Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Abankwah signs on season long loan from Udinese - gone back (p7)

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the fans who are on his back tbh
    Agree

Hardly played and then out of position.

So is he injured or just dropped?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I don't get the fans who are on his back tbh
    Agree

Hardly played and then out of position.

So is he injured or just dropped?
    dropped atm, haven't heard of any injury
  • Options
    Clearly signed to play in a back 3, which is unfortunate as we then hired a manager who plays a back 4.

Not good enough going forward at right back, and physically not good enough to play as a CB in a back 4. Will be 3rd choice RB and 4th/5th choice CB until January where I’m pretty confident already the loan will end. Only chance he has is if Appleton decides to swap to a back 3 
  • Options
    The Wycombe performance was a bit of a red flag, not least his body language. He looked a bit disinterested to me and my mate. I didn't see the Stevenage match but I understand he struggled there too.

So no surprise to see him dropped but I did wonder if, with his suggested versatility, he should have been on the bench for the past two games so that we could squeeze in another attacking option on the bench. But then that would mean no place for one of our own youngsters, i.e. Asiimwe or Ness. 

I'm sure he'll get another opportunity to shine, hopefully in his most natural position so that we can judge him fairly, but for now it seems the right call to leave him out.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Interview with him in Irish Sport section of The Times at the weekend. He is very young and raw. Hope he gets a chance in his proper position at some point.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/673a0fdc-5fc8-11ee-8ddd-38aca63976af?shareToken=2a3f6087187b1874da3a21537f49746d

Link allows me to read it for free but shout if an issue. 
  • Options
    Hope he gets a game at CB in the EFL Trophy. It’s only Villa U21s but worth seeing how he does there. There’s potential there, he shouldn’t be written off yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Hope he gets a game at CB in the EFL Trophy. It’s only Villa U21s but worth seeing how he does there. There’s potential there, he shouldn’t be written off yet.
    Won't he be away on international duty?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Clearly signed to play in a back 3, which is unfortunate as we then hired a manager who plays a back 4.

Not good enough going forward at right back, and physically not good enough to play as a CB in a back 4. Will be 3rd choice RB and 4th/5th choice CB until January where I’m pretty confident already the loan will end. Only chance he has is if Appleton decides to swap to a back 3 
    Seems ironic to be reading a post making haste to write off a player after a less than impressive start given who's posted it
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Not sure this is a fair judgment given we've not actually seen him play CB yet. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

We’ve not, but he really struggled Physically at Stevenage and I just can’t see him being able to play there in a back 4. The fact he’s not making the bench would suggest he’s 4th choice at best which I doubt he or Udinese will be happy about. I’m pretty sure he’ll be heading back in January as Appleton will want a loan slot to bring in players he wants 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Won't he be away on international duty?
    Good point.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

We’ve not, but he really struggled Physically at Stevenage and I just can’t see him being able to play there in a back 4. The fact he’s not making the bench would suggest he’s 4th choice at best which I doubt he or Udinese will be happy about. I’m pretty sure he’ll be heading back in January as Appleton will want a loan slot to bring in players he wants 
    Not many players would hold their own in terms of physicality against that bunch of thugs! 
  • Options
    I can see him as potentially Dobson's understudy while Taylor is injured
  • Options
    Interview with him in Irish Sport section of The Times at the weekend. He is very young and raw. Hope he gets a chance in his proper position at some point.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/673a0fdc-5fc8-11ee-8ddd-38aca63976af?shareToken=2a3f6087187b1874da3a21537f49746d

Link allows me to read it for free but shout if an issue. 
    Good interview until he says he hopes Greenwood can recover his career??? Wtf James??? 
  • Options
    What is the point of this debate?

The lad came into the side to do a job when other alternatives were not available. The team secured 4 points out of 6 against 2 teams on unbeaten runs. He did a job.

When the other more experienced and more familiar alternatives became available they were selected. It is not rocket science. It is the sort of decision made a thousand times every season with inexperienced players.

On a personal level he is living in his 3rd country in 4 years, one he had barely been, let alone the building, 3 weeks before his debut.

He was last season part of the Udinese Série A senior match squad on over 30 occasions. He captained the ROI Under 19 squad. He cost the record League of Ireland transfer fee.

Though on the bench for Udinese in Série A for 3 games this year his appearances for us, beyond the League of Ireland (where he did on occasion play RB) were the 3rd and 4th of his senior career.

Do you have any idea of the different football cultures between Série A and League One. Seasoned Pros can take 6 months to adjust. Some never do.  I doubt with Stevenage and Wycombe you could find two more professional proponents of agricultural League 1 football.

As an aside Zemura, formerly of this Parish, before becoming an emerging Premier League talent at Bournemouth was sitting on the same bench at Udinese.

