Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham on 3 year deal according to Cawley (p49)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Part of this reminds me of Guardiola's early dissatisfaction with Aguero.

I remember when Aguero scored a hat trick in the Borussia game in 2016, and yet got bollocked by Pep for not performing his other duties - marking, pressing, keeping possession. 

The difference being that Guardiola worked with Aguero to improve him and make him do the work.

I fully support Jones in bringing in his own players. What I find sad is that he won't even work with May, who is clearly a top talent in this league, and was fantastic for us. 
    However Pep also has previous for simply just getting rid of players if feels they don't suit how he wants to play. His first acts as Barcelona manager were to get rid of Deco and Ronaldinho which weren't popular decisions.........and then he won the treble.

Did similar at City, went in and immediately got rid of Joe Hart who was England number 1 and had been at City for almost 10 years. I doubt many City fans care about that now.

Jones will live or die by this decision and who he brings in as replacements, but that's what he is paid to do.
  • Options
    Someone on FB, who's close mates with May is saying, and I paraphrase -: May and Jones don't like each other. May wants to play CF, Jones wants him out wide. Wife wants out of London and wants to 'go home'. Brum have offered us more money, close to £1m, which is more than Udders offered. May will get a substantial increase in wages.
    That's about it, have no idea if genuine or not, just thought I'd put it on here. 
    With everything else being said, I guess he's going, I just hope we have at least 2 suitable replacements. However, as I've said, there is diddly squat, we can do about it!

Can we please stop talking about bloody May and get back to the rumours thread? 

Just kidding my friend. 😉
  • Options
    Polish Pete, cmon down!!
  • Options
    edited June 29
    Basically we’re ripping it all up on team selection , and starting again, that is a big big call, must have some bonza signings lined up.

I just can’t see us getting promotion this season without Alfie, which says to me, their isn’t enough money in the budget this season, to achieve promotion,

We are acting like a mid table club, that could get relegated, if injuries kicked in again, I wonder how long the losses will be funded for by our owners?
  • Options
    Basically we’re ripping it all up on team selection , and starting again, that is a big big call, must have some bonza signings lined up.

I just can’t see us getting promotion this season without Alfie, which says to me, their isn’t enough money in the budget this season, to achieve promotion,

We are acting like a mid table club, that could get relegated, if injuries kicked in again, I wonder how long the losses will be funded for by our owners?
    The longer we stay in this division the quicker we'll stagnate and become another Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    Alfie May said to my mate after a few weeks with Jones in charge , Jones doesn’t like me and I’ve tried to talk to him and he doesn’t want to know 
    freak show 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone on FB, who's close mates with May is saying, and I paraphrase -: May and Jones don't like each other. May wants to play CF, Jones wants him out wide. Wife wants out of London and wants to 'go home'. Brum have offered us more money, close to £1m, which is more than Udders offered. May will get a substantial increase in wages.
    That's about it, have no idea if genuine or not, just thought I'd put it on here. 
    With everything else being said, I guess he's going, I just hope we have at least 2 suitable replacements. However, as I've said, there is diddly squat, we can do about it!

What I don't understand is, why would Hudds or Brum think it's good business to pay £1m? for May. But our Manager / Owners, think they can use the same amount to buy not just one, but maybe two strikers, plus maybe even a goalkeeper etc. Are they the poorly run clubs, because they got relegated, or are we the poorly run club for finishing bottom half with the golden boot boy, and then saying he's not all that, you can have him, we can find better! 
    I don’t think it’s a case of he’s not all that or we can find better but a case of we can find better that suits NJ style of play. Then factor in that maybe Alfie wants to go to be closer to his missus and kids who have now returned to Yorkshire to live. Or do we hang on to a player who has just missed his last chance of a big payday (certainly if he goes to Brum) and is missing his family which in turn affects his performances. It’s not ideal but it might be best for all concerned if he moves on. Only time will tell.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    You can’t keep asking us to invest in the team and then keep sending off the ones we’re invested in.

This club is an emotional rollercoaster, but not the fun kind. One that staples your genitals to the seat, turns you upside down, inside out, and dips your head in shit before slamming you into a brick wall.
    Is that a new ride at Alton Towers?
    The Valley of Doom 
  • Options
    edited June 30

Very clear last season, that May out wide, was the worst position he played in for us. Concern  if Jones sees a player like that and thinks out wide works best. It's FB anyway, so very likely didn't happen and the FB poster has never even spoken to May.
  • Options

Very clear last season, that May out wide, was the worst position he played in for us. Concern  if Jones sees a player like that and thinks out wide works best. It's FB anyway, so very likely didn't happen and the FB poster has never even spoken to May.
    Jones uses 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond so if there’s any truth in it I would imagine it’s more that Jones wants his strikers drifting wide like Bowyer’s did when he used those formations.

Perhaps May doesn’t see that he should do that due to his goalscoring record over the last three seasons, but for Jones it’s a vital part of what he wants strikers to do.
  • Options
    To be fair to May, he's not exactly an assist leader so sticking him wide is wasteful of his ability.
  • Options
    And in fairness to Jones, there is a suggestion Alfie is decent cutting in from the wings...

• Options
    Gribbo said:

I stopped reading after "FB"
    No different to stuff that gets posted on here tbh. Just up to you how much you choose to believe it
    To be fair, Facebook does definitely contain more Charlton-related bollocks than this site.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Gribbo said:

I stopped reading after "FB"
    No different to stuff that gets posted on here tbh. Just up to you how much you choose to believe it
    To be fair, Facebook does definitely contain more Charlton-related bollocks than this site.
    Maybe the bollocks on Facebook is intentionally posted to wind people up? However, I think there's definitely a similar amount of misinformation comes up on here.

- Nuggets of info being shared, then others putting 2 and 2 togather, coming up with 5.

- People stating their opinions as facts, and others going with it etc
  • Options
    edited June 30

I’d say that it was clear that May’s worst position was up front on his own. From what I remember he was surprisingly effective off the right wing or playing off a big man, whether as a two together or Alfie as the 10.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I really can’t, regardless of how Jones wants to play, see any upside of selling a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker to a supposed promotion rival.
    Maybe they know we haven't got the budget to get promoted This season?
  • Options
    Madness
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I really can’t, regardless of how Jones wants to play, see any upside of selling a guaranteed 20+ goals a season striker to a supposed promotion rival.
    Because we were being offered decent dough for a player who wanted to move maybe?

One would hope that between Rodwell and Jones, theres alread a good replcement lined up