Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Still seems an odd schedule, not helped by having 20 teams in 4 groups of 5 teams, meaning teams having a week off as well. Perhaps they were nostalgic for the Five Nations!
    It isn't the same as football where 2 games in a week is possible, as the game is physically more full on and demanding
    I didn't mean that, and perhaps should have said weekend off to make my point clearer! Scotland for example have a 2 week gap between their first 2 group games because of the odd number of teams in their group.

My original point was that the games could have been spread out across the week more, while still giving 6 to 7 days between games. Instead of 4 games last Saturday and 3 on Sunday, why not 3 on each day and one on Monday evening for example? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It was nice to see that the famously busy President of the Football Association managed to find time in his diary to travel to France to watch Wales play rugby against Fiji. 
    A game that has been in the calendar for months and is a 1 and a half hour flight away, as opposed to the womens world cup final that would've involved flying 20+ hours at 3 days notice.

Doesn't really need much explaining does it?
    Are you really being logical and talking sense to Chizz?!!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It was nice to see that the famously busy President of the Football Association managed to find time in his diary to travel to France to watch Wales play rugby against Fiji. 
    A game that has been in the calendar for months and is a 1 and a half hour flight away, as opposed to the womens world cup final that would've involved flying 20+ hours at 3 days notice.

Absolutely! Watching Wales play a group game in the World Cup in France should obviously be the top priority of the future King - for be it for him to have to undertake two sports visits within a few months.  And, I have every sympathy for him.  After all, how could  the President of the FA possibly have known for the last few years when the World Cup Final was, and that England were favourites to be in it?  And what possible benefit would a visit to Australia by the future King of Australia be?  I fully support his impeccable, unimpeachable decision-making. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66785811

Tom Curry suspended for two games. 
    yet worse by the South African wasn't even picked up!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Absolutely! Watching Wales play a group game in the World Cup in France should obviously be the top priority of the future King - for be it for him to have to undertake two sports visits within a few months.  And, I have every sympathy for him.  After all, how could  the President of the FA possibly have known for the last few years when the World Cup Final was, and that England were favourites to be in it?  And what possible benefit would a visit to Australia by the future King of Australia be?  I fully support his impeccable, unimpeachable decision-making. 
    At least you are consistent - and still don't get this, along with pretty much everything else!
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66785811

Tom Curry suspended for two games. 
    WRU: "Is he English?"

WRU: "So we double it, yes?"

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Because he can't visit a country the reigning monarch hasn't yet visited.
    Don't you know nuffink?
  • Options
    A) I wasn't aware of this being an option but 'Some reports claim that a matter of Royal protocol is blocking William from attending. King Charles, who became Australia's head of state after the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth II, has not yet visited the country. That would mean that William cannot constitutionally visit the country before his father.20 Aug 2023'

B) No, he doesn't or chooses..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Because he can't visit a country the reigning monarch hasn't yet visited.
    Don't you know nuffink?
    Yes, that's another reason why it was totally impossible and completely impractical for the President of the FA to be at the World Cup Final, because, of course.  It would have been against the rules (although I am not sure whose rules) for Prince William to add yet another country to the list of countries he's visited that the reigning monarch hasn't; as his father did.  And it would have been beyond the realms of possibility for the King of Australia also to visit at the same time, thus circumventing the invented "protocol".  

