Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Klopp being Klopp.
    He is just obnoxious at times.
  • Options
    People have long spoken about the demise of the FA Cup, but I still love it!
  • Options
    edited March 18
    They couldn’t cool down the Man U/Liverpool ball quickly enough… :-)

Coventry v Man Utd
    Man City v Chelsea
    Did they actually read out or show the numbers associated with each club, before the draw? 
    So it could have been made up as they liked.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A great weekend of games, but pretty uninspiring that 3 of the semi-finalists are Big 6 teams yet again. Weird that despite having a poor season, Chelsea have still made an EFL cup final and the FA Cup semis.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A great weekend of games, but pretty uninspiring that 3 of the semi-finalists are Big 6 teams yet again. Weird that despite having a poor season, Chelsea have still made an EFL cup final and the FA Cup semis.
    Semi-finalists currently ranked 3rd, 6th, 11th and 28th in the league ladder feels like a decent spread for this stage of the tournament to me. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Semi-finalists currently ranked 3rd, 6th, 11th and 28th in the league ladder feels like a decent spread for this stage of the tournament to me. 
    Chelsea (11th) are hardly plucky minnows though, savouring a trip to Wembley as a life highlight for their fans.

They've been in 3 out of the last 4 finals, and 5 out of the last 7  :#
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Chelsea (11th) are hardly plucky minnows though, savouring a trip to Wembley as a life highlight for their fans.

Saw Pochettino in a press conference trying to claim their season has been a success because they'll be going to Wembley twice. 

Completely ignorant of the fact that one was a final they lost to most of Liverpool's reserves and the other is a semi final that a) they'll probably lose and b) most people don't think should be held at Wembley anyway.

I'm pretty sure the owners don't see the team sat in 11th in the league is much of a success.
  • Options
    lots of last gasp goals and upsets in three terrific ties last weekend and one routine win for Citteee v Newcastle .. England must be the best place on the planet nowadays to watch skilful, exciting, proper football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Klopp being Klopp.
    He is just obnoxious at times.
    can't wait for him to shove off back to Hunland and take his dentist with him  :D
  • Options
    Will be interesting if Coventry make the Cup final and the play off final, due to be played on the same weekend
  • Options
    Should be easy for Wembley to rearrange events!!!! 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Should be easy for Wembley to rearrange events!!!! 
     Very good. The week’s either side are other play off finals and the CL final. Suppose they could swap with league 1 or 2.
  • Options
    Will be interesting if Coventry make the Cup final and the play off final, due to be played on the same weekend
    Hadn't noticed that. Strange scheduling, as while it's an unlikely that a team will reach both, it's hardly impossible as Championship clubs do reach the FA Cup final, happening twice in the 2000s.
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Mark Robins, the quiet* ex striker who saved Ferguson's job with that goal at Oxford after United were losing to teams like Cafc at Selhurst park is such an underrated manager with the Job he has done at Coventry.

Robins took over from Russel hands in pockets Slade in League 2 for his 2nd spell in charge 6/3/17 and achieved promotion through the play offs in 17/18 season.
    Two years in League 1 before going up as Champions in 19/20 season.
    Then steady progress in the Championship until the Play-off final last season and only losing to Luton on Pens.

Some managers are suited to one club, where they have the support of owners and fans.

*Quiet normally but maybe not with ball boys !
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Ah I see, I guess we both want different things out of it.

FA Cup early rounds I love the prospect of an upset, I want to see a group of pampered Premier League stars get turned over by a team 60 places below them on the ladder on some ploughed field in a town out in the sticks.

By the time we get to the latter stages I’m happy with watching the big boys go toe to toe, Man Utd v Liverpool yesterday was amazing fun as a neutral. Shrewsbury v Man City in a semi final would probably be less so. 
    I much prefer it if reaching an FA Cup win really means something to the fans, other than yet more silverware and a European place.

If Chelsea or Man U win, it's a EL place and a stay of execution for their managers. If City win, it's the least important trophy of the 3 they're targeting. For none of the fans will this trophy be a highlight of supporting their club.

By contrast for most other clubs, they may only have one or two trophies in the last 70 years, if that. And it doesn't have to be small clubs either, if the likes of Villa or even Newcastle were to win the cup, for most of their fans that would be the first major trophy they would have seen them win. And even Spurs fall in this category to an extent, with their ludicrous trophy drought.
  • Options
    They've said that the play off final is likely to be pushed back to 2 June if Coventry reach both finals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know it’s been said before, but by Christ, Nicolas Jackson is a turd of a player.
    Needs to concentrate on improving his game rather than silly haircuts. Should have had a hat trick in this game by now.
  • Options
    I know it’s been said before, but by Christ, Nicolas Jackson is a turd of a player.
    Needs to concentrate on improving his game rather than silly haircuts. Should have had a hat trick in this game by now.
    Absolutely. Add in that he was the one trying to steal the penalty glory from Palmer the other day. He’s so interested in trying to look good, he can’t be bothered to work on actually being good.
  • Options
    If they had a proper striker, Chelsea could be out of sight here.
  • Options
    Do I detect a hint of haircut jealosy?
  • Options
    Chelsea should probably have won that but if you don't take your chances against a side like City you will invariably be punished. City did well to win in 90 minutes given they played extra time in midweek and Chelsea had a week off. 
  • Options
    3-2 now, Coventry making a game of it.
  • Options
    Why did Onana stop and watch that go in?  
  • Options
    edited April 21
    BLOODY HELL... Coventry penalty

To be fair, its less of a handball than the Grealish one yesterday
  • Options
    3-3 ridiculous comeback  :D
  • Options
    WOW!!! - I only tuned back in a few minutes ago, as at 3-0 thought it was over