Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Looks like Starc and Cummins have a few more £ in their pockets 
  • Options
    Seb was facing Spencer Johnson in club cricket in Adelaide last season. Johnson went for five times the amount fetched for the likes of David Willey, Lochie Ferguson and Tom Curran at US$1.2m. Just goes to show that it is possible these days for a player's value to rocket - and plumet for that matter - based on a relatively select amount of performances and not dependent on international successes either. 
  • Options
    It doesn't look like Sam Billings was picked in the IPL
    Neither were Phil Salt, Josh Inglis, Ben Duckett or Kusal Mendis and their stock is higher than that of Billings as keeper/bats especially they are all top three bats too 
  • Options
    Any number of Kent connections in the Sydney Sixers (SS) v Adelaide Strikers (AS) game played today - Wes Agar (AS & Kent), James Bazley (AS, Kent & Sandwich CC), Jackson Bird (SS & Kent), Jack Edwards (SS & Bromley CC) and finally Carl Hooper (AS batting coach & Kent). The Sixers won by one run. 
  • Options
    Surrey and Minster's Laurie Evans has just hit 85 not out off 28 balls for the Perth Scorchers (18 ball 50 was the fastest in the Scorchers' history) against the Adelaide Strikers. Kent's James Bazley returned figures of 3-0-57-0 and Surrey's Jamie Overton had 4-0-44-2. Zak Crawley made 10 off 14. In the other game Tom Curran was out for 3 off 4 balls, had figures of 2-0-19-0 and dropped an absolute sitter in what was a low scoring game. Sam Billings was out for a single.   
  • Options
    I see Elgar is retiring from international cricket after this SA/India series due to lack of red ball cricket in South Africa

Wonder if he will rock up in county championship ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I see Elgar is retiring from international cricket after this SA/India series due to lack of red ball cricket in South Africa

Perhaps he wants to play on better tracks - SA 55 all out against India in their 2nd Test and India 110-4 in reply 
  • Options
    Surrey and Minster's Laurie Evans has just hit 85 not out off 28 balls for the Perth Scorchers (18 ball 50 was the fastest in the Scorchers' history) against the Adelaide Strikers. Kent's James Bazley returned figures of 3-0-57-0 and Surrey's Jamie Overton had 4-0-44-2. Zak Crawley made 10 off 14. In the other game Tom Curran was out for 3 off 4 balls, had figures of 2-0-19-0 and dropped an absolute sitter in what was a low scoring game. Sam Billings was out for a single.   
    Evans, despite his 85* off 28, might not even get MOM as the Aussie speedster, Lance Morris, has returned 4-0-24-5 
  • Options
    edited January 3
    Darcey Carter (Kent, Scotland and Folkestone cricketer) is one of four players to be nominated for the ICC Women’s Emerging Cricketer of the Year Award alongside Phoebe Litchfield, Marufa Akter and Lauren Bell. No one will be prouder of Darcey's achievements more than her Dad who I've known since we first went on tour together some 35 or so years ago!
  • Options
    Hopefully this is a sign of things to come so far as the Nevill is concerned although the word "eventual" isn't exactly "imminent" and I'm really not sure that T20 matches will tell Kent or the ECB anything so far as the longevity of a pitch for a four day, first team match is concerned:

• Kent Second XI will play four T20 matches at the Nevill Ground, Tunbridge Wells in 2024 to support the eventual return of First XI cricket to the Nevill
    • Kent Men’s Second Team will face Zimbabwe A in a 50-over match this July, with free entry to The County Ground, Beckenham
    • All Kent Second XI fixtures held at Kent Cricket venues will be free entry to all, with no need to pre-book tickets
    • Kent’s Second Team will face the South Asian Cricket Academy at Beckenham in June, with 14 extra days of cricket now scheduled at The County Ground in 2024. This takes the total days of cricket in Beckenham in 2024 to 24, up from 19 in 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully this is a sign of things to come so far as the Nevill is concerned although the word "eventual" isn't exactly "imminent" and I'm really not sure that T20 matches will tell Kent or the ECB anything so far as the longevity of a pitch for a four day, first team match is concerned:

• Kent Second XI will play four T20 matches at the Nevill Ground, Tunbridge Wells in 2024 to support the eventual return of First XI cricket to the Nevill
    • Kent Men’s Second Team will face Zimbabwe A in a 50-over match this July, with free entry to The County Ground, Beckenham
    • All Kent Second XI fixtures held at Kent Cricket venues will be free entry to all, with no need to pre-book tickets
    • Kent’s Second Team will face the South Asian Cricket Academy at Beckenham in June, with 14 extra days of cricket now scheduled at The County Ground in 2024. This takes the total days of cricket in Beckenham in 2024 to 24, up from 19 in 2023
    Oooh, thanks, AA ! 

Might have to take the bus to our local ground when the T20 fixtures are announced & would urge others to do so . We need to show the ECB & Kent CCC that this is a great venue and one that would appreciate the return of 1st X1 matches for those who find Canterbury & Beckenham too far afield by public transport. 

Let's hear it for the Nevill !! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Ended up at Essex on 3 year deal
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Ended up at Essex on 3 year deal
    He's no SAC but he'll do I suppose!
  • Options
    Jack Leaning has signed a new contract until at least the end of 2026. 
  • Options
    Jack Leaning has signed a new contract until at least the end of 2026. 
    Great stuff ! 

