own in the level above" and "deserves to be playing at the level above based on his performance last level" but as far as we know no championship team has ever of made an offer for him.
    Which I believe tells us that he's not a championship level player.
    That's not to say that I want him to go but sometimes, as supporters, we're not the best judges of a players capabilities. 
    He has only just hit his prime the last 2-3 seasons, and now unfortunately for him, his age is against him. I think I said it before about Lyle Taylor, no Championship side was interested, until they were. Then it was Leeds, Brentford and finally Nottignham Forest interested in him who got him. I think had he stayed at Wimbledon or moved to a similar level club, he wouldn't have moved and would have been in a similar position to May now. 

Some players unfortunately don't get to play at their true level, timing is everything in this sport. There's definitely worse strikers under Championship contracts. 

It's the same now as technically speaking, Ahadme and Ladapo are premier league strikers, and were Championship, but we all know they aren't. 

I think it's a bit unfair on May who was held back by poor teammates and poor managers. Why I find it quite frustrating that we now have a decent manager, and he doesn't suit his style it seems.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

Genuinely think I saw groups from everyone of those fanbases say they'd love May. I spoke to a fair amount of fans last season, and they all spoke about May to me and said they'd love him in their side. It's all hypothetical, but I reckon every manager would have signed him in January if they were capable. 
    How come only one manager is in for him now then? And it’s one that is stuck to a 3-5-2 system 

May is brilliant and there’s no way we should sell him. But there is no chance he would be better for Pompey than Bishop/Yengi playing that lone striker role. That’s why he’s in league 1, because he only fits a front 2 and that makes him quite limiting tactically. We play a front 2 though so I have no idea wtf we are doing 
  • Options

• Options
    I think he’s going. They had a chance to deny it last light and didn’t. Sounds like they’re discussing it with Huddersfield from what Cawley has said. 
  • Options
    Got Huddersfield last home game of season - odds on Alfie to send us down..?
    Huddersfield at home in March. We should still be hanging on by then.
  • Options
    Got Huddersfield last home game of season - odds on Alfie to send us down..?
    Huddersfield at home in March. We should still be hanging on by then.
    Oh yeh! Well maybe just..
  • Options
    One golden season Alfie.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I think the point is that we signed him after a season where we finished 10th and ended up 16th. We only lost one key player from the previous season's squad but still ended up a substantially worse team despite bringing him in. A 20 goal a season striker doesn't actually guarantee promotion and only increases your chances relative to the rest of your team. Wrexham will have to do a lot of work in the transfer market to get themselves to a point where they're seen as a definite promotion team so someone saying that Alfie going there means they're already up doesn't really ring true.
    Key part you haven't mentioned there though, is the level increase last season. The league gets tougher each year and while teams improve, we don't seem to. We will see in a few weeks but so far, we are nowhere near that top6. It's not May, Dobbo or CBTs fault we didn't get top6, it's all the other shit houses around them and poor managerial decisions. 

Alfie May going to Wrexham drastically increases their chances of fighting for promotion, Wrexham would beat us atm, as would Stockport and Mansfield probably. Stability and momentum can't be underestimated, and they'll add to what they've got. Him going to Huddersfield is practically giving them a promotion spot, it's bad news giving a team who have just been relegated the best player in the league.
    Does the league get tougher each season? I think this season was the best chance we'd had to go up in a long time. An unstoppable Plymouth, Ipswich and Wednesday gone, two teams with points deductions, a league so poor Lincoln, Stevenage and Orient were firmly top half. We have absolutely no idea if the newly promoted teams would beat us at the moment, that's total baseless speculation. Only two teams beat us since Jones came in and those were his first and last games so it would be odd for us to be getting turned over by Mansfield wouldn't it? But that's beside the point of what I'm saying anyway, you've sort of said it yourself; it doesn't matter how good your best few players are if the players around them and the manager aren't up to it. We finished the 22/23 season with AMB, Hector, Thomas, Fraser, Campbell and Leaburn in the starting 11 and Mitchell, Asiimwe and Kanu on the bench, two of them getting on. Six of those then played against Orient on the first day the next season and it would have been more but Dobson was absent for the Cheltenham game and Leaburn injured for the Orient game. Same manager as well, but the new shape didn't work, the manager didn't get the players he wanted and we were rubbish despite May's goals. Huddersfield are coming off a horrible season where they've been abject and are losing players. We don't know if they'll be good next season or not, it's ridiculous to assume Huddersfield are guaranteed promotion with May while we wouldn't even beat Stockport at this stage, that's just negativity for negativity's sake. The point remains though that just getting a good goalscorer isn't a guarantee of promotion, which was the original statement, we're living proof of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Taxi_Lad said:

