Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Climate Emergency

Very disturbing data emerging regarding Antarctic sea ice or more precisely the lack of it. What’s being seen at present is so far beyond previous data sets it’s to quote a spokesperson from National Snow and Ice Data Center, “ it’s mind blowing”. Without intending to get political I’m really struggling to see quite how man made climate change is still in some quarters being denied. How close to the precipice mankind is I don’t know but I feel we’re accelerating towards it at an alarming rate of knots and now probably at a rate we’ll be unable to reverse. 

Comments

• Options
    Very disturbing data emerging regarding Antarctic sea ice or more precisely the lack of it. What’s being seen at present is so far beyond previous data sets it’s to quote a spokesperson from National Snow and Ice Data Center, “ it’s mind blowing”. Without intending to get political I’m really struggling to see quite how man made climate change is still in some quarters being denied. How close to the precipice mankind is I don’t know but I feel we’re accelerating towards it at an alarming rate of knots and now probably at a rate we’ll be unable to reverse. 

Yes, the rate of acceleration in the anticipated consequences of climate change is where the science is less certain, and the loss of sea ice appears to be more rapid than their model simulation outcomes.
  • Options
    This goes beyond the usual politics of left vs right I.e. how to organise the economy and society....

This is about survival of the species - the most fundamental of all issues 
    It should be beyond the usual politics of left and right, but unfortunately it has become just that.
  • Options
    The problem is you are never going to get the big "poluters" on board..... China, India and to a lesser extent the US. 

The UK have dedicated to get to "net zero" by 2050 (or thereabouts) and to get the sale of diesel & petrol cars to zero by 2030. That is just not going to happen. The amount of charging points that will be needed so that   ALL car drivers can economically/speedily charge their cars in 6 years time is just not viable. 

I applaud all those trying to save the planet but when my juice carton has on it "check locally for recycling" then sadly not enough is being done by manufacturing Companies.

• Options
    Old Mother Earth is heating up like a dirty great big cake.

And if were not careful, the icing’s going to melt 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s this got to do with Charlton? Should be in a different category
  • Options
    The problem is you are never going to get the big "poluters" on board..... China, India and to a lesser extent the US. 

The UK have dedicated to get to "net zero" by 2050 (or thereabouts) and to get the sale of diesel & petrol cars to zero by 2030. That is just not going to happen. The amount of charging points that will be needed so that   ALL car drivers can economically/speedily charge their cars in 6 years time is just not viable. 

I applaud all those trying to save the planet but when my juice carton has on it "check locally for recycling" then sadly not enough is being done by manufacturing Companies.

The problem is if the main polluters don't make significant changes then the effect of the changes by the minions has minimal effect.

Why don't the Just Sop Oil lot lobby those that can make a significant differences rather than (virtually pointless) protests that adversely affect people going about their every day business and in many cases cause more pollution. They could be so much more effective - makes you wonder how genuine they actually are as they seem to be counter-productive
  • Options

Alarming. Terrifying. And nothing political about scientific fact and a very real threat to the planet. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options

These “net zero” targets are to me at least, and I have to say I’m certainly no expert are virtually irrelevant. Looking at what’s happening around the world on every continent over just the last five years, the natural weather associated disasters seems to be accelerating year on year. Records like ocean temperatures and consecutive days of heat and now this startling revelation about Antarctic ice plus probably dozens more broken records. I have no doubt although I hope I’m wrong that all of these recent records will be broken again within a few years never mind before 2050. By then I hate to imagine what will have happened. It really is terrifying and it seems that mankind is just content to walk forward into this hellfire future with minimal concern. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Green algae looks promising for carbon capture. Can be grown in salt water, sucks up carbon dioxide, decreased carbon dioxide moves lower atmosphere back to more stable lower temperatures (and upper atmosphere back to more stable higher temperatures).

Just need to work out what to do with the stuff after growing half an ocean of it now. 
  • Options
    Green algae looks promising for carbon capture. Can be grown in salt water, sucks up carbon dioxide, decreased carbon dioxide moves lower atmosphere back to more stable lower temperatures (and upper atmosphere back to more stable higher temperatures).

Just need to work out what to do with the stuff after growing half an ocean of it now. 
    What do you do if green algae growth gets out of hand and causes other issues... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

What do you do if green algae growth gets out of hand and causes other issues... 
    Turn it into Sustainable Aviation Fuel
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Turn it into Sustainable Aviation Fuel
    Or burgers
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Old Mother Earth is heating up like a dirty great big cake.

And if were not careful, the icing’s going to melt 
    Didn't realise Dave Angel posted on here. I particularly enjoyed when we saw "Shirl" burning those tyres in the lake district on national trust property. Marvellous. 😉
  • Options
    Too many factors mean it's too far gone now. For us to reverse global warming we'd need to cull half the world's population, by next week, and completely ban all fossil fuels and resource mining/extraction immediately and forever. 

We'd also have to stop anyone farming or consuming animal products, and replant all the trees we've cut down in the past 70 years, and that probably still won't be enough to stop what's happened 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Too many factors mean it's too far gone now. For us to reverse global warming we'd need to cull half the world's population, by next week, and completely ban all fossil fuels and resource mining/extraction immediately and forever. 

We'd also have to stop anyone farming or consuming animal products, and replant all the trees we've cut down in the past 70 years, and that probably still won't be enough to stop what's happened 
    Not necessary to cull half the world's population. It's how we live, not how many of us there are, that is the problem 

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Not necessary to cull half the world's population. It's how we live, not how many of us there are, that is the problem 

And what percentage of the world's population are prepared to drastically change the way they live?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Are you going to give them a choice: change or be culled?