Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zach Mitchell joins Colchester on season loan

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:
    I'm sorry if I've missed this being mentioned elsewhere but what is the point of Zach being at Colchester if he's not being used - he's not been in Colchester's squad since 13th January and missed the last six games because they have too many on loan - he might just as well come back and play for our U23s and train under Jones' guidance given that he might well be needed for us next season. 
    We cant recall him though can we... Could only do that in January

Depends even if we even had the option to recall him in the loan agreement.
    That might well be the case - if Cowley has no intention of playing him, though, I'm not sure whether he couldn't still play for our U23s and/or train with us. We have seen that happen with players sent to Non League clubs but that might be the difference. Whatever the situation, I think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching. 

"think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching."

This seems to be exactly what a vengeful Man Citeh have done - sent us Fiorini to punish us for not playing Tedic, and ultimately Charltonising him so much they almost immediately sent him back to his first club on a free...
    On Mitchell, surely it should be about how much he has learnt and developed over the season rather than just the last few months.

Steve Avory is aware and said that Zak had rung him when he was first dropped to discuss the situation as he'd never been dropped before and wanted to know how to deal with it.

It's not ideal but we've not played loan players plenty of times and still are.

On Fiorini, it seems to have become accepted fact that Man City forced us to take a dud as some sort of punishment/revenge for sending back Tedic but isn't it as likely that Appleton and/or Scott wanted Fiorini, maybe as a replacement for Tedic or maybe just because they rated him, as he'd been as success under MA previously.  MA certainly talked him up as a great signing at the time.

Turns out he is actually a worse signing that Tedic but our use of the loan market has been pretty poor under Scott regardless.
    Subjective comment as I have not looked back, but it feels like our use of the loan market since the golden season of 2018/19 has been pretty poor. Gallagher in 2020 was obviously a star but otherwise more duds than successes!!
    Rak Sakyi did "ok" too ;-) But yeah, in general our use of the loan market has been poor for some time.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:
    I'm sorry if I've missed this being mentioned elsewhere but what is the point of Zach being at Colchester if he's not being used - he's not been in Colchester's squad since 13th January and missed the last six games because they have too many on loan - he might just as well come back and play for our U23s and train under Jones' guidance given that he might well be needed for us next season. 

That might well be the case - if Cowley has no intention of playing him, though, I'm not sure whether he couldn't still play for our U23s and/or train with us. We have seen that happen with players sent to Non League clubs but that might be the difference. Whatever the situation, I think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching. 

"think that we should think carefully before sending another player to Colchester and/or a team under Cowley's management. The kid has been sent to learn by playing games not to sit in the stand watching."

This seems to be exactly what a vengeful Man Citeh have done - sent us Fiorini to punish us for not playing Tedic, and ultimately Charltonising him so much they almost immediately sent him back to his first club on a free...
    On Mitchell, surely it should be about how much he has learnt and developed over the season rather than just the last few months.

Steve Avory is aware and said that Zak had rung him when he was first dropped to discuss the situation as he'd never been dropped before and wanted to know how to deal with it.

On Fiorini, it seems to have become accepted fact that Man City forced us to take a dud as some sort of punishment/revenge for sending back Tedic but isn't it as likely that Appleton and/or Scott wanted Fiorini, maybe as a replacement for Tedic or maybe just because they rated him, as he'd been as success under MA previously.  MA certainly talked him up as a great signing at the time.

Turns out he is actually a worse signing that Tedic but our use of the loan market has been pretty poor under Scott regardless.
    Subjective comment as I have not looked back, but it feels like our use of the loan market since the golden season of 2018/19 has been pretty poor. Gallagher in 2020 was obviously a star but otherwise more duds than successes!!
    Most have, indeed, been a massive let down and the ones I believe ae currently playing at a higher level include Inniss, Rak-Sakyi, Millar, Smyth and Field. Of those, JRS is injured but, sadly given the club he is at, will I suspect be a good PL player.  
  • Options
    Are the two teams allowed to mutually agree to terminate a loan?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Are the two teams allowed to mutually agree to terminate a loan?
    Not outside of a transfer window
  • Options
    However the player can be sent back to train with their own team. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Rak-Sakyi?  But yes, pretty much unanimously rubbish other than those two, and we have consistently taken our full compliment of 5. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    But then he's guaranteed 0 game time. At least if he trains at Colchester he might get a game due to an injury crisis
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    But then he's guaranteed 0 game time. At least if he trains at Colchester he might get a game due to an injury crisis
    Well that's obvious. I wasn't saying we should do it, but training under Jones with the first team might be better than training with Col reserves. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Most have, indeed, been a massive let down and the ones I believe ae currently playing at a higher level include Inniss, Rak-Sakyi, Millar, Smyth and Field. Of those, JRS is injured but, sadly given the club he is at, will I suspect be a good PL player.  
    Inniss? 
  • Options
    Without being presumptuous our loan signings next year could be a bit better as Jones has the ability to improve them. Let's face it the last 3 managers wouldn't have had any pulling power. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Inniss? 
    Wasn't on loan. I would say Famewo's first spell was reasonably successful though, as was Maatsen. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Inniss? 

/Yes, my apologies, I did mean Famewo now at Sheffield Wednesday
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Inniss? 
    Wasn't on loan. I would say Famewo's first spell was reasonably successful though, as was Maatsen. 
    Famewo (first time round) is a good shout
  • Options
    The loan system is flawed. If a young player is loaned to gain experience but isn't involved, he should be allowed to return to the parent club to train and play academy football.

the loan club rightfully should retain the players services and can call him back on loan if the need exists.

