Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    First of all, let’s be clear that at Charlton, we don’t have a manager picking the team, we have a Head Coach.

I’d be happy with either Lee Bowyer, Gary Rowett or Gareth Ainsworth. They all know how to get the most out of the players.

However, I have to say that I disagree with sacking Appleton as much as I was with the other coaches before them. Yes, we were shit, but I don’t believe it was due to him, and the same was true with the previous coaches.

I draw the parallel with a teacher at a school. As a teacher, you can be very good at your job but if the students (players) don’t listen,  aren’t motivated, hate the school (club) they’re at, have problems with other students (players), think they’re better than they are, don’t need to study, don’t try to understand and do the work then the teacher won’t succeed.

In addition, if the school administration don’t make the objectives clear, give the necessary information to the teacher, don’t address the teacher’s difficulties effectively, listen to what the teacher thinks is wrong within the organisation then again the teacher won’t succeed.

The teacher then becomes demotivated and at worst just does what the students want in full knowledge that it isn’t what they need, which starts a new vicious circle.
    If, into the bargain, the teacher knows he will have a fully paid up 3 year contract (which would never happen) with no fear for his livlihood then why would he work his bollocks off to the detriment of his private life for a shitshow.

Imagine then a school with multiple teachers like this. The school would slide rapidly down the OFSTED ratings.

Charlton are a club on the slide. All the coaches since Boywer are like the unfortunate teachers in my analogy. Only changing the true management will change things, not replacing Appleton.
    We may get a bounce off this new manager and survive this season but it makes no difference. We will go down by 2025 (I’m sure that I predicted this on here a few years ago). I’d rather have kept Appleton and risk it being this season because with each change we just get worse.
    How on earth could we carry on with him.  How many more games would you have been at before you decided he had to go?

He's in France.
    Lol. Like that makes my opinion unworthy. You have to do better.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Nathan Jones has Charlton links and would
    be my clear number one choice, if there’s any chance I hope we go for it.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Following the departure of Michael Appleton as Men’s First-Team Head Coach, the Board of Directors wanted to update the club's supporters. Please see the update below:

Our current league position and form over the last two months is not good enough and does not match the ambition and investment of the club’s owners or the expectations of us as a Board, the club’s staff and you, the supporters.

To arrest our recent form the decision has been taken to relieve Men’s First-Team Head Coach Michael Appleton and Men’s First-Team Coach Richard O’Donnell of their respective roles.

Our search for the club’s next Men’s First-Team Head Coach is under way. Given our current position and the ambition of everyone at the club, it is vital we get the right appointment to lead Charlton forward. 

In the meantime Curtis Fleming will take interim charge, supported by Jason Pearce and Stephen Henderson. Curtis is a very experienced coach while Jason and Stephen have a real understanding of the club given their history as players at Charlton.

While appointing a new Head Coach is a key priority, we are also well aware that there is just over a week left in the January transfer window. We have already signed seven players this month and we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week. The transfer activity will be overseen, as it has been throughout January, by the club’s Technical Director Andy Scott. 

We would like to thank you for your continued, passionate support and assure you that everyone at the club is working hard to turn things around on the pitch. Your support will play an important role in helping us finish the season as high up the table as possible.

What a load of bollocks. The boards last extensive search identified Michael Appleton as the stand out choice, which clearly he wasn’t. Everyone bar the board knew that. What faith can we have you’ll get it right this time? Very little!
    I don’t get this approach. What’s the point of living then! What’s the point of changing things to better your life! What’s the point of making changes to improve things! Why would anyone bother with anything if they felt there was no point. Why not just give up!

Like I said, I don’t get this approach. We’ve been through a lot but I’d rather stay positive. Better than the alternative. 
    I think you misunderstand.  What he’s saying is that you have to understand why it went wrong in order to be able to get it right. 
    Some people suggest Curbs for the job which is daft imo. What they should be doing is asking Curbs to help out in the recruitment process. 
  • Options
    Rob said:

Following the departure of Michael Appleton as Men’s First-Team Head Coach, the Board of Directors wanted to update the club's supporters. Please see the update below:

Our current league position and form over the last two months is not good enough and does not match the ambition and investment of the club’s owners or the expectations of us as a Board, the club’s staff and you, the supporters.

To arrest our recent form the decision has been taken to relieve Men’s First-Team Head Coach Michael Appleton and Men’s First-Team Coach Richard O’Donnell of their respective roles.

Our search for the club’s next Men’s First-Team Head Coach is under way. Given our current position and the ambition of everyone at the club, it is vital we get the right appointment to lead Charlton forward. 

