Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    Rowett would be my ideal choice. I know his managerial career has been a bit hit and miss but he really got Millwall moving and playing decent football. I can't see us getting him though as he's probably holding out for a championship job.

Jones wouldn't be a bad shout but there's something I can't put my finger on with him. I feel like when the pressure is on he loses the plot a bit.

Duffy is probably the most "get-able" one for us and I wouldn't be disappointed with him.

I'm a no for Warnock, Lee Johnson, Powell, Bows or Curbs
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    I hadn’t spotted the role of the “sporting director” of Global Football Partners in the appointment of Appleton, according to the club. What is his (Simon Lenagan’s) wider responsibility with GFP? Is he on the Charlton payroll too? 
    21 Jul 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic

GLOBAL FOOTBALL PARTNERS PURCHASE CHARLTON ATHLETIC                           [extract]

GFP, which has made the acquisition via its UK subsidiary SE7 Partners, is made up of seven shareholders with 5%+ each (detailed below). Those shareholders will sit on GFP’s Board of Directors, along with Finance Director Ed Warrick and Technical Adviser Simon Lenagan. GFP also has a small number of shareholders whose holdings are less than 5% each.

I'm guessing this implies SL is a shareholder, but <5% as his shareholding has not to my knowledge been confirmed.

08 Sep 2023: https://www.charltonafc.com/news/michael-appleton-named-head-coach

Re appointment of Michael Appleton as Head Coach:

Charlton’s Technical Director Andy Scott led the recruitment process, supported by Managing Director James Rodwell and Simon Lenagan, Sporting Director of the club’s owners Global Football Partners.

As to whether or not he is on Charlton's payroll, your guess is as good as mine - but I wouldn't be surprised!
    Thanks. Perhaps he’s technical adviser and sporting director - two roles for the price of one!
    Simon Lenagan has played more than just two roles! 

Googling him is a veritable rabbit hole.  
  • Options
    I hope we don't rush into a rash (and cheap) decision again. I'd say give Fleming a month and if he's  doing okay, extend it til the summer and you never know, against all odds we might even find he's our new "messiah".
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    I want our club to be woke because woke means being alert to racist oppression and nothing else.

woke
    /wəʊk/
    verb
    1. past of wake1.

Quite right, it also means the past tense of wake.
  • Options
    The Lowry film with Spall and Redgrave was pretty good.
  • Options
    MA the next Liverpool manager perhaps 
  • Options
    Appleton is going home to replace Klopp at Anfield.

• Options
    Scott’s informed the Liverpool board that Michael is the outstanding choice.
  • Options
    He's coached at the highest level! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alex Neill.is favourite now 1/2
  • Options
    He's coached at the highest level! 
    Yes, but only at Leicester where he assisted under Shakespeare and Puel for a year, and did two games himself between the two as caretaker boss, although both were wins. 
  • Options
    "heaven knows I'm miserable now" and I've never seen him smile either.
    Don't think he'd drop to L1
  • Options
    Some may remember I had an obscure personal connection to Appleton ( my wife's friends daughter in law is MA's wife's best friend). His family home is in Cheshire and that was never going to change however long he was with us. Given the length of his last two assignments you can see why they wouldn't move.

Although I never met him socially I had hoped he would succeed.I felt the game was up when the crowd turned against him at Orient. I don't understand why he wasn't gone before Tuesday and on a human level I felt sorry for him.

The window interested me. I was excited by Coventry and Ladapo's signings and found it bizarre how the mood seemed positive pre Burton only to pivot back with interest immediately following the defeat.

Whoever we appoint next needs at least two clear years ( unless we get relegated). I hope as a fan base we support them and allow them time.

By far this is the most depressing time to be an Addick and we need to unite again as a fan base.
  • Options
    That will be because loads of people have put a bet on. Manager odds markets are incredibly volatile
  • Options
    I can't imagine the Kop being too pleased with that
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Some may remember I had an obscure personal connection to Appleton ( my wife's friends daughter in law is MA's wife's best friend). His family home is in Cheshire and that was never going to change however long he was with us. Given the length of his last two assignments you can see why they wouldn't move.

Although I never met him socially I had hoped he would succeed.I felt the game was up when the crowd turned against him at Orient. I don't understand why he wasn't gone before Tuesday and on a human level I felt sorry for him.

The window interested me. I was excited by Coventry and Ladapo's signings and found it bizarre how the mood seemed positive pre Burton only to pivot back with interest immediately following the defeat.

Whoever we appoint next needs at least two clear years ( unless we get relegated). I hope as a fan base we support them and allow them time.

By far this is the most depressing time to be an Addick and we need to unite again as a fan base.
    I'm sure Appleton said in an interview that he planned to move down to London because his wife works in PR and had got a job in London.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Richard J said:

Fans have to feel a connection to the club for that to happen. It doesn’t have to be an ex-player as manager but it needs to be more substantial than the chumocracy seem likely to provide.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I want our club to be woke because woke means being alert to racist oppression and nothing else.
    It doesn't matter how many times you repeat the same thing, it still doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    I hope we don't rush into a rash (and cheap) decision again. I'd say give Fleming a month and if he's  doing okay, extend it til the summer and you never know, against all odds we might even find he's our new "messiah".
    Might as well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

I'm sure Appleton said in an interview that he planned to move down to London because his wife works in PR and had got a job in London.
    That was Holden.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I want world peace and a bigger schlong, but  what one wants and what one gets are two entirely different tings
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

That was Holden.
    It wasn’t, Holden’s wife is a presenter. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

That was Holden.
    I can assure you that MA's wife doesn't work in London. 
  • Options
    Andy Scott was seen taking the the shelf filler in Poundland.
  • Options
    Read this about Curtis Fleming on Wikipedia.

After retirement

Fleming later worked as a pundit on Setanta Sports for a period during 2006[citation needed] and was linked with the position of assistant manager to Pat Fenlon at Derry City in the League of Ireland.[citation needed] His playing career has continued at an amateur level, with Fleming appearing regularly in the 2006–07 season for Northern League side Billingham Synthonia as a central defender.[citation needed] Curtis is a valued supporter of the charity Show Racism the Red Card and spoke with passion and humour about his experiences of racism in the game at SRTRC's fifteenth anniversary event at UNISON HQ on 3 August 2011.

Curtis Fleming is also a patron of the charity Justice First and took part in a fundraising event at Goals Soccer Saturday with his team The Misfits losing 5–2 in the final to Hope athletic. Despite this Curtis graciously handed over the trophy to the winners.

• Options
    Ok
    So you know where I live
    Um.  I just heard something.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

That was Holden.
    I can assure you that MA's wife doesn't work in London. 
    Well, he definitely said it in an interview mate 😂
  • Options
    Backed, sacked and cracked.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Ok
    So you know where I live
    Um.  I just heard something.
    Probably a fox mate, just open the door and smash a spoon on a saucepan