Mitchell is at the front of the rank in terms of next youngster to get first team games and I'm sure jones would rather he be in the building where he can watch him train.
  • Options
    I think we have to stop allowing "loans of convenience" - on the one hand they notionally permit clubs to have more than they can actually play and on the other those loans can be, as with Fiorini, Castillo and John, ones where there are reasons beyond them actually contributing on the pitch. Make it a maximum of four inward loans at any one time but all four can play. Equally, don't allow PL clubs to send out on loan any more than say eight players at any one time - the two initiatives might prevent so many youngsters being "stock piled" and force PL clubs not to purchase players, from further down the food chain, until they have, actually, had a few years at the club where they came through the academy at. Not that PL clubs would ever agree to that - the likes of Chelsea and City probably have up to 20 out on loan at times!
  • Options
    The loan system is flawed. If a young player is loaned to gain experience but isn't involved, he should be allowed to return to the parent club to train and play academy football.

the loan club rightfully should retain the players services and can call him back on loan if the need exists.

Mitchell is at the front of the rank in terms of next youngster to get first team games and I'm sure jones would rather he be in the building where he can watch him train.
    I get the sentiment but I’m not sure it’s that simple, what happens if he gets injured whilst back with his parent club - or if his loan team want him back in the match day squad but he just played an academy football game a couple of days before etc.. 
  • Options

I get the sentiment but I’m not sure it’s that simple, what happens if he gets injured whilst back with his parent club - or if his loan team want him back in the match day squad but he just played an academy football game a couple of days before etc.. 
    do we still have a loan manager? Loan managers talk to the loan club

im guessing it's no different to a loan player playing for the loan clubs u-21's then playing for the first team 
  • Options

do we still have a loan manager? Loan managers talk to the loan club
    Do QPR still have a Loan Ranger?

• Options
    I find this issue with Zach extremely concerning. 

I've been one of the ZM "watchers" and main supporters for many months. Initially via the U21s where he was a stand out young player and not yet 18.

He then was in the first team matchday squad for games in the 2022-23 season and made 6 appearances, never letting his team mates down, stepping up to the plate. 

As others have posted, he was ever present at the start of his loan at Colchester, which says it all as an 18 year old who wasn't 19 until January this year. Everything was going to plan, seemingly....

But when the Cowleys arrived, things changed & last year's EFL League 1 Apprentice of the Year has seemingly been the victim of overloading the squad with loanees. 

What this is doing for the young man's mental health & confidence should not be underestimated. We have a 19 year old grandson so are able to have some insight into the ups & downs of this age group. And I'd wager Zach continues to train 100% whatever the issues - a model pro. 

I find it unbelievable in these times that the budding career of an exceptional young footballer can be mismanaged so badly. Surely there has to be a loophole ripe for exploitation or some kind of solution out there if "someone" looks hard enough ? 

According to the OS, our U21s are at home to Colchester on 22nd March. Sadly we'll be on our way home from Tenerife, otherwise we'd warch this. It will be interesting to see whether Zach is in the team against his old "pals"....

Are we so overstocked with defenders at present that we could afford to let one of our own seek to ply his trade esewhere ? 

Worried of Wadhurst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally understand your frustration @Fanny Fanackapan but not sure how Charlton have fumbled this. As you said yourself, the first half of the loan went well. I guess we could have recalled him towards the end of the January window but he wouldn't have played here so he either goes out on another loan and have his season disrupted or trains with our first team and doesn't get game time. If we had appointed Jones earlier I would have seen merit in it but not when we didn't have a manager
  • Options
    Good to hear other Lifers' views on Zach.

Would love to know if he's aware of the interest in his situation from those we are interested in his career.  
  • Options
    If Cochester think he improves them he plays for them, whether they are right or wrong his job is to show that he does and this sort of challenge is surely good for him rather than being guaranteed a place. From the little I have seen of him, I have been very impressed and I'm sure he can come through this test without us being precious about it and demand Colchester play him or indeed recall him.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    In the future I believe Charlton should be involved in the positive kind of loans. Scott Fraser, Jack Payne, Tedic and Fiorini are examples of what I call convenience loans, where players with little prospect of playing for their parent club are cluttering up training grounds.
    Then there are purposeful loans such as possibly Luke Watson, but Zach Mitchell and Aaron Henry and others where the loan is supposed to benefit both clubs and the player.
    We have had too many poor quality loans in simply to pacify fans and make up numbers. 
  • Options
    He's made 23 starts and 3 substitution appearances this season.

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Definitely more misses than hits, but I think that is partly the nature of loans - low risk as you are not buying the player, and some are in as cover rather than for the First XI.

20-21 Millar, Maatsen and Shinnie were all decent
    21-22 Famewo and Lee were pretty good (certainly initially dropped off towards the end)
    22-23 Rak-Sakyi was one of the best we've had in recent times and Sessegnon was competitive

This year there haven't really been any stand outs.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Kap10 said:
    995632 said:

Definitely more misses than hits, but I think that is partly the nature of loans - low risk as you are not buying the player, and some are in as cover rather than for the First XI.

20-21 Millar, Maatsen and Shinnie were all decent
    21-22 Famewo and Lee were pretty good (certainly initially dropped off towards the end)
    22-23 Rak-Sakyi was one of the best we've had in recent times and Sessegnon was competitive

This year there haven't really been any stand outs.
    Doesnt overly bother me to be honest... I prefer it that the likes of Bakinson | Watson | Ladapo are around IF we need them, rather than relying on them.

Nothing more irritating than trying to plan for the next season, knowing there is a strong chance we'll be without our best player(s) before the previous season has even ended.