Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    Just how much money are Middlesex saving by having this home game played at Chelmsford ?
    Impossible to tell without knowing what it was costing Middlesex to play their matches at Lord's. I wouldn't imagine that they received any of the bar profits at Lord's so if they can keep all the gate receipts for playing at Chelmsford and Essex take all the bar takings then there has to be a saving. 

They couldn't play the game at Lord's, so this is instead of using an outground. 

I'm not sure why they couldn't play tonight at Lord's though, as I don't see any other fixtures on.
    believe it was purely financial decision
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Just how much money are Middlesex saving by having this home game played at Chelmsford ?
    Impossible to tell without knowing what it was costing Middlesex to play their matches at Lord's. I wouldn't imagine that they received any of the bar profits at Lord's so if they can keep all the gate receipts for playing at Chelmsford and Essex take all the bar takings then there has to be a saving. 

They couldn't play the game at Lord's, so this is instead of using an outground. 

I'm not sure why they couldn't play tonight at Lord's though, as I don't see any other fixtures on.
    believe it was purely financial decision
    A financial decision over playing at an outground like Radlett, not a choice to not play at Lord's. They'd have got 15-20000 at Lord's
  • edited May 31

Reading between the lines it sounds like Middlesex want to play all their "big" games (whatever that means)  at Lord's and the rest at an alternative ground that they actually own. 

"First are foremost, the Club is not in a financial position currently where it can even consider this as an option, secondly, we have no site to consider moving to, and thirdly, if we did have, bringing this to fruition would be many years away and we would still hope to play as much cricket as possible at Lord’s.

“As little as three years ago the Club advised members that it was looking at alternative sites which might prove suitable for a home venue – with advanced investigation into Barnet Copthall as a suitable site ultimately not leading to a successful outcome.

“So, in short, right now, and in the immediate future, we are considering a move from Lord’s no more intensely than we were back then, although we remain committed to reviewing all options to ensure the Club thrives in the future.

“Whatever happens in the future, we will of course keep members and stakeholders fully informed of potential options and will actively seek their views, but rest assured, we aren’t going anywhere any time soon, and we look forward to our partnership with Marylebone Cricket Club continuing to thrive moving forwards.”

• Middlesex do need a proper "second" ground, as much for a training base as anything. When Lord's is taken for internationals (or the 100), they have to use Merchant Taylor's school.

• Still no Wes ?

Anyone know whether tonight's game is likely to go ahead ? 

Has hardly stopped raining here in E Sussex since early morning.
  • Electric start by Crawley and DBD been tamed somewhat after a few wickets. 101/3 off 11
  • Great to have Billings available again 
  • Spin for the win it seems. Muyeye gone. 127/4. Holman 3/12 off 3
  • His last over goes for 15 though
  • 158/6 3.2 left
  • Sponsored links:

• 175/7 nice cameo from o'riordon
  • Finished 205/8 Denly with a half century 
  • Middlesex 49/3 after the powerplay
  • Think we might win this... 
    85/6 off 11.1 and the rain is rolling in
  • 85/7 off 11.2
  • Hatrick ball for Parkinson
  • 85/8 Parkinson 4-12
  • Think about the NRR let's bowl them out! 
  • 98/9 another for O'Riordan
  • Sponsored links:

• Will he get his 5fer
  • Middlesex won 3/14 last season in The Blast. This side is worse than that one. 

• Bartlett brought back to finish them off with his first wicket - 107ao.
    Brilliant start to the white ball season for Kent
  • Good result for the boys 
  • Gotta win the games you are expected to win 
  • Been told the crowd was around 400 people
  • Great result. Middlesex are a poor team, but that's a very comprehensive win.

MrOneLung said:
    Been told the crowd was around 400 people

That's embarrassing, but totally predictable, especially when you have a weak team as well.
  • Great stuff, Kent & well stuffed, Middx. 

A real team performance with everyone ( well, nearly) playing their part.

Some criticism on here last week for O'Riordan but certainly did his bit tonight. 

Might try to persuade Mr F to take me out for the day on Sunday..... :)  
  • Enjoyed that