Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    94-3 off 25 overs at close of play

DBD      47* (57)
    Finch    28* (55)
  • Options
    So, from what I can see, we are utilising 12 players in this warm up game. The ones missing from our squad appear to be:

Crawley
    Denly (Joe)
    O'Riordan
    Billings  
    Qadri
    Agar 
    Bartlett  
    Bhuiyan
    Cohen
    Klaassen  
    Stewart

I'm not convinced that Crawley will bother to play early season, Billings and Klaassen will only play red ball in the case of an emergency, Qadri and O'Riordan have no chance of being selected early season given that we won't play a second frontline spinner plus Bhuiyan and Cohen will probably struggle to get in front of the other quicks at this stage. That leaves just Agar and Bartlett who will come straight in plus Joe Denly and Stewart as the only other ones not playing in this game.

With the above in mind, I could see our XI for the first CC game looking something like this:

Compton
    Muyeye
    DBD
    Leaning
    Denly (Joe)
    Finch
    Evison
    Bartlett
    Agar
    Quinn/Gilchrist/Singh
    Parkinson 

• Options
    Very interested to see how Bartlett goes in English conditions. Has been very impressive in the BBL. 
  • Options
    edited March 26
    We appear to have declared on 184-7 although that really is of no relevance given that DBD (47), Finch (54) and Evison (33) have all retired. O'Riordan is in the 13 that are playing in this "game" and he was out for 8. Compton came in for a second innings but was LBW for a duck (and a pair) as was Leaning out without scoring too in his second innings. Muyeye made 17 in his second innings and Jaydn Denly was 0* at the time of the declaration.    
  • Options
    I see Harry Brook and Joe Root are going to be playing in some of the early CC for Yorkshire. Notwithstanding what I've said previously, does that mean that Crawley will be available for us after all?  
  • Options
    Can’t see why Crawley won’t be involved, when is the next men’s test games ?

Addick Addict said:
    I see Harry Brook and Joe Root are going to be playing in some of the early CC for Yorkshire. Notwithstanding what I've said previously, does that mean that Crawley will be available for us after all?  

• Options
    Can’t see why Crawley won’t be involved, when is the next men’s test games ?

Addick Addict said:

Not until July
  • Options
    So Middx declared on 56-4 in their 2nd innings with a wicket each to Quinn, Gilchrist, Garrett and Singh.

We are batting again and are currently 29-4 with Ethan Bamber, who has been playing in the same South Australia cricket League as Jas Singh this winter, taking three of them. The men out are Muyeye (5), Compton (11), O'Riordan (0) and Jaydn Denly (0)
  • Options
    For once I worry more about our batting than our ability to take 20 wickets this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Match drawn on 29-4 with DBD on 3* and Finch 10*.

Difficult to make too much of such a game but I don't think it's unfair to suggest that it would be nice to see a bit more from the likes of Compton and Muyeye against Surrey. 
  • Options
    Match drawn on 29-4 with DBD on 3* and Finch 10*.

Difficult to make too much of such a game but I don't think it's unfair to suggest that it would be nice to see a bit more from the likes of Compton and Muyeye against Surrey. 
    THIS with knobs on, please !
  • Options
    Our match against Surrey has only lasted 4.1 overs before the inevitable showers stopped play. The toss was uncontested with Surrey batting and are 18-0. 

Stewart, who missed the warm up game against Middlesex, opened the bowling in a side that otherwise much resembles that one. Strangely, Joe Denly is absent  once again - O'Riordan appears to be occupying the number five berth.  
  • Options
    Little surprise that play has been abandoned for the day. 
  • Options
    Our match against Surrey has only lasted 4.1 overs before the inevitable showers stopped play. The toss was uncontested with Surrey batting and are 18-0. 

Stewart, who missed the warm up game against Middlesex, opened the bowling in a side that otherwise much resembles that one. Strangely, Joe Denly is absent  once again - O'Riordan appears to be occupying the number five berth.  
    Duckworth Lewis says that Surrey would have scored 641 for 3 declared and Kent would have scored 93 all out
  • Options
    I'm afraid Cox's credibility has somewhat diminished and if he seriously thinks that The Hundred is the best competition in the world then he needs to look a bit closer as to who of the top white ball players from India, Australia, South Africa etc actually end up playing in it when compared to the IPL. Because they aren't the ones he's been speaking to in Abu Dhabi and Pakistan!