In the meantime Curtis Fleming will take interim charge, supported by Jason Pearce and Stephen Henderson. Curtis is a very experienced coach while Jason and Stephen have a real understanding of the club given their history as players at Charlton.

While appointing a new Head Coach is a key priority, we are also well aware that there is just over a week left in the January transfer window. We have already signed seven players this month and we are still looking to further strengthen the squad before the window closes next week. The transfer activity will be overseen, as it has been throughout January, by the club’s Technical Director Andy Scott. 

We would like to thank you for your continued, passionate support and assure you that everyone at the club is working hard to turn things around on the pitch. Your support will play an important role in helping us finish the season as high up the table as possible.

What a load of bollocks. The boards last extensive search identified Michael Appleton as the stand out choice, which clearly he wasn’t. Everyone bar the board knew that. What faith can we have you’ll get it right this time? Very little!
    I don’t get this approach. What’s the point of living then! What’s the point of changing things to better your life! What’s the point of making changes to improve things! Why would anyone bother with anything if they felt there was no point. Why not just give up!

Like I said, I don’t get this approach. We’ve been through a lot but I’d rather stay positive. Better than the alternative. 
    I think you misunderstand.  What he’s saying is that you have to understand why it went wrong in order to be able to get it right. 
    Some people suggest Curbs for the job which is daft imo. What they should be doing is asking Curbs to help out in the recruitment process. 
    I do get that. I suppose the hope is they’ve got to get it right sometime. 
  • Options
    Oddly, but probably not connectedly, I’m told Richard Murray was there last night.

He was the prime decision maker in managerial changes from 1995-2010.
    Guessing he’s not a frequent visitor these days?

Wonder what he made looking round and seeing such an empty ground. 
    He probably thought Meire was back.
  • Options

Best Man, Andy Woodman of Bromley FC  Quite successful last three seasons.

or 

Chris Powell

Why not Curbishley
    I wouldn’t mind seeing Curb’s in a director of football type role……maybe even assistant manager of sorts.
    Not sure he'd be much cop at the recruitment side of things having been out of the game for so long but would be useful as a mentor to a less experienced manager - in the same way as Peacock was around to help him early on. Would have been ideal as a dof/mentor to Jackson when he was manager.
  • Options
    Rob said:

MontcalmRed posted the club statement, which I was referring to and it is a load of bollox but of course what else could they say?

Scott said Appleton was the outstanding candidate, probably from a very small pond, we all knew he wasn’t! Why couldn’t they see that, if they couldn’t , then it doesn’t give me much faith they can do better this time around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Rob said:

I do get that. I suppose the hope is they’ve got to get it right sometime. 
    Have you seen anything so far that suggests they will, I haven’t.  
  • Options
    MrBurns said:
    se9addick said:
    He’ll definitely be sacked now. 

I worry that it’s actually gone beyond that now, genuinely worried that this team doesn’t have it in them to keep us up regardless of who’s in charge. 
    If someone that has a strong connection to the club comes in I believe we would stay up. 

This. 100pc. It’s what I’ve been saying for ages.

Christ - please do the right thing and LISTEN to this.

I guarantee Powell would get the crowd pumping to stay up. If we bring in someone like Duff etc we are gone.

It’s not scientific now. We are too far gone to rely on anything but Charlton magic now. 

Please.
    How many clubs are there that need to be managed by someone with history at that club? Can’t think of any really successful ones that do. I agree that it’s certainly worked for us with Curbs, Powell etc. but we shouldn’t limit ourselves to only going for ex players. I think it’s a sign of desperation if anything. Would the biggest clubs be where they are today if they’d done that?
    Yes, fans might be patient for a little longer if things aren’t going well on the pitch, but they/we did turn on JJ and Bowyer eventually. 
    Having said that I would mind if Bowyer came back, and maybe JJ further down the line. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    First of all, let’s be clear that at Charlton, we don’t have a manager picking the team, we have a Head Coach.

I’d be happy with either Lee Bowyer, Gary Rowett or Gareth Ainsworth. They all know how to get the most out of the players.

However, I have to say that I disagree with sacking Appleton as much as I was with the other coaches before them. Yes, we were shit, but I don’t believe it was due to him, and the same was true with the previous coaches.

I draw the parallel with a teacher at a school. As a teacher, you can be very good at your job but if the students (players) don’t listen,  aren’t motivated, hate the school (club) they’re at, have problems with other students (players), think they’re better than they are, don’t need to study, don’t try to understand and do the work then the teacher won’t succeed.

In addition, if the school administration don’t make the objectives clear, give the necessary information to the teacher, don’t address the teacher’s difficulties effectively, listen to what the teacher thinks is wrong within the organisation then again the teacher won’t succeed.