I have no idea whether he will make the grade but the comparisons and projections to this point are laughable.

To develop he needs first team football. He has a job to earn that right before January. It is a job he accepted rather than sitting on the bench in Série A, an eminently more attractive option in terms of stadia, crowds, football culture and weather than trudging through the arse end of League 1 in the UK.

I don’t disagree any stay beyond January may well depend on how he trains, how he adapts and how many appearances he gets to make. If he is merely going to sit on the bench in SE7 he will undoubtedly have other channels to pursue. His Udinese contract expires in 2026.

I wish the lad well.

George Weah? Yea right…….
     My point was that we need serious competition for the two centre back positions.
    I have made no assumptions on how good this lad might be. 
    We seem to have managed it for the centre mid and centre forward positions. I just think we've possibly fallen short at centre back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is the point of this debate?

The lad came into the side to do a job when other alternatives were not available. The team secured 4 points out of 6 against 2 teams on unbeaten runs. He did a job.

When the other more experienced and more familiar alternatives became available they were selected. It is not rocket science. It is the sort of decision made a thousand times every season with inexperienced players.

On a personal level he is living in his 3rd country in 4 years, one he had barely been, let alone the building, 3 weeks before his debut.

He was last season part of the Udinese Série A senior match squad on over 30 occasions. He captained the ROI Under 19 squad. He cost the record League of Ireland transfer fee.

Though on the bench for Udinese in Série A for 3 games this year his appearances for us, beyond the League of Ireland (where he did on occasion play RB) were the 3rd and 4th of his senior career.

Do you have any idea of the different football cultures between Série A and League One. Seasoned Pros can take 6 months to adjust. Some never do.  I doubt with Stevenage and Wycombe you could find two more professional proponents of agricultural League 1 football.

As an aside Zemura, formerly of this Parish, before becoming an emerging Premier League talent at Bournemouth was sitting on the same bench at Udinese.

I have no idea whether he will make the grade but the comparisons and projections to this point are laughable.

To develop he needs first team football. He has a job to earn that right before January. It is a job he accepted rather than sitting on the bench in Série A, an eminently more attractive option in terms of stadia, crowds, football culture and weather than trudging through the arse end of League 1 in the UK.

I don’t disagree any stay beyond January may well depend on how he trains, how he adapts and how many appearances he gets to make. If he is merely going to sit on the bench in SE7 he will undoubtedly have other channels to pursue. His Udinese contract expires in 2026.

I wish the lad well.

George Weah? Yea right…….
     My point was that we need serious competition for the two centre back positions.
    I have made no assumptions on how good this lad might be. 
    We seem to have managed it for the centre mid and centre forward positions. I just think we've possibly fallen short at centre back.
    Unfortunately at this level and with squad caps and other financial considerations it would take an absolute miracle to end up with a squad that is perfectly balanced in every department.

We finally have depth in quality up front and in midfield which is good. Sadly this is at the expense of CB (where we do still have quantity, but maybe not quality) and arguably FB and GK too.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    We needed a centre half that wouldn't add to our FFP wage bill as we were over budget. 
    Enter Abankwah. 
  • Options
    I'm sure James Abankwah will go on to be a very good footballer.

But CB is the position where it takes longest for youngsters to break through, and where experience can be so beneficial. That 19 year old unpredictable winger or striker can be a massive asset, and even at full back, you can build a team around attacking full backs, with other players covering for them. Whereas at centre back, strength and knowhow are as important as raw "baller" talent, as in defence you need organisation and structure. 33 year old Craig Dawson for example marked Haaland out of the game last Saturday, and that's someone who's never played for England, but used all his nous.
  • Options
    If you’re saying he’s a good player I fully respect and have time for your opinion , if you’re unsure and think he’s pony I’m afraid I have no time for what you’re saying .

• Options
    Any reason he isn't even getting the odd game in the U23? Usually if players can't make the matchday squad they need to keep match fit to some degree.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Any reason he isn't even getting the odd game in the U23? Usually if players can't make the matchday squad they need to keep match fit to some degree.
    I would have thought that he would be given minutes in the cup at centre half ahead of ness. 
  • Options
    Would be very surprised if he doesn't feature tonight. Feels like the ideal game to play him in, but I do agree with why hasn't he featured in U21 games? 
  • Options
    Would be more surprised if he does feature tonight as he been nowhere near the squad for ages.

As for playing for the U21s it rarely happens for any "first team" players now, only if they are coming back from an injury and hardly ever even then.

I doubt Udinese want him playing youth football and it maybe a condition of his loan that he doesn't.

His disappearance is another strange story in the saga of our loans.

If only there was a way to ask Andy Scott?
  • Options
    has the same agent as one of our other last minute loan signings doesn't he?