"I think it's the best tournament in the world, and I'm happy to say that," he added. "I haven't been to the IPL but it's nine weeks and the Hundred is three-and-a-half, four weeks. All the overseas want to come, I was talking to the boys in Abu Dhabi and Pakistan, they were all saying 'the draft's next week. I can't wait. I really want to come.' And I'm like, mate, it's the best comp ever. Like, unbelievable. The crowds are great and the standard of cricket's quality."
  • Options
    Yes, that was weird.

Quite derogatory about Kent too. Yes, we're not challenging for the county championship title, but he's hardly been contributing himself. 
  • Options
    Yes, that was weird.

Quite derogatory about Kent too. Yes, we're not challenging for the county championship title, but he's hardly been contributing himself. 
    It's what Billings and Downton were inferring - the fact that they tried to look after him  only for him to then turn round and say he is off. That said, Billings isn't innocent in that respect given that he has now admitted that playing cricket 11 months of the year was too much. The two parties that suffered from that were Kent and Ollie Robinson albeit that, as things have turned out, it might have ultimately helped the latter. 
  • Options
    Surrey 79-2. Both wickets to Garrett. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder where cohen is ? 
  • Options
    158-3. Wicket to Gilchrist. 
  • Options
    Wonder where cohen is ? 
    I suspect that he is managing his fitness - he's played one game in almost two years - and as we have 11 seamers in total he is the one that is ripe to start in the 2nd XI and prove that he can survive the rigours of four day cricket. 
  • Options
    edited March 29
    184-4

One to Parkinson
  • Options
    Wonder where cohen is ? 
    I suspect that he is managing his fitness - he's played one game in almost two years - and as we have 11 seamers in total he is the one that is ripe to start in the 2nd XI and prove that he can survive the rigours of four day cricket. 
    A very Charltonish signing... 
  • Options
    Muyeye out for 15 (26). I'm really not convinced that opening, especially in seam friendly conditions, is getting the most out of him. 

27-1 off 10 overs 
  • Options
    We finished on 214-3 with useful knocks from Compton, DBD, Leaning and Finch.

I've seen the Loughborough squad for the three day game starting on Sunday - all have played 2nd XI cricket, including Joe MacGregor, Max Luckett and Tom Hinley, who have all done so for us. It's not one that should overly stretch us but, there again, runs and wickets are probably the order of the day right now. 
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Kent 159-3 against Loughborough. The openers struggled once again with Muyeye out for a duck and Compton making 11. Leaning made 24 but DBD continues in decent form (74*) and Joe Denly (27*) makes his debut for the season.  
  • Options
    With the release of the 2024 fixtures, it is probably time to start a new thread. These are the main points to come from these:

• Kent Men will welcome Somerset to The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence on the opening day of the 2024 County Championship season
    • Six of Kent Spitfires’ seven home Vitality Blast group matches in 2024 take place on Friday evenings or at weekends
    • Kent Spitfires’ home T20 match with Essex will fall on ECB’s ‘Rivals Week’, the Surrey home fixture will be on ‘Friday Finale’ and there will be a T20 double header again in 2024 with the South East Stars
    • The 172nd Canterbury Cricket Week will take place from Friday 21 – Wednesday 26 June
    • Over 1,800 tickets have already been sold for the England Women vs. New Zealand International T20 at The Spitfire Ground on 11 July
    • Half of Kent Spitfires’ home Metro Bank One Day Cup group matches will take place at The County Ground, Beckenham – with nine days of cricket scheduled for Beckenham so far
    • All domestic Men’s finals will take place in September in 2024
    • Kent Men’s final match of the season will take place away at Durham from 26 September
    • No First Team matches, once again, at The Nevil
    Full details here:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-men-2024-schedule-announced/
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixtures-and-results/?team-category=mens-first-team&competition-category=county-championship&venue-category=
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixtures-and-results/?team-category=mens-first-team&competition-category=vitality-blast&venue-category=
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixtures-and-results/?team-category=mens-first-team&competition-category=one-day-cup&venue-category=
    Who are FCC select eleven, they play West Indies in July at Beckenham
  • Options
    Ton up for DBD. Retires on exactly 100 off 101 balls. Denly 66* (93)

247-4