Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zach Mitchell joins Colchester on season loan

Comments

• Options
    Zach's getting plenty of minutes at Colchester and has been ever present since he joined, but it's certainly a big learning curve playing for a struggling club under a different manager to the one who signed him. An own goal yesterday too.
    The opposite for Aaron Henry at Crawley.
  • Options
    Zach's getting plenty of minutes at Colchester and has been ever present since he joined, but it's certainly a big learning curve playing for a struggling club under a different manager to the one who signed him. An own goal yesterday too.
    Yeah, I was laughing until I realised it was Zach, then felt guilty. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure that Zach being part of a team that is sitting third bottom and that has lost five on the bounce and 18 in total this season is the sort of experience he should be looking for at the age of 18. Even more so when I see that their keeper is 20, their right back is 21 and Egbo is one of the other two in their back five. In fact, their whole side is ridiculously inexperienced with six of the players 22 or younger and an average of the side of just 23. Yesterday Wrexham went down to 10 men half way through the first half but, with the likes of Tozer, O'Connell, McLean, Lee and Mullin in their team, it isn't a surprise that they still came out on top.  
  • Options
    Not the best of play for the OG v Wrexham but as long as he learns from it. Body position needed to be much tighter towards direction of ball.
  • Options
    Zach is a rolls royce footballer, but has lots to learn on the defensive side, so you do wonder if we would be better off in a more experienced team, playing alongside an old pro who can guide him on the pitch. 

Similarly, I don't know if it was Garner's decision to have such a young side, or whether it's Colchester strategy, but it hasn't worked. Garner has gone, and Colchester are still just as bad under Etherington. I wonder if it might be better for both parties if we recall Zach, and assuming we bring in another CB, loan them either Elerewe or Ness for the second half of the season, as both are a bit more experienced than Zach, and more defensive minded.
  • Options
    Another Colchester manager sacked. This time Matt Etherington.

At least Zach will be well prepared for this aspect of the game when he returns to Charlton.
    And I wonder if we haven't just found our number one choice to replace Mickey Apples too....  ;)
  • Options
    I'd have Zach back and play him id midfield.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I'd have Zach back and play him id midfield.
    Unless he’s improved he may not be ready. Looked ok, but we need experienced pros now, not young players learning the game imho. Would be great if he’s improved while on loan of course. 
  • Options
    Defensively he's not ready to play at CB, but can't be any worse in midfield than many of our other current options...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 5
    I'm sorry if I've missed this being mentioned elsewhere but what is the point of Zach being at Colchester if he's not being used - he's not been in Colchester's squad since 13th January and missed the last six games because they have too many on loan - he might just as well come back and play for our U23s and train under Jones' guidance given that he might well be needed for us next season. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry if I've missed this being mentioned elsewhere but what is the point of Zach being at Colchester if he's not being used - he's not been in Colchester's squad since 13th January and missed the last six games because they have too many on loan - he might just as well come back and play for our U23s and train under Jones' guidance given that he might well be needed for us next season. 
    We cant recall him though can we... Could only do that in January

Depends even if we even had the option to recall him in the loan agreement.
  • Options

That might well be the case - if Cowley has no intention of playing him, though, I'm not sure whether he couldn't still play for our U23s and/or train with us. We have seen that happen with players sent to Non League clubs but that might be the difference. Whatever the situation, I think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching. 

• Options
    I believe he can only play for the club he is on loan at as he's in the FL. 
  • Options
    It's a real shame but the same situation has occurred here many times.

23 starts not too shabby for a 19 year old.
  • Options
    It's also a good chance for him to fight to earn a place in the team. Even if he isn't successful it's good experience as he won't come back here and start immediately. 
  • Options
    edited March 5

That might well be the case - if Cowley has no intention of playing him, though, I'm not sure whether he couldn't still play for our U23s and/or train with us. We have seen that happen with players sent to Non League clubs but that might be the difference. Whatever the situation, I think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching. 

I guess it works both ways, think Louie Watson.
    Indeed. And I wouldn't hold it against Luton or any other club that we do that to not to send another player to us. No one should be guaranteed a place in the starting XI or matchday squad but not being part of things for six weeks (and it could quite possibly be longer) isn't fair on the player or the club sending the player out on loan. Colchester have, I believe, six on loan and can only have four in their squad? 
  • Options

I guess it works both ways, think Louie Watson.
    Indeed. And I wouldn't hold it against Luton or any other club that we do that to not to send another player to us. No one should be guaranteed a place in the starting XI or matchday squad but not being part of things for six weeks (and it could quite possibly be longer) isn't fair on the player or the club sending the player out on loan. Colchester have, I believe, six on loan and can only have four in their squad? 
    They can have five, so he’s only an injury or suspension away for one of them to potentially get back in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    It's also a good chance for him to fight to earn a place in the team. Even if he isn't successful it's good experience as he won't come back here and start immediately. 
    I'm not sure how he does that - they've even been playing under Cowley with three CBs and have Egbo on the bench too. That makes him fifth choice CB. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    I'm not sure how he does that - they've even been playing under Cowley with three CBs and have Egbo on the bench too. That makes him fifth choice CB. 
    I don't watch Colchester so have no idea how they play but Egbo isn't a CB so if they're playing him there then they are in trouble! Mitchell has to do what all players have to do, train harder and improve himself. I'm sure he's doing that already but he needs to be ready. I'm sure their CB's will get suspensions and injuries and he needs to take his chance like Gillesphey has done for us. That's football and great experience to gain so young.
  • Options
    edited March 5
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    I don't watch Colchester so have no idea how they play but Egbo isn't a CB so if they're playing him there then they are in trouble! Mitchell has to do what all players have to do, train harder and improve himself. I'm sure he's doing that already but he needs to be ready. I'm sure their CB's will get suspensions and injuries and he needs to take his chance like Gillesphey has done for us. That's football and great experience to gain so young.
    Colchester haven't won any of their last five games albeit that they have drawn four of them. Their bench for their last game against Salford last Tuesday (Saturday's game against was postponed) in addition to Egbo was:

Hornby (keeper) 
    Jay (attacking midfielder)
    Read (midfielder) 
    Mingi (midfielder)
    Marshall (midfielder)
    Ihionvien (forward) 

So they didn't have an alternative to Egbo or an alternative in defence on the bench but Zach couldn't be on it anyway because of the number of loanees they are playing. Effectively, at least one, if not two, of those other five on loan have to get injured or be left out for Zach to get a place even on the bench. 

As I say, it's totally within Colchester's rights to do this. But, equally, it's within our rights not to send another player to them. As it is Luton's too. It could be a waste of half a season for Zach. Ironically, Colchester have sent another CB and a former player of ours, Harry Beadle, on loan so he gets game time. And he's playing every game. 

• Options
    edited March 5
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Colchester haven't won any of their last five games albeit that they have drawn four of them. Their bench for their last game against Salford last Tuesday (Saturday's game against was postponed) in addition to Egbo was:

Hornby (keeper) 
    Read (midfielder) 
    Mingi (midfielder)
    Marshall (midfielder)
    Ihionvien (forward) 

So they didn't have an alternative to Egbo or an alternative in defence on the bench but Zach couldn't be on it anyway because of the number of loanees they are playing. Effectively, at least one, if not two, of those other five on loan have to get injured or be left out for Zach to get a place even on the bench. 

As I say, it's totally within Colchester's rights to do this. But, equally, it's within our rights not to send another player to them. As it is Luton's too. It could be a waste of half a season for Zach. Ironically, Colchester have sent another CB and a former player of ours, Harry Beadle, on loan so he gets game time. And he's playing every game.  

Where are you seeing that Beadle plays every game? Only made one cup sub appearance according to Soccerbase.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=612&teamTabs=stats

Edit: misread, every game on loan at Bishop’s Stortford. Thought it was strange he’s doing well in L2!
  • Options

"think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching."

This seems to be exactly what a vengeful Man Citeh have done - sent us Fiorini to punish us for not playing Tedic, and ultimately Charltonising him so much they almost immediately sent him back to his first club on a free...
  • Options
    995632 said:

"think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching."

This seems to be exactly what a vengeful Man Citeh have done - sent us Fiorini to punish us for not playing Tedic, and ultimately Charltonising him so much they almost immediately sent him back to his first club on a free...
    There is a difference between the likes of Fiorini and Castillo (where it seems, basically, we are agreeing to pay part of a player's wages prior to them being released as part of an agreement between us and the club loaning the player) and sending someone out on loan with a view to that player getting game time and improving his game. If Zach gets another run in the team then things do change but I'm not sure that this is how it will play out. Remember it's not his form or injury that is preventing him from playing - it's the fact that Colchester have taken too many on loan.   
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Hornby (keeper) 
    Read (midfielder) 
    Mingi (midfielder)
    Marshall (midfielder)
    Ihionvien (forward) 

Where are you seeing that Beadle plays every game? Only made one cup sub appearance according to Soccerbase.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=612&teamTabs=stats

Edit: misread, every game on loan at Bishop’s Stortford. Thought it was strange he’s doing well in L2!
    But Beadle might come back good enough to play in League 2 next season because he is playing every game.
  • Options
    Colchester have gone through several managers since Zach went there. Perhaps he is seen as a bit inexperienced for a relegation battle. The loan seems to have been OK so far.
  • Options
    995632 said:

On Mitchell, surely it should be about how much he has learnt and developed over the season rather than just the last few months.

Steve Avory is aware and said that Zak had rung him when he was first dropped to discuss the situation as he'd never been dropped before and wanted to know how to deal with it.

It's not ideal but we've not played loan players plenty of times and still are.

On Fiorini, it seems to have become accepted fact that Man City forced us to take a dud as some sort of punishment/revenge for sending back Tedic but isn't it as likely that Appleton and/or Scott wanted Fiorini, maybe as a replacement for Tedic or maybe just because they rated him, as he'd been as success under MA previously.  MA certainly talked him up as a great signing at the time.

Turns out he is actually a worse signing that Tedic but our use of the loan market has been pretty poor under Scott regardless.
  • Options
    995632 said:

On Mitchell, surely it should be about how much he has learnt and developed over the season rather than just the last few months.

Steve Avory is aware and said that Zak had rung him when he was first dropped to discuss the situation as he'd never been dropped before and wanted to know how to deal with it.

It's not ideal but we've not played loan players plenty of times and still are.

On Fiorini, it seems to have become accepted fact that Man City forced us to take a dud as some sort of punishment/revenge for sending back Tedic but isn't it as likely that Appleton and/or Scott wanted Fiorini, maybe as a replacement for Tedic or maybe just because they rated him, as he'd been as success under MA previously.  MA certainly talked him up as a great signing at the time.

Turns out he is actually a worse signing that Tedic but our use of the loan market has been pretty poor under Scott regardless.
    Subjective comment as I have not looked back, but it feels like our use of the loan market since the golden season of 2018/19 has been pretty poor. Gallagher in 2020 was obviously a star but otherwise more duds than successes!!