Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic fended off Wrexham and Derby County bids before transfer window closes

edited September 2023 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic knocked back bids at the end of last week for

George Dobson - Wrexham
Corey Blackett Taylor - Derby County
Miles Leaburn - Unknown German Club and Unknown championship team

Dobson and CBT contracts expire at the end of this season.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-fended-off-wrexham-and-derby-county-bids-before-transfer-window-closes-with-miles-leaburn-also-attracting-approaches/

Comments

• Interesting that an approach was made by a German club for Leaburn.
    Wonder if our German supporters can shine any light on it as to who the club was?
    Would except come January another approach would be incoming.
  • edited September 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Yeah Hollywood money etc etc but have we really fallen so low that we're having to "fend off" Wrexham?!

Though given we didn't even manage that when they took O'Connell off us maybe that actually counts as progress...

They pay more money than us, not to mention they're a very attractive club at the moment, so we will have to fend them off. They didn't take the player so not much to complain about eh. 
  • wonder who the Championship club were after Leaburn
  • wonder who the Championship club were after Leaburn

Southampton or Leicester I would guess. Southampton almost lost Adams and signed Ross Stewart from Sunderland last minute , Leicester were trying to offload Patson Daka.
  • Ambitious Wrexham made a move for Addicks captain Dobson, pictured top.

Dobson has metamorphosis into a second Leaburn. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair play not selling cause those are our best 3 players easily imo 

Worries me for the future though as I don't see any of them being a Charlton player next season or maybe even the second half of the season
  • For balance I believe they would've been interest for Leaburn, Dobson and CBT from clubs so I don't blame the new owners in putting that out there.

The thought that Cafc haven't reached their Nadir yet on the field is a real issue.
  • The club I imagine have leaked this.  Look what we did for you fans.

The calm before and your new manager is .............   'Fans'  Oh shit.    :#
    Totally this, along with all the names leaked for the managers job, when all along it was going to be ...........
  • The club I imagine have leaked this.  Look what we did for you fans.

The calm before and your new manager is .............   'Fans'  Oh shit.    :#
    My first thought too. What a lovely bunch of owners we have :)
  • Let’s hope that Dobbo and CBT do the right thing and sign new contracts before January. Wouldn’t want to lose either (or Miles), but to do so for a tiny fee would be particularly galling. 
  • If we had lost Dobson to Wrexham I would have divorced football.

Slightly suspicious of this story though, smacks a bit of “look - things aren’t as bad as they could have been”.
  • PR spin.

You don't think there would've been bids or interest for Miles, Corey and George ?
    They keep it quiet 🤷🏻‍♂️
    They're getting pelters so quite rightly they want it out there.

Worries me for the future though as I don't see any of them being a Charlton player next season or maybe even the second half of the season
    agree, suspect we have to go up to stand a chance of keeping any of them, even that probably won't be enough to keep Leaburn sadly - enjoy him for this season

agree, suspect we have to go up to stand a chance of keeping any of them, even that probably won't be enough to keep Leaburn sadly - enjoy him for this season
    *for the autumn 
  • Sponsored links:

• That's why Leaburn stayed then - difficult to sign for a club if you don't know who they are.
  • Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Yeah Hollywood money etc etc but have we really fallen so low that we're having to "fend off" Wrexham?!

Though given we didn't even manage that when they took O'Connell off us maybe that actually counts as progress...

They pay more money than us, not to mention they're a very attractive club at the moment, so we will have to fend them off. They didn't take the player so not much to complain about eh. 
    Plenty to complain about. Wrexham think that we're in such a shit state that they can take our arguably best player from us, confirms just how bad we are.

May extra take on this story is that these player's profiles are being raised ready for the shop window.
  • se9addick said:
    If we had lost Dobson to Wrexham I would have divorced football.

Slightly suspicious of this story though, smacks a bit of “look - things aren’t as bad as they could have been”.
    High risk if made up. Can you imagine the meltdown if the other clubs denied it!
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    If we had lost Dobson to Wrexham I would have divorced football.

High risk if made up. Can you imagine the meltdown if the other clubs denied it!
    We'll probably still get the "We dont talk about other clubs players" if Phil Parkinson or Paul Warne got asked about it prior to their next game.

Wrexham though would have had O'Connell | Lee | Dobson as ex-Addicks - Lets face it, if they sign anymore, we know they wont get any higher than League One with that approach.
  • Rolling the pitch for disappointment later
  • Lets face it, before the season started a few people on this board though Taylor was the Dobson replacement...
  • Valley11 said:
    Here’s idea GFP. Instead of wasting time leaking stories like this, why not spend that time signing these three up to new contracts? 

This must be a rhetorical question as why would any of the 3 players who can on a good day play in the Championship or in Leaburn's case be another young British player going to Germany sign an extension contract unless there was a lowish release clause. 
    It really is catch-22 for us to ever improve.