How come only one manager is in for him now then? And it’s one that is stuck to a 3-5-2 system 

May is brilliant and there’s no way we should sell him. But there is no chance he would be better for Pompey than Bishop/Yengi playing that lone striker role. That’s why he’s in league 1, because he only fits a front 2 and that makes him quite limiting tactically. We play a front 2 though so I have no idea wtf we are doing 
    Well, Pompey, Derby and Oxford all got promoted and probably think they can do better with his age going against him, Peterborough wouldn't buy him cause of his age and Bolton already have Charles. I'd imagine if he had just had the season he he's had for us for any of those they wouldn't be looking to sell, except maybe Peterborough. All speculation anyway now and kind of pointless, looking very much like he's gone.
  • Options
    Cawley saying his wife is from Yorkshire and has moved back there. He’s going. I love South London but have also made that move and it’s a no brainer.

Sadly, I’m not quite on footballer’s wages. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I think the point is that we signed him after a season where we finished 10th and ended up 16th. We only lost one key player from the previous season's squad but still ended up a substantially worse team despite bringing him in. A 20 goal a season striker doesn't actually guarantee promotion and only increases your chances relative to the rest of your team. Wrexham will have to do a lot of work in the transfer market to get themselves to a point where they're seen as a definite promotion team so someone saying that Alfie going there means they're already up doesn't really ring true.
    Key part you haven't mentioned there though, is the level increase last season. The league gets tougher each year and while teams improve, we don't seem to. We will see in a few weeks but so far, we are nowhere near that top6. It's not May, Dobbo or CBTs fault we didn't get top6, it's all the other shit houses around them and poor managerial decisions. 

Alfie May going to Wrexham drastically increases their chances of fighting for promotion, Wrexham would beat us atm, as would Stockport and Mansfield probably. Stability and momentum can't be underestimated, and they'll add to what they've got. Him going to Huddersfield is practically giving them a promotion spot, it's bad news giving a team who have just been relegated the best player in the league.
    Does the league get tougher each season? I think this season was the best chance we'd had to go up in a long time. An unstoppable Plymouth, Ipswich and Wednesday gone, two teams with points deductions, a league so poor Lincoln, Stevenage and Orient were firmly top half. We have absolutely no idea if the newly promoted teams would beat us at the moment, that's total baseless speculation. Only two teams beat us since Jones came in and those were his first and last games so it would be odd for us to be getting turned over by Mansfield wouldn't it? But that's beside the point of what I'm saying anyway, you've sort of said it yourself; it doesn't matter how good your best few players are if the players around them and the manager aren't up to it. We finished the 22/23 season with AMB, Hector, Thomas, Fraser, Campbell and Leaburn in the starting 11 and Mitchell, Asiimwe and Kanu on the bench, two of them getting on. Six of those then played against Orient on the first day the next season and it would have been more but Dobson was absent for the Cheltenham game and Leaburn injured for the Orient game. Same manager as well, but the new shape didn't work, the manager didn't get the players he wanted and we were rubbish despite May's goals. Huddersfield are coming off a horrible season where they've been abject and are losing players. We don't know if they'll be good next season or not, it's ridiculous to assume Huddersfield are guaranteed promotion with May while we wouldn't even beat Stockport at this stage, that's just negativity for negativity's sake. The point remains though that just getting a good goalscorer isn't a guarantee of promotion, which was the original statement, we're living proof of that.
    Well we have placed lower each season we have been down here bar one season? 7th, 13th, 10th, 16th. It certainly ain't getting any easier, and the teams coming down are stronger imo, and the ones coming up are stronger than the last batch from what I've seen.

It's also a point that you ain't getting promoted without a good goalscorer, or goals spread throughout the team, which we will soon have neither. 

It's my personal belief/prediction we have just gifted Huddersfield promotion with a nice ribbon. Hopefully I'm wrong, and there's more to come from us, don't see it.
  • Options
    Big call (mistake imo) to let May go, but only fair to judge us on our squad away at Wigan/end of transfer window. A reminder it's day 2 of pre season and our defence which was rightly vilified last season looks like it's stronger already. 
  • Options
    Got LOL’d for saying his missus was homesick as well back in May 🙄
  • Options
    Alfie is a more than proven goalscorer at this L1 level but he's 31, after 3 great (personal) seasons his worth can't be much higher. Some element of a move, if it's true, might be down to him (deservedly) cashing in while he can command better money?