Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Jackson - Cheap option
    Garner - Cheap option
    Holden - Cheap option
    Appleton - Cheap option

Buy cheap, buy twice is a good saying for a reason.
    GET SOMEONE WITH A GOOD TRACK RECORD
    Not sure Garner was a cheap option, as uniquely amongst recent appointments he was actually under contract elsewhere, so we had to pay compensation.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    masicat said:
    Warnock. 18 month contract with a hefty bonus to achieve Championship football within his contract. 
    Cannot see Warnock moving south at this stage of his life. He's a Yorkshire based crisis manager these days.
    Hasn’t he said before how he enjoys the theatre and restaurants etc that London has to offer. He’s always been generally well received and thought of by Charlton fans even as an opposition manager. He even made a point of signing autographs for the kids and chatting to fans behind the west stand after a sheff utd game once that I witnessed him doing. The shit show that is Charlton does have a lot of promise to it for the right manager who can organise and implement a game plan and I suspect having some success at the Valley would be a tempting opportunity to stick two fingers in the air towards the stripey and hoopy teams. I doubt there’s much chance of him coming in but never say never 
  • Options
    Great week so far.

Lost to Burton and Northampton
    Manager sacked
    Fraser loan collapsed
    CBT left
    U21s lost
    U18s lost in the FA Youth cup.
    Women playing Brighton in continental cup tonight so don't hold your breath for an up turn
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Warnock. 18 month contract with a hefty bonus to achieve Championship football within his contract. 
    Cannot see Warnock moving south at this stage of his life. He's a Yorkshire based crisis manager these days.
    I thought he lived in Cornwall these days
    he does, listened to a podcast recently and he mentioned he still lives local to plymouth
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    went on a lot longer than it should. 

now a top half finish will be seen as some sort of achievement, hate my team atm. 

the players on paper are good enough. 

What about on the grass though?
    Reminds me of one time, listening to Terry Wogan, almost wetting himself, reading out an email from one of his TOGs about how unfair it was for a team to have lost in Europe, playing on aggregate...
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Oddly, but probably not connectedly, I’m told Richard Murray was there last night.

He was the prime decision maker in managerial changes from 1995-2010.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    He had to go, it was clear a few games ago! However now he's gone we need to move on, rapidly!
    We need a man manager, who is a good coach that instlls pride in the shirt and, more importantly, themselves. We do have the players to get us to safety, but we need a manager who has been there and done it at this or Championship level. So for me it's between Jones, Duff, or even Warnock. If it's either of the first 2 I'd ask AC to oversee as an experienced 'old head'. As for Scott he has to get this right or he should also fall on his sword/sacked. 
    Next few days are crucial in the future of our once great club....the clock is ticking!
    Can someone explain to me what Duff has actually done to even begin to be in consideration? Barnsley should have been a club in the play offs, they were Championship the year before and had a strong squad. He's had two half decent seasons in League One and suddenly he's one of the best choices for us? Not convinced.

We need to get out of this mess. We have the players, we need a manager they want to play for and who has a bit of gravitas about him to get them playing. 

Jones seems to be the most capable out there, Bowyer also isn't employed and we know about him. Let's not have a punt on someone who 'might' be good. There's been too much of that. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Hasn’t he said before how he enjoys the theatre and restaurants etc that London has to offer. He’s always been generally well received and thought of by Charlton fans even as an opposition manager. He even made a point of signing autographs for the kids and chatting to fans behind the west stand after a sheff utd game once that I witnessed him doing. The shit show that is Charlton does have a lot of promise to it for the right manager who can organise and implement a game plan and I suspect having some success at the Valley would be a tempting opportunity to stick two fingers in the air towards the stripey and hoopy teams. I doubt there’s much chance of him coming in but never say never 
    I'd be thrilled to get him don't get me wrong. The poor bugger would probably pop his clogs after a couple of months dealing with our circus!
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Absolutely.
    Warnock has made his money so he could tell Scott to mind his own business or I'll walk.
  • Options
    Oddly, but probably not connectedly, I’m told Richard Murray was there last night.

He was the prime decision maker in managerial changes from 1995-2010.
    He was responsible for Dowie, was he responsible for Pardew?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh god - it's going to go wrong and we will go down if we hire someone on the chance they might be good. Non Charlton connection hires have NEVER worked in my lifetime. I am a data guy, and i dont like what the historic data is telling me here!

I am more than happy to take a chance on a Duff / Jones at the start of the year. Hire someone like that now and 100% guaranteed we are gone.

My position is clear, but what way it goes who knows? 

We need something special that gets the fanbase rocking - that much I know. We arent good enough to stay up on the pitch - we need a major spirit in the stands to get the job done.
    Who would unite the majority of the fanbase? Bowyer doesn’t want to come back (confirmed by Cawley) and Powell doesn’t want to be a manager anymore (confirmed by Powell himself in an interview a few months ago).

I don’t see Pearce, Jackson, Euell etc having the same impact on the fans. I don’t see Curbs as the answer either.

Who would you be happy with?

• Options
    Appleton wasn’t the problem .

Don’t leave it like that please!
  • Options
    Great week so far.

Lost to Burton and Northampton
    Manager sacked
    Fraser loan collapsed
    CBT left
    U21s lost
    U18s lost in the FA Youth cup.
    I’d call that consistency and business as usual sadly 
  • Options
    Id like us to go for Rowett personally. 

Usually you have a rough idea who we might end up with but this time, not a clue or even close to knowing. 
  • Options
    Stephen Henderson can go with Appleton. 

He backed him to the hilt and was in on the whole 'get over Curbs' noise. 

Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad 
  • Options
    O`Donnell gone as well

Fleming and Pearce in control for now