Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Officials adopt new approach for 2023/24 season

Comments

• Options
    Bilko said:
    I'd like to see the match sponsors come on earlier before the match starts so that they can get off the pitch so we can actually KO at 3pm instead of about 3.04 pm every home game 
    I never understand how we can never KO at 3pm.
    I’m sure the clocks in the changing rooms are slow.
    I think Bob Bolder brings the sponsors out a couple of minutes later than he should. 
    Typical goalie, trying to delay a restart. 
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    I'd like to see the match sponsors come on earlier before the match starts so that they can get off the pitch so we can actually KO at 3pm instead of about 3.04 pm every home game 
    I never understand how we can never KO at 3pm.
    I’m sure the clocks in the changing rooms are slow.
    I think Bob Bolder brings the sponsors out a couple of minutes later than he should. 
    To be fair it must be hard work dragging them out of the lounges.

"We've been having a lovely day. Don't spoil it my making us watch Charlton."
  • Options
    There should be no room for ambiguity yet it:

A ‘deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball and with the possibility of:
    • ...; or
    • Gaining possession of the ball;
    So you can have control of the ball but not be in possession of the ball????
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    What about in Sunday League football when the ball ends up in a bush and covered in dogshit?

Should the time be stopped for; 

a) the retrieval of the ball from the bush,
    b) the additional time taken to wipe off the dog shit with your sleeve, or
    c) both - stop the clock as soon as the ball goes over the line.
    Who the fuck would do that with their sleeve???

You wipe it on the grass and hope it hasn't stuck to the stitching...
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    What about in Sunday League football when the ball ends up in a bush and covered in dogshit?

Should the time be stopped for; 

a) the retrieval of the ball from the bush,
    b) the additional time taken to wipe off the dog shit with your sleeve, or
    c) both - stop the clock as soon as the ball goes over the line.
    a) Retrieval from the bush doesn't count unless it's a bit prickly and might scratch someone's arms
    b) + c) If the ball is deliberately kicked into dog shit, there will be a yellow card issued. Referees will carry a disposable cloth to wipe dog shit off the ball and allow 20 seconds for such act. Additional time may be added to deposit used cloth in the nearest bin.
  • Options
    There should be an automatic substantial fine if a minimum time of the ball being in play isn’t achieved with the fine allocated proportionally to each team based upon the amount of possession they had. That substantial fine could be on a scale for each division so that it’s really high for a PL club and decreases down the leagues so that it’s proportional to the impact on club finances in each league but still enough to mean that club owners won’t want to get hit with them, at least too often, and will let their managers know it.
  • Options
    I really like the idea of players who stand over the ball delaying restart being punished. I just hope refs really do follow. We may see a lot of yellow cards early on but players will respond and start backtracking
  • Options
    I think that the average football match has the ball in play between 45 and 65 minutes, losing up to a half of what we have paid for. Karl Robinson said that when Bolton played the bigger side Allardyce told his players to lose as much time by slowing the game down.
  • Options
    The first opportunity to see how the 'new approach' works in tonight's live game on SKY between Sheff Weds & Southampton, will be interesting to see how much time is added on to each half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    The first opportunity to see how the 'new approach' works in tonight's live game on SKY between Sheff Weds & Southampton, will be interesting to see how much time is added on to each half.
    Not to mention that 30-second rule, where if a player goes off injured, they cant come back on until that length of time has elapsed... As Holden said last night, thats gonna frustrate teams / fans
  • Options
    Six minutes added to 1st half, no physios were on the pitch in the half.
  • Options
    9 yellows 😂and not even a dirty game.
  • Options
    9 minutes added on to the 2nd half.
  • Options
    redman said:
    I really like the idea of players who stand over the ball delaying restart being punished. I just hope refs really do follow. We may see a lot of yellow cards early on but players will respond and start backtracking
    Should also apply when a player picks up the ball when he fouls someone and walks away with it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Any attempt to cut out time wasting gets my vote. It`s dishonest and is abused to achieve an unfair advantage. Maintain the standards we all want to see.
    I admire the sentiment.

But when we're 1-0 up and under the cosh in the last minute of normal time and the board goes up with "24" on it, let's see how we all feel about it then!
    What if we are 1-0 down? Would you be happy to lose 24 minutes? 
    Eh?