Honestly, I don't know why people don't get this.  
  • Options
    If only the whole real world operated like it should in your world.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Not in Chizz's - never!
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    When did King Charles visit France, paving the way for the Prince of Wales, to attend the rugby, by the way? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    MrWalker said:
    When did King Charles visit France, paving the way for the Prince of Wales, to attend the rugby, by the way? 
    Not sure it is relevant as Charles isn't head of state in France - not that I am aware of anyway - maybe a few centuries ago
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I assume you do realise that he is also the Patron of Wales rugby so was always going to be attending their opening game of the World Cup? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I assume you do realise that he is also the Patron of Wales rugby so was always going to be attending their opening game of the World Cup? 
    Absolutely. I don't know why people are suggesting he should also have been at the world cup final when the team he represents as FA President were playing; or why he should have turned up to the England game with his wife. Because, after all, he's there Prince of Wales and has nothing to do with the England team that carries his family's badge. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Absolutely. I don't know why people are suggesting he should also have been at the world cup final when the team he represents as FA President were playing; or why he should have turned up to the England game with his wife. Because, after all, he's there Prince of Wales and has nothing to do with the England team that carries his family's badge. 
    You're still very confused and evidencing it!
  • Options
    Just went to a Danny Cipriani book signing. What a talent he was, too much talent for the stuffy old RFU and it's cronies, rather bin him off than try and help him through his obvious struggles as an extremely young, gifted player from a difficult background. Was a lovely man had a good chat and got a book signed for my son who just started on a college rugby scholarship in the US. He'll be delighted as he's his favourite player. 
  • Options
    Great performance so far by Uruguay all be it against a second string French team but they have such depth it is still very impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nug said:
    Just went to a Danny Cipriani book signing. What a talent he was, too much talent for the stuffy old RFU and it's cronies, rather bin him off than try and help him through his obvious struggles as an extremely young, gifted player from a difficult background. Was a lovely man had a good chat and got a book signed for my son who just started on a college rugby scholarship in the US. He'll be delighted as he's his favourite player. 
    I don't think he was the master of his own downfall, not anyone at the RFU, however much the RFU could be improved. I think his book demonstrate that; many of the revelations are not necessary and betray other's privacy -Just another inconsequential, self-serving character who is prepared to sacrifice the privacy of others in order to feed his addiction to fame. And make money 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I don't think he was the master of his own downfall, not anyone at the RFU, however much the RFU could be improved. I think his book demonstrate that; many of the revelations are not necessary and betray other's privacy -Just another inconsequential, self-serving character who is prepared to sacrifice the privacy of others in order to feed his addiction to fame. And make money 
    I think that’s harsh and just what the rugby establishment want you to believe. I’ve listened to him on a few podcasts recently and I’m not sure he blames anyone else and takes full responsibility for his many failings. He was fed to the tabloid wolves at a very young age with zero parental help. His club and RFU let him down badly it was obvious he was struggling. However I haven’t fully read the book yet regarding others privacy but he has said that a lot of snippets are being used to sensationalise it and need to be judged in full.

Regarding English rugby I have seen first hand the elitism in it and how it is heavily skewed to private and grammar schoolboys. I knew of a full time community RFU coach, whose remit was to teach rugby in schools. Where did he go, Eltham college and Chis and Sid. It needs more than improving it is rotten and failing the sport.

Rugby will become a niche sport in England unless they spread the game into state schools. I recently saw the team sheet for Harlequins U18s and it had their school next to their name. All but 2 boys were at a private school and those 2 were at a Grammar.

You only have to look at the number of clubs going bust and struggling to see what a state the sport is in. Rugby needs new thinking and guys like Bill Beaumont haven’t a clue how to modernise it. The French seem to have it cracked, successful league with big atmospheric crowds, a great national team playing exciting rugby. What do we have, middle aged, Land Rover driving blokes more interested in drinking pints at the game than watching it. Have you been to Twickenham? You can barely watch the game for the amount of people constantly getting up to get another pint. Rant over. 😂
  • Options
    Was it the amount of blood that was spilled in the Tom Curry incident that has made him get a two match ban on top of his early red card where others have either just had a sin bin or in the incident which was the most similar to Tom's no action taken ?
    Jesse Kriel the South African centre made a head on head tackle and no review and not even a yellow card !
  • Options
    Was it the amount of blood that was spilled in the Tom Curry incident that has made him get a two match ban on top of his early red card where others have either just had a sin bin or in the incident which was the most similar to Tom's no action taken ?
    Jesse Kriel the South African centre made a head on head tackle and no review and not even a yellow card !
    The Kriel incident was dealt with badly.  But that doesn't mean the Curry incident was too.  
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Nug said:
    I think that’s harsh and just what the rugby establishment want you to believe. I’ve listened to him on a few podcasts recently and I’m not sure he blames anyone else and takes full responsibility for his many failings. He was fed to the tabloid wolves at a very young age with zero parental help. His club and RFU let him down badly it was obvious he was struggling. However I haven’t fully read the book yet regarding others privacy but he has said that a lot of snippets are being used to sensationalise it and need to be judged in full.