The teacher then becomes demotivated and at worst just does what the students want in full knowledge that it isn’t what they need, which starts a new vicious circle.
    If, into the bargain, the teacher knows he will have a fully paid up 3 year contract (which would never happen) with no fear for his livlihood then why would he work his bollocks off to the detriment of his private life for a shitshow.

Imagine then a school with multiple teachers like this. The school would slide rapidly down the OFSTED ratings.

Charlton are a club on the slide. All the coaches since Boywer are like the unfortunate teachers in my analogy. Only changing the true management will change things, not replacing Appleton.
    We may get a bounce off this new manager and survive this season but it makes no difference. We will go down by 2025 (I’m sure that I predicted this on here a few years ago). I’d rather have kept Appleton and risk it being this season because with each change we just get worse.
    How on earth could we carry on with him.  How many more games would you have been at before you decided he had to go?

He's in France.
    I was just responding to the question he asked or are you refuting you live in France?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

I would have carried on until the end of the season because:

1. It gives the message to current and future players that at Charlton you cannot just ’down tools’, undermine the head coach and expect a change.

2. It shows to future head coaches that at Charlton you get a minimum of one full season.

I accept that this policy means that based on current form we would have got relegated but:

1. I think current form is due to players ’downing tools’ and it wouldn't have continued anyway once they realise the head coach is staying. I believe this because Appleton did get results earlier in the season that got us from our current position up to 9th.

2. We’ve had too many short term, knee jerk reactions. We need to get back to thinking of our long term interest. It shows future coaches that we are not a sacking club. It also shows the players that the head coach is boss and not held ransom to soft baby players of such insolence and disrespect.
    Need to think about our long term interest, but happy to get relegated to prove a point. Make it make sense
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

He's in France.
    I was just responding to the question he asked or are you refuting you live in France?
    Non
  • Options
    Clearly lost the players. Feel sorry for Alperton. I imagine coach rather than manager is what he excels at. "Out on the grass" is where he should be and not in management. Perhaps we could consider this in the next appt. I don't really see Bowyer, Jackson, Adkins, Alperton et al as being solid managers. Adkins aside, all needed a Curbishley as a DoF (adkins needed a lobotomy with his blairite nonsense) none were really men with a longterm vision or at least didn't strike me as such. They were either too petulant and childish (Bowysr) or nice (Jacko, Alperton, Holden) 

Let's get in an absolute rough house with a pair of old time "b******s" (warnock?!) and a strategy to get this club back up to where it belongs and deserves to be...

...12th in League 1!! 

Alperton is near Wembley you clown.
  • Options
    SELR addicks posted this on the Andy Scott appointed thread. These are the people running our club, they haven't got a fucking clue. I dread to think who we will end up with next.

Charlton’s Technical Director Andy Scott led the recruitment process, supported by Managing Director James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, Sporting Director of the club’s owners Global Football Partners. 

Scott commented: “The appointment of Michael comes following an in-depth recruitment process. We had a clear idea of the type of person we wanted, the way they work and how they manage.

“When speaking to the various candidates that we met, Michael demonstrated very clearly that he would have the ability to take the current group and mould them into a successful team. 

“He has worked at the very top level so he understands what high standards are required to win. He is a leader on the grass, as well as in the dressing room, has a winning mentality and has had many positive and negative experiences as a manager that have shaped him into the coach that we believe will be the best person for the job. 

“He is a coach who knows what it takes to get a team promoted. He has a track record of working with, and developing, young players, which is vital given our outstanding academy. In addition, he has experience working in a modern set-up where his responsibilities are on managing a group of players and getting the best out of them on the pitch.”

Andy Scott, James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, get your coats.

And we all knew that Appleton was their mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

He's in France.
    He asked ’How many more games would you have been at before you decided he had to go?' 

Although I accept your point (not made on this forum) that being there is not the same as watching on TV, I don’t think he meant that I actually have to be AT the game. Besides, as you know, living in France, although hindering attendance does not prevent it totally.

Anyway, I think being AT the match can often cloud judgement because decisions are made on the anger you feel. You get caught up too much in the emotion. Do you never look at other clubs from afar and have disbelief over sackings, many of which are the cause of overemotional decisions? Does anyone for example understand why the Palace fans had those banners at Arsenal?
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Andy Scott.....Technical Director...says it all really.
    Why ? Why does there have to be someone to blame if MA .. was the best available then so be it …. Richard Murray made a number of poor calls .. 
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see where his next job is. I do wonder why he could not sort out the defence, I can only assume it was a poor tactical setup, with players not comfortable with the requirements. To get where they are as professionals they cannot all be that rubbish?
    His stats for Blackpool look remarkably similar to ours.