All I'm saying is that if a board goes up with 24 minutes on it when we're hanging on then it will be interesting to see how we feel about it then.
    And he’s asking how you’d feel if the board doesn’t go up showing 24, 24 minutes have been lost due to timewasting, and we’re 0-1down. 
  • Options
    Notice amongst the yellow cards for kicking the ball away last night, that one player (Southampton I think), sneakily kept trotting kicking the ball after the whistle had gone, and didn't get in trouble for it.
  • Options

The ball was in play a smidgen under 70 minutes last night.  In the whole of the Championship season last season only one game had the ball in play for more than 66 minutes.
  • Options
    In one of the women's world cup games there was 9 minutes added on and then another 6 minutes were correctly played for stoppages during the 9 minutes. It was quite exciting but back to the old days when nobody except the ref knew when the game would end ! Maybe they should stop the clock so we all know.
  • Options
    I hate these new injury time rules. Aside from the fact it's going to lead to millions of late goals before teams find another way to game it out, it's a sticking plaster for an ongoing problem rather than a solution. Opposition building momentum and you need to slow it down? Sod it, take the extra 90 seconds added time and break up the play. Opposition launching cross after cross into your box? Take the booking on your keeper, it's worth it. I know refs have started the season a little bit quicker to book players but I don't think it will mean anything until people start getting regularly sent off for time wasting. The problem is refs will be hesitant to do that. Keepers will get first and second warnings after their first yellow as refs won't want to send off a keeper, possibly without a sub available, and alter the outcome of a game. They'll do the same with players who are on a yellow from a tackle earlier in the game, they'll give players rope on these decisions and that will keep ramping the time up on the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Not to mention that 30-second rule, where if a player goes off injured, they cant come back on until that length of time has elapsed... As Holden said last night, thats gonna frustrate teams / fans
    Hopefully it will reduce fake injuries but maybe not those doing it to slow down the game when the opposition is bossing it.

I totally agree with clamping down on discipline though.

I wonder if the average time added in will reduce during the season when it downs on players that there is no point wasting time if it just going to (rightly) be added on anyway
  • Options
    I hate these new injury time rules. Aside from the fact it's going to lead to millions of late goals before teams find another way to game it out, it's a sticking plaster for an ongoing problem rather than a solution. Opposition building momentum and you need to slow it down? Sod it, take the extra 90 seconds added time and break up the play. Opposition launching cross after cross into your box? Take the booking on your keeper, it's worth it. I know refs have started the season a little bit quicker to book players but I don't think it will mean anything until people start getting regularly sent off for time wasting. The problem is refs will be hesitant to do that. Keepers will get first and second warnings after their first yellow as refs won't want to send off a keeper, possibly without a sub available, and alter the outcome of a game. They'll do the same with players who are on a yellow from a tackle earlier in the game, they'll give players rope on these decisions and that will keep ramping the time up on the end.
    I do wonder in games where teams literally park the bus if they will just sub the keeper after 70 minutes when he has already taken a yellow.
  • Options
    Didn't feel any longer than normal. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Not as frustrating as looking forward to the last ten minutes of an exciting game and getting a series of substitutions and injuries followed by extra time consisting of more injuries and substitutions.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Not as frustrating as looking forward to the last ten minutes of an exciting game and getting a series of substitutions and injuries followed by extra time consisting of more injuries and substitutions.
    Why would there be? Players will adapt to the extra few minutes, which hopefully won't be as many once teams realise there is no point 'time-wasting' as the time will just get added on
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I do wonder in games where teams literally park the bus if they will just sub the keeper after 70 minutes when he has already taken a yellow.
    Yellow card for incorrect use of the word 'literally'! :smiley:

On a more serious note, pretty much all of these problems would be solved by referees actually implementing the rules correctly. Dissent is a particular issue for me as it could be eliminated almost immediately if the ref's took a more rugby-like approach and just did not put up with any of the shit that modern players give them. Sure, there would be an absolute flurry of yellows and reds in the first few matches (which would be worth watching just for that) but players would quickly catch on that you do not surround the ref, bitching and moaning after every decision. Similarly with time wasting. Book them every single time and it will stop. 
    Totally agree with the discipline. It's not rocket science, the refs just have to implement the rules. I've been saying this for years - a flurry of cards at the start of the season - just by implementing to existing rules - and hey presto, the ridiculous and totally unacceptable behaviour will stop

Surely there is footage of Trevor Kettle - who for all his other issues, did actual book players! But it needs to be done across the board
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yellow card for incorrect use of the word 'literally'! :smiley:

On a more serious note, pretty much all of these problems would be solved by referees actually implementing the rules correctly. Dissent is a particular issue for me as it could be eliminated almost immediately if the ref's took a more rugby-like approach and just did not put up with any of the shit that modern players give them. Sure, there would be an absolute flurry of yellows and reds in the first few matches (which would be worth watching just for that) but players would quickly catch on that you do not surround the ref, bitching and moaning after every decision. Similarly with time wasting. Book them every single time and it will stop. 
    I used it correctly, if the goal keeper is booked for parking a bus in his 6 yard box sub him off and the other keeper can do it as well 😉 
  • Options
    I was at Chesterfield v Dorking on Saturday and when I found out it was 13 minutes I was shocked, until I remembered this rule. And I thought it was fucking awful. It's like the sword of Damocles hanging over the game for the last few minutes. Nobody really knows how much longer is left because they're still stopping the watch in injury time. It was well past 5pm and nobody knew when they'd be leaving, and the coaches didn't know when best to bring on subs. 

I hated it, and what bothers me is that I don't think this is going to change the way footballers behave. It's not going to get any shorter. 
  • Options
    Don’t get the argument against, which seems to be, I want to watch less actual football