Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Had Billings made his decision earlier, to quit red ball cricket, then maybe Robinson or Cox, perhaps both, would still be with us.
  • LordDofB said:
    Had Billings made his decision earlier, to quit red ball cricket, then maybe Robinson or Cox, perhaps both, would still be with us.
    At least one of them would have still been here, if not both. 
  • https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/we-re-just-holding-our-breath-a-little-bit-307374/

Fred Klaassen is the latest injured bowler, meaning he'll