Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic fended off Wrexham and Derby County bids before transfer window closes

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Lets face it, before the season started a few people on this board though Taylor was the Dobson replacement...
    He could still be next season. I don’t see Dobson signing a new deal if we’re still finishing mid table (or worse) in L1.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Yeah Hollywood money etc etc but have we really fallen so low that we're having to "fend off" Wrexham?!

Though given we didn't even manage that when they took O'Connell off us maybe that actually counts as progress...

They pay more money than us, not to mention they're a very attractive club at the moment, so we will have to fend them off. They didn't take the player so not much to complain about eh. 
    Plenty to complain about. Wrexham think that we're in such a shit state that they can take our arguably best player from us, confirms just how bad we are.

May extra take on this story is that these player's profiles are being raised ready for the shop window.
    Well they got O'Connell so no reason why they wouldn't come back and try for someone else.

But i don't think it necessarily means we're a state (i know we are) as they probably asked around a lot of higher division clubs to see who they could get. They signed Boyle from Huddersfield and McClean from Wigan, as well as Evans on a free who was with Millwall last year. All 3 could've easily got higher clubs than league 2.
  • Options
    There must be a link to the sudden Holden departure and change of tone.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Lets face it, before the season started a few people on this board though Taylor was the Dobson replacement...
    He could still be. I don’t see Dobson signing a new deal if we’re still finishing mid table (or worse) in L1.
    I think he'll definitely go if we're still in league one.

On a free transfer, i'd be amazed if he doesn't get a championship club for next season.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Here’s idea GFP. Instead of wasting time leaking stories like this, why not spend that time signing these three up to new contracts? 

This must be a rhetorical question as why would any of the 3 players who can on a good day play in the Championship or in Leaburn's case be another young British player going to Germany sign an extension contract unless there was a lowish release clause. 
    It really is catch-22 for us to ever improve.
    Maybe is they were offered contracts last season, they would have been more eager to sign?
  • Options
    dobson would've been an absolutely unbelievable signing for wrexham. The cajones to put in that bid is like me asking out gemma arteton. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    How desperate are the Shamocracy putting out this story?

Rodwell, Scott, Methven and Warrick, I doubt it worries you how disliked and distrusted you are by some sections of the fanbase (well just me actually) you will come out of the destruction of Charlton Athletic that you might oversee with a pay off anyway.

Mind you, it shows that these jokers are a teensy weensy bit concerned about how they look putting out this (so far) unsubstantiated story.

If the Shamocracy wish to win back the fans then win matches…over and over again.
    Genuinely, if they bought Clarke Harris for 800k it would have shut us all up and we’d have believed they’d wanted to get us promoted and quick. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Yeah Hollywood money etc etc but have we really fallen so low that we're having to "fend off" Wrexham?!

Though given we didn't even manage that when they took O'Connell off us maybe that actually counts as progress...

They pay more money than us, not to mention they're a very attractive club at the moment, so we will have to fend them off. They didn't take the player so not much to complain about eh. 
    Plenty to complain about. Wrexham think that we're in such a shit state that they can take our arguably best player from us, confirms just how bad we are.

May extra take on this story is that these player's profiles are being raised ready for the shop window.
    Well they got O'Connell so no reason why they wouldn't come back and try for someone else.

But i don't think it necessarily means we're a state (i know we are) as they probably asked around a lot of higher division clubs to see who they could get. They signed Boyle from Huddersfield and McClean from Wigan, as well as Evans on a free who was with Millwall last year. All 3 could've easily got higher clubs than league 2.
    But how many if those were under contract and central to their respective squads?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He could still be. I don’t see Dobson signing a new deal if we’re still finishing mid table (or worse) in L1.

On a free transfer, i'd be amazed if he doesn't get a championship club for next season.
    Exactly, and Taylor would then replace him as first choice in the deeper midfield role.
  • Options
    such information is always useful but it should come direct from the club's management not through Rich Cawley in an unattributable comment. While I appreciate all of Rush's news items it is about time that the club communicated with its fan base, after all we do sort of pay their wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:

No no no, that's not how it works.  Anyone that signs for a league 2 club is gutless, lacking ambition or knows their level.

Or is that only for players "we" don't like? 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:

No no no, that's not how it works.  Anyone that signs for a league 2 club is gutless, lacking ambition or knows their level.

Or is that only for players "we" don't like? 
    To address the more general point than the specific one – I think there's a bit of a difference between signing for Wrexham in League Two, on higher wages than you could get anywhere else in League One, and signing for a League Two side because that's all you can get. 
  • Options
    Honestly, what a load PR cobblers. Hot news, the club did nothing - but I bet you like us for it. 
  • Options
    For 'Fended off' of course read 'Did not get offered enough'
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:

But how many if those were under contract and central to their respective squads?
    McClean played every game for Wigan in the championship last season.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rolling the pitch for disappointment later
    100% this. Wankers.
  • Options
    I think more significantly, it shows the reality that we only have 3 players other clubs want 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    thenewbie said:

I never rated OConnell thought he was a very limited player and no loss. League 2 is his level.

After watching Leko run rings around him for MK Dons certainly haven’t changed my opinion . After conceding 5 against MK Dons and Swindon I noticed Wrexham have now dropped him.
  • Options
    do we have to see conspiracy in every bit of press coverage?
  • Options
    do we have to see conspiracy in every bit of press coverage?
    Quite right. I for one am proud of the fact we now have proven football professionals running the club like a well oiled machine, with solid results, a proven manager and an excellent squad

Who knows where we might be without our pink-trousered saviour and the glorious gang of four. 

• Options
    We could of tried dressing Kirk up as Dobbo, after all Hollywood loves a good story...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The only thing holding Dobson back from a championship move was his ability on the ball. That looks to have come on massively so I think he’s definitely too good for league 1 now unfortunately. Terry Taylor should be a good replacement though and I think it’s good that he has a year as understudy so he’s ready to be a key player next season