One of my current Kent favourites.
  • Options
    Not sure Leaning is good enough as a pure batsman, but his bowling has come on nicely so can be classed as an all rounder now
  • Options
    For all you Kent fans who want to get away from the humdrum of Charlton, young Denly is playing for England U'19s today.
    I think he has taken a couple of wickets. Live on Sky now.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    pettgra said:
    For all you Kent fans who want to get away from the humdrum of Charlton, young Denly is playing for England U'19s today.
    I think he has taken a couple of wickets. Live on Sky now.
    I've mentioned him on the England thread. Bowled well and took 3-37 off 7.2 but then struggled against the pace and bounce of the two Saffer opening bowlers and was bowled for a single off  half a dozen balls.   
  • Options
    Ah did not realise that. Thank you.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Harry Finch for an incredible 144 in the Hazlett Trophy Final for Onslow Cricket Club against Upper Hutt (NZ).
    Harry scored 400 runs in the total throughout the competition and was the leading runs scorer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting interview with Matt Walker about the wicket keeping situation. In a nutshell, we won't be signing another keeper "at this stage". There aren't, as far as I am aware, any in our Academy but there are two or three knocking around in the Kent League who certainly wouldn't look out of place in the 50 over comp. In any event, should we need to, we will get one in on loan. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/kent-show-their-faith-in-finch-301066/?fbclid=IwAR2cg1pf-06m5tZfhNjQnK0vdniiEcYook24ZtnVRibka-cP3hLYlzpvnYw

• Options
    Interesting interview with Matt Walker about the wicket keeping situation. In a nutshell, we won't be signing another keeper "at this stage". There aren't, as far as I am aware, any in our Academy but there are two or three knocking around in the Kent League who certainly wouldn't look out of place in the 50 over comp. In any event, should we need to, we will get one in on loan. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/kent-show-their-faith-in-finch-301066/?fbclid=IwAR2cg1pf-06m5tZfhNjQnK0vdniiEcYook24ZtnVRibka-cP3hLYlzpvnYw

Wouldn't be surprised if a loan keeper came from Sussex , we've got loads now 😅 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if a loan keeper came from Sussex , we've got loads now 😅 
    You can never have enough keepers - England have four of them in the current team!
  • Options
    Billings might have a white ball only contract, BUT if say Finch couldn't play, and it didn't clash with white ball commitments, surely Billings would take the gloves? It's not as if franchise competitions run across the whole of our summer.
  • Options
    Billings might have a white ball only contract, BUT if say Finch couldn't play, and it didn't clash with white ball commitments, surely Billings would take the gloves? It's not as if franchise competitions run across the whole of our summer.
    Yes thats what Walker said in his article , that Sam was around if needed.  I would imagine that it would also give a load opportunities for other keepers to try out in the 2s all season, so you never know they might uncover a player that way. 
  • Options
    Sam Billing's room mate at school was the England R U hooker and new captain Jamie George .. not a lot of people knew that  :) .. Thanks to the Times
  • Options
    With the schedule of the modern game, it is impossible to think that a player could enjoy playing both football and cricket at any decent level. That wasn't the case decades ago as we can see from the picture below with Derek Ufton, Stuart Leary and Sid O'Linn all playing for Kent as well as CAFC. In fact, there was a fourth player of that era not in the picture who did both too - Tony Pawson - albeit I believe that he only actually played a couple of League games for Charlton.

May be an image of 11 people people playing soccer people playing football and text that says CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1953-54 Standing Standing B Fenton L Campbell Bartram Ufton Hewie Hammond Sated Hurst S OLinn S Leary  Firmani W Kiernan
  • Options
    With the schedule of the modern game, it is impossible to think that a player could enjoy playing both football and cricket at any decent level. That wasn't the case decades ago as we can see from the picture below with Derek Ufton, Stuart Leary and Sid O'Linn all playing for Kent as well as CAFC. In fact, there was a fourth player of that era not in the picture who did both too - Tony Pawson - albeit I believe that he only actually played a couple of League games for Charlton.

May be an image of 11 people people playing soccer people playing football and text that says CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1953-54 Standing Standing B Fenton L Campbell Bartram Ufton Hewie Hammond Sated Hurst S OLinn S Leary  Firmani W Kiernan
    Fred Lucas was around at that time too and played regularly for Kent 2nd XI as well as Charlton.
  • Options
    These days cricketers spend much of the winter, certainly after Christmas, getting ready for the new season. Footballers have a long summer pre-season period before the season starts.

I imagine back then that players who played both sports went straight from one to the other, then back again! Fitness wouldn't be a problem, but after 8 months kicking a football, I imagine your batting and bowling will be a bit rusty...
  • Options
    These days cricketers spend much of the winter, certainly after Christmas, getting ready for the new season. Footballers have a long summer pre-season period before the season starts.

I imagine back then that players who played both sports went straight from one to the other, then back again! Fitness wouldn't be a problem, but after 8 months kicking a football, I imagine your batting and bowling will be a bit rusty...
    These days if you are any good at either sport and tied to a Pro academy they usually make you give up any others at quite a young age. Pity really, i wonder how many budding footballers have given up cricket opportunities just to be released before they get a decent pro career.