Regarding English rugby I have seen first hand the elitism in it and how it is heavily skewed to private and grammar schoolboys. I knew of a full time community RFU coach, whose remit was to teach rugby in schools. Where did he go, Eltham college and Chis and Sid. It needs more than improving it is rotten and failing the sport.

Rugby will become a niche sport in England unless they spread the game into state schools. I recently saw the team sheet for Harlequins U18s and it had their school next to their name. All but 2 boys were at a private school and those 2 were at a Grammar.

You only have to look at the number of clubs going bust and struggling to see what a state the sport is in. Rugby needs new thinking and guys like Bill Beaumont haven’t a clue how to modernise it. The French seem to have it cracked, successful league with big atmospheric crowds, a great national team playing exciting rugby. What do we have, middle aged, Land Rover driving blokes more interested in drinking pints at the game than watching it. Have you been to Twickenham? You can barely watch the game for the amount of people constantly getting up to get another pint. Rant over. 😂
    Hasn't Rugby (Union) always been a bit of a niche sport in England? Certainly club rugby, which hasn't been professional for 30 years yet.

There's always been massive interest in internationals, and there's always been a "great day out" aspect to them, which is probably why the atmosphere is so different to football.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Nug said:

Hasn't Rugby (Union) always been a bit of a niche sport in England? Certainly club rugby, which hasn't been professional for 30 years yet.

There's always been massive interest in internationals, and there's always been a "great day out" aspect to them, which is probably why the atmosphere is so different to football.
    There's some interesting statistics in here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1088542/educational-backgrounds-of-british-professional-athletes-by-sport-and-gender/ 

Some stats in particular are worth calling out: 
    • More male rugby players are from state comprehensives than from private schools 
    • As many cricketers went to a state comprehensive as a private school 
    • 89% of male footballers and 94% of female footballers went to state comprehensives 
    I think the development of club sport is more important than trying to retro-fit elite sport into state comprehensives.  The stats don't show up on these charts, but I would imagine close to 100% of elite sports people had skills and attitudes honed at clubs before they ever competed professionally. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Nug said:
    Nug said:

There's some interesting statistics in here: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1088542/educational-backgrounds-of-british-professional-athletes-by-sport-and-gender/ 

Some stats in particular are worth calling out: 
    • More male rugby players are from state comprehensives than from private schools 
    • As many cricketers went to a state comprehensive as a private school 
    • 89% of male footballers and 94% of female footballers went to state comprehensives 
    I think the development of club sport is more important than trying to retro-fit elite sport into state comprehensives.  The stats don't show up on these charts, but I would imagine close to 100% of elite sports people had skills and attitudes honed at clubs before they ever competed professionally. 
    That’s interesting, however having been around this for the last 12 years, there are state schools and there are “state” schools that play rugby. It’s correct that Farrell, Ford and Itoje went to state schools but they were still elite rugby schools.The John Roan or Thomas Tallis do not play rugby. One school I can think of is Hayes in Bromley. They go around and pick up the best rugby kids for  sixth form from far and wide who either can’t afford private schools or aren’t academic enough for grammar. They are few and far between though and it doesn’t spread the game, these kids are already in the system. Anyway doubt I’ll convince anyone just my experience of it. 
  • Options
    Tonga are playing really well tonight, Ireland have been caught out a few times, giving away penalties, more of that and there'll be more yellow cards, and big nerves.

Whatever the final result, there's going to be plenty of players hurting over the next few days.

Shout out to both Chile and Portugal today, really gave it a go.

Ideally (for World rugby) a Tier 2 team will make it out of the group stage.

They're certainly making a decent case for more tests against Tier 1 teams (for me, also, the opportunity to get promoted to/for expanded (currently) Tier 1  competitions).
  • Options
    They are giving it a go. I hate all the tier 1, tier 2 nonsense I think it is really holding rugby back. You don’t see it in football, look at the likes of Iceland who used to get spanked by everyone and now put out decent competitive teams. Give them a chance and they will get better.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    They are giving it a go. I hate all the tier 1, tier 2 nonsense I think it is really holding rugby back. You don’t see it in football, look at the likes of Iceland who used to get spanked by everyone and now put out decent competitive teams. Give them a chance and they will get better.
    Could not agree more.

In Europe the 6 Nations should create a lower division or two with relegation and promotion.

As well as that, get effectively Tier 2 national sides into European club rugby competitions.