Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Officials adopt new approach for 2023/24 season

13»

Comments

• Options
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/87266/how-many-minutes-of-football-do-you-reckon-you-saw-today/p1

On 3rd November 2019, following our 1-0 home defeat to Preston, I raised this very issue in the above thread. That day, including added time, of the 53 mins 6 secs 2nd half duration, the ball was in play for 22 mins 45 secs. It was not in play for 30 mins 21 secs. The game was stopped 69 times in that half alone. It's taken a while for something to be done but too many teams have been getting away with gamesmanship for far too long and anything that can be done to give, not added value but the value they pay for has to be a good thing.

Thins started to change last season with less stoppages for players going down "injured" and that helped to prevent players from feigning injuries as much as they used to and now bookings for time wasting will stop the kicking of balls away at free kicks, standing over the ball, keepers taking an age to take a goal kick etc etc from that happening. I hope that this isn't watered down as the season goes on. 

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Don’t get the argument against, which seems to be, I want to watch less actual football 
    Agreed! Why on earth should you sometimes get 55 minutes of play and other times get 45 minutes when there are lots of substitutions and injuries!

But I do think they should look to stopping the clock so everyone knows how long there is to go.

• Options
    Has it been announced why we didn't follow the new guidelines of displaying injury time in our match on Saturday.

I was under the impression unless you couldn't due to technological issues all clubs were supposed to now show injury time instead of stopping the clock at 90 minutes 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I hate these new injury time rules. Aside from the fact it's going to lead to millions of late goals before teams find another way to game it out, it's a sticking plaster for an ongoing problem rather than a solution. Opposition building momentum and you need to slow it down? Sod it, take the extra 90 seconds added time and break up the play. Opposition launching cross after cross into your box? Take the booking on your keeper, it's worth it. I know refs have started the season a little bit quicker to book players but I don't think it will mean anything until people start getting regularly sent off for time wasting. The problem is refs will be hesitant to do that. Keepers will get first and second warnings after their first yellow as refs won't want to send off a keeper, possibly without a sub available, and alter the outcome of a game. They'll do the same with players who are on a yellow from a tackle earlier in the game, they'll give players rope on these decisions and that will keep ramping the time up on the end.
    I do wonder in games where teams literally park the bus if they will just sub the keeper after 70 minutes when he has already taken a yellow.
    Yellow card for incorrect use of the word 'literally'! :smiley:

On a more serious note, pretty much all of these problems would be solved by referees actually implementing the rules correctly. Dissent is a particular issue for me as it could be eliminated almost immediately if the ref's took a more rugby-like approach and just did not put up with any of the shit that modern players give them. Sure, there would be an absolute flurry of yellows and reds in the first few matches (which would be worth watching just for that) but players would quickly catch on that you do not surround the ref, bitching and moaning after every decision. Similarly with time wasting. Book them every single time and it will stop. 
    Saturday's ref did! Got in there sharp and early on Alfie May. Barely a peep from anyone else on either side for the rest of the game. He also booked two of Orient early for fouls that stopped Charlton progress, and that was pretty much the end of that sort of behaviour too. The yellows for Fraser and AMB were absolutely deserved too. I thought he reffed it excellently tbh, and I hope other refs with these new directives are similarly quick to stamp out bad conduct
  • Options
    I have noticed watching the weekend games that some fouls aren't considerd fouls anymore! this could end up messy like the handball law. Agree with the extra game time though.
  • Options
    I'd like to see the match sponsors come on earlier before the match starts so that they can get off the pitch so we can actually KO at 3pm instead of about 3.04 pm every home game 
    The EFL has written to its clubs to urge them to kick off on time in the aftermath of new rules that saw opening day matches significantly lengthened.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12386003/EFL-warn-clubs-failure-kick-time-officials-write-clubs-asking-ensure-matches-underway-time-new-reset-regulations-saw-games-lengthened-average-nearly-SIX-minutes-opening-weekend.html
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I was at Chesterfield v Dorking on Saturday and when I found out it was 13 minutes I was shocked, until I remembered this rule. And I thought it was fucking awful. It's like the sword of Damocles hanging over the game for the last few minutes. Nobody really knows how much longer is left because they're still stopping the watch in injury time. It was well past 5pm and nobody knew when they'd be leaving, and the coaches didn't know when best to bring on subs. 

I hated it, and what bothers me is that I don't think this is going to change the way footballers behave. It's not going to get any shorter. 
    Where there is a stadium screen with a clock the time is supposed to keep running.

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I was at Chesterfield v Dorking on Saturday and when I found out it was 13 minutes I was shocked, until I remembered this rule. And I thought it was fucking awful. It's like the sword of Damocles hanging over the game for the last few minutes. Nobody really knows how much longer is left because they're still stopping the watch in injury time. It was well past 5pm and nobody knew when they'd be leaving, and the coaches didn't know when best to bring on subs. 

I hated it, and what bothers me is that I don't think this is going to change the way footballers behave. It's not going to get any shorter. 
    Where there is a stadium screen with a clock the time is supposed to keep running.

Which we didn't do, which makes no sense, 

I put that on this thread a couple of days ago to ask if anyone knows why we didn't carry the clock running, I don't see why we can't 
  • Options
    Probably requires a software update... :-)
  • Options
    I just let my watch run through as I didn’t expect the screen to keep ticking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    certainly hope refs continue and don't see it as job done.
    They have stopped enforcing the new interpretation of players have to get booked for kicking the ball away. Has crept back in. Same for players not retreating straight away from free kick. 
  • Options
    Interesting that May picked up a flurry of bookings at the start of the season for pretty minor dissent issues, taking him to the threshold of a ban, but nothing since then.

Has May changed, or the refereeing?
  • Options
    Interesting that May picked up a flurry of bookings at the start of the season for pretty minor dissent issues, taking him to the threshold of a ban, but nothing since then.

Has May changed, or the refereeing?
    Pretty sure May has. Think he acknowledged a lot of his bookings were unnecessary (on his part) in an interview. 
  • Options

English Football League: Ball-in-play time up due to time-wasting and added-time measures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67788454
  • Options
    I have said it many times it should be a straight red for a player taking his shirt off when scoring a goal.