Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Good game & a good win for Wales 
  • Options
    Jesus that was a dramatic finish!

England v Wales in the QF looking on?
  • Options
    What a great finish 
  • Options
    Great climax to the game and the fumble at the death stopped Fiji going over for a try and having a conversion for a come back win.
    Wales defended so much better 2nd half but were allowed to transgress a lot with out receiving multi yellow cards.

Good Sunday night entertainment.

• Options
    It was nice to see that the famously busy President of the Football Association managed to find time in his diary to travel to France to watch Wales play rugby against Fiji. 
  • Options
    It was an enjoyable match. I wouldn't be too harsh on myself if I was Wales. That was a game that could have gone either way before it started and it went their way. 
  • Options
    I am praying that Borthwick resists the temptation to recall Farrell or Vunipola for ANY of the remaining tournament games .. that team effort against the not so Argy Bargies deserves wholesale re-selection even against the weaker pool teams, it's essential to improve team tactics and cohesion
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Watched the Wales game after being out at a gig (Dogtail Soup Trio, google them, really good)

Best game, entertainment wise, so far.
    Some great rugby, monster tackles & pure flair.

Wales were VERY lucky to keep their full complement at the end & my heart broke for the Fijian lad who knocked on.

Fabulous 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It was nice to see that the famously busy President of the Football Association managed to find time in his diary to travel to France to watch Wales play rugby against Fiji. 
    As opposed to?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?
    Women’s World Cup Final in Sydney I presume.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?
    It's a lot further. He was damned if he did damned if he didn't
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?
    Not a huge royalist, but I think you are right there. 
  • Options
    Possibly the worst Argentinian performance I've seen.

Looking at today's other games, both Romania and Georgia offered more of a challenge, IMHO.

It's important to get the win, though...
    Thanks for the last line NIA. Very kind. 

Scores would tell another story about Romania and Georgia, but never let that get in the way of a bit of good old-fashioned anti-English sentiment...  :D   

You forgot to mention Namiba are probably better than Argentina too.  
    He didn’t say the other teams were better, only that they offered more of a challenge. Whilst that’s debatable, it’s not anti-English, it’s anti-Argentinian, who were truly shocking. 
    A near eighty point defeat more of a challenge, AA? Really? 

That's just NIA bigging up Ireland...  ;):D
    Personally speaking, I thought that Romania offered a much tougher physical challenge than Ireland was expecting, and it showed in the play.  

Ireland were very lucky not to be playing a stronger side in the first match, and Romania clearly asked some questions of them.

As far as it goes, I'm not expecting Ireland to win the tournament, because they'll be a target for everyone else.

Argentina against England were nowhere near the level that they would normally play at, making error after error (England could only play the team on the pitch, and I notice that when one team is playing poorly that often drags their opponent's performances down).  I cannot ever remember them playing so poorly relative to their ability, they have had worse teams that have played much better.

Both Georgia and Romania, and Chile, considering their ranking positions provided their opponents with more of a challenge.

I'm sorry you consider that I am taking an anti-England position, I'm not, I want all the teams to play as well as possible because I want to be entertained (as an aside, I'm rarely if ever entertained watching Ireland as I have to hide behind the sofa for so much of each game).
  • Options
    Great climax to the game and the fumble at the death stopped Fiji going over for a try and having a conversion for a come back win.
    Wales defended so much better 2nd half but were allowed to transgress a lot with out receiving multi yellow cards.

Good Sunday night entertainment.

I agree, it was "surprising" that Wales were not down to 14 in the Fijian attack before the Welsh countered and the Fijian player was carded.

A lot of off-sides happening and not always being penalised.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?
    Exactly - if he popped over for a weekend to see the final, they're would have been people whinging about the carbon footprint, the cost to the taxpayer of going over etc.

Personally I don't really care who is in a crowd - the US Open has been terrible for showing 'reaction shots' from some model or actor whereas I'd rather see the actual bloody rally.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?
    Exactly - if he popped over for a weekend to see the final, they're would have been people whinging about the carbon footprint, the cost to the taxpayer of going over etc.

Personally I don't really care who is in a crowd - the US Open has been terrible for showing 'reaction shots' from some model or actor whereas I'd rather see the actual bloody rally.
    Absolutely right. Why should the next King of England be expected to spend time with his wife watching England play in the right world cup? If he wants to travel to France and not support England, that's entirely up to him. And why should the President of the FA go to offer support and encouragement to the England football team in the World Cup Final like his grandmother did? 

If he wants to avoid supporting England, why should anyone care?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?

Absolutely right. Why should the next King of England be expected to spend time with his wife watching England play in the right world cup? If he wants to travel to France and not support England, that's entirely up to him. And why should the President of the FA go to offer support and encouragement to the England football team in the World Cup Final like his grandmother did? 

If he wants to avoid supporting England, why should anyone care?
    Are you missing the point, again? 
  • Options
    Just chizz being chizz
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Just chizz being chizz
    Unfortunately! Again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Just chizz being chizz
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?

The number of people complaining about William's carbon footprint would have been tiny in relation to the number of complaints he got for not attending the women's final.

The job of the Royals is "public duty", travelling to meet and greet, especially for the things they're patrons of. Especially as the final was being held in a Commonwealth country.

If the late Queen had been alive, I'm sure she would have told William to go.
  • Options
    I know rugby players need longer intervals between games, but I'm surprised that the WC games couldn't have been spread across the week more. 4 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday feels excessive, when you have no games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?

The number of people complaining about William's carbon footprint would have been tiny in relation to the number of complaints he got for not attending the women's final.

The job of the Royals is "public duty", travelling to meet and greet, especially for the things they're patrons off. Especially as the final was being held in a Commonwealth country.

Sometimes it isn't the number though.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?

The job of the Royals is "public duty", travelling to meet and greet, especially for the things they're patrons of. Especially as the final was being held in a Commonwealth country.

Again, can't agree K&F, all the anti-royalists would have been on his back, as would a large number of the anti-football brigade. It might have been a smaller number, but not "tiny".  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    As opposed to?

Again, can't agree K&F, all the anti-royalists would have been on his back, as would a large number of the anti-football brigade. It might have been a smaller number, but not "tiny".  
    The anti-royalists can be ignored, as they don't want Royals doing anything. 

The anti-football brigade in this case would be tiny, especially as it's women's football, where attacking would be seen as attacking women's sport in general.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I know rugby players need longer intervals between games, but I'm surprised that the WC games couldn't have been spread across the week more. 4 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday feels excessive, when you have no games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Good start but I can’t help thinking that we’ll be heartily bored with it all in a few weeks time, especially as about 90% of the group games will be an utter irrelevance. Will get truly interesting at the semi final stage. 
  • Options
    The heat will also be a factor.
    A huge issue with recovery, especially for us Irish, not in the slightest bit used to that stuff 😜
  • Options
    Still seems an odd schedule, not helped by having 20 teams in 4 groups of 5 teams, meaning teams having a week off as well. Perhaps they were nostalgic for the Five Nations!
  • Options
    Still seems an odd schedule, not helped by having 20 teams in 4 groups of 5 teams, meaning teams having a week off as well. Perhaps they were nostalgic for the Five Nations!
    It isn't the same as football where 2 games in a week is possible, as the game is physically more full on and demanding