Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Did England mug Samoa today; yes they did.
    4 wins and England still look hot and cold.
    Was that really a knock on when there was English hands on the ball as well. The try being given and the conversion missed before they had another look !

Ireland, South Africa, France and New Zealand looked the best 4 teams in the WC before a try was scored and nothing has changed my mind.

Because of the draw they won't all be in the semi finals but they are the strongest.

Ireland have their best ever chance and they are such a strong team who play with such nous. Making a half decent Scottish team look 2nd rate.

• Did England mug Samoa today; yes they did.
    4 wins and England still look hot and cold.
    Was that really a knock on when there was English hands on the ball as well. The try being given and the conversion missed before they had another look !

Ireland, South Africa, France and New Zealand looked the best 4 teams in the WC before a try was scored and nothing has changed my mind.

Because of the draw they won't all be in the semi finals but they are the strongest.

Ireland have their best ever chance and they are such a strong team who play with such nous. Making a half decent Scottish team look 2nd rate.

Yep think the Semis could be a bit one sided.
  • That's Rassie Erasmus for you - he is utterly disgraceful. Other's don't think like him, fortunately

I predicted there would be some doping scandal around the SA players
  • Yes that is a joke 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Time for these 2nd tier teams like Scotland and Italy to play in a pre World Cup tournament for the right to play with the big boys 

can’t keep having these one sided games against the minnows 
    Maybe they should play the Raiders. 
  • Real quandary now.
    The last two Ireland games I’ve missed because of a gig & a surprise roundy birthday party.
    I can’t possibly watch the All Blacks game now can I? 🥺🫣😫😞
  • Definitely a quandary...

How many surprise birthday parties can you stand???
  • Real quandary now.
    The last two Ireland games I’ve missed because of a gig & a surprise roundy birthday party.
    Big believer that superstition is bollocks, so enjoy the game!!
  • MrOneLung said:
    Time for these 2nd tier teams like Scotland and Italy to play in a pre World Cup tournament for the right to play with the big boys 

can’t keep having these one sided games against the minnows 
    Certainly time for the group draw to be done much nearer the time. Sadly the 5th ranked team in the world was unlikely to qualify from a group with the nos 1 and 2 (it doesn't get worse then that!). But then again, I like your idea, with England and Wales being ranked lower than Scotland, it would have been them not Scotland in the pre World Cup tournament - so maybe you are on to something.

If teams below 8 in the world had to qualify, England (and of course Scotland as were ranked higher) would have been ok, but not Wales! If it was the top 8, England would have just squeaked in

At least they have ackonwledged they drew the groups way too early

World Rugby men’s rankings

(Teams in bold competing at 2023 World Cup)

1. Ireland

2. South Africa

3. France

4. New Zealand

5. Scotland

6. Argentina

7. Fiji

8. England

9. Australia

10. Wales

11. Georgia

12. Samoa

13. Italy

14. Japan

15. Tonga

16. Portugal

17. Uruguay

18. USA

19. Romania

20. Spain

21. Namibia

22. Chile

23. Canada

24. Hong Kong

• Sponsored links:

• The draw obviously needs looking at as it seems both semi finals are likely to be one sided affairs whereas the quarters have thrown together some matches that could or even should be the final 
  • I remember a Rugby League World Cup, which has even less depth, where it was two groups of 4.

Group 1 had Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain and someone else, Group 2 had 4 someone elses.

The team that won Group 1 played the team that won Group 2 and the 2nd and 3rd place in Group 1 played each other in the other semi.

One sided games help no one but you have to grow the game and share the love.  Its a tough one.
  • Portugal showing that Tier 2 nations deserve more opportunities against Tier 1 nations. Italy shouldn’t have a golden ticket to the elite in fact no one should. 6 nations division 2 with promotion has to happen. Incredible performance again by them.
  • Perfect result that, good to see for Portugal, good to see Fiji be a bit shaky before the England QF, and very good to see Australia go out!
  • edited October 2023
    A tremendous game to end the group stage.

Portugal continued to amaze and played some really good stuff.

Making a decent case for better treatment for Tier 2 nations.

Listened to the 5 Extra coverage, with the TV pictures (much better, though a bit glitchy).

Edit.  I really recommend listening, at least to the second half, again on BBC Sounds.  The commentators were just having the time of their lives, begging for another 40 minutes, with around 10 to go.
  • The quarter final draw emphasises the ridiculous grouping - 2 plays 3 is utterly ridiculous (bit vive la France!) and 1 plays 4. Utterly unfair
  • But I suppose you can get the top four ranked football teams all meeting in the World Cup quarter Finals as well 
  • Hard to see beyond the winners of Ireland/NZ and France/SA then going on to reach the final.

Obviously upsets can happen but i'd expect we're going to get a couple of fairly one sided semi finals. 
  • Condolences Tel.  You must be so sad 🥹
  • Sponsored links:

• Condolences Tel.  You must be so sad 🥹
    I’m fine mate, but thanks for asking 👍🏻
  • Real quandary now.
    me too, but that is probably just the Sagittarius in me. 
  • the 1/4s have two games worthy of a final, Ireland/NZ and France/SA .. the draw must be better handled next time

Portugal !! .. gritty people, like the football team, this determined outfit has surpassed most people's expectations .. like to see them play Italy a few times .. problem will always be squad depth and league structure .. like many of the 'smaller' nations, the stars tend to go to France, that's where the proper league structure AND the money is 

Fiji .. off the boil ? .. but we know that any team facing England tends to get up a scalding head of steam
  • the 1/4s have two games worthy of a final, Ireland/NZ and France/SA .. the draw must be better handled next time

Portugal !! .. gritty people, like the football team, this determined outfit has surpassed most people's expectations .. like to see them play Italy a few times .. problem will always be squad depth and league structure .. like many of the 'smaller' nations, the stars tend to go to France, that's where the proper league structure AND the money is 

Fiji .. off the boil ? .. but we know that any team facing England tends to get up a scalding head of steam
    Why must the draw be "better handled"?  Isn't the purpose of a world championship to find the very best of the best?  If so, then eight of the world's top nine teams competing in the knockout stages is a good thing, isn't it?  And the possibility (or even probability) of Ireland or New Zealand facing France or South African in the final is mouth-watering for rugby fans around the world.  

If Ireland v New Zealand is "worthy of a final", and France v South Africa is too, then surely the winners of each will also be "worthy of a final".  

Would the same complaints about the draw be made if the semi finals were Ireland v South Africa and New Zealand v France?  

I can't see anything in the draw that means the World Cup won't be won by a team that thoroughly deserves to do so. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Real quandary now.
    me too, but that is probably just the Sagittarius in me. 
    I’m a sagittarian & I’m completely superstitious when it comes to sports 😫🫣🤣🤣
  • winner of England/Fiji is going to be the poorest team in the last four since the Jocks in ‘91
  • But a semi final place can't be viewed as a failure even if everything has worked for England.

Argentina proving the exception to the rule, which gave England a bump start to their tournament.
  • Chizz said:
    the 1/4s have two games worthy of a final, Ireland/NZ and France/SA .. the draw must be better handled next time

Why must the draw be "better handled"?  Isn't the purpose of a world championship to find the very best of the best?  If so, then eight of the world's top nine teams competing in the knockout stages is a good thing, isn't it?  And the possibility (or even probability) of Ireland or New Zealand facing France or South African in the final is mouth-watering for rugby fans around the world.  

If Ireland v New Zealand is "worthy of a final", and France v South Africa is too, then surely the winners of each will also be "worthy of a final".  

Would the same complaints about the draw be made if the semi finals were Ireland v South Africa and New Zealand v France?  

I can't see anything in the draw that means the World Cup won't be won by a team that thoroughly deserves to do so. 
    yes, best of the current best, not from 3 years ago

So you wouldn't have the first, second and fifth best in the world in the same group nor have the teams 2 and 3 in the world playing each other in a quarter final
  • edited October 2023
    Chizz said:
    the 1/4s have two games worthy of a final, Ireland/NZ and France/SA .. the draw must be better handled next time

No. Because on current form, not 3 year old seedings, that’s the semi lineup you’d expect. Rugby has already admitted they were wrong, so hopefully the one sided nature of the draw won’t happen again. 

I doubt whether those 4 mentioned will lose sleep over it. They’ll all know that they have to beat the best of the rest at some stage. You’d usually expect that to come later than the quarters pairing them all up at once, but I just hope it doesn’t make any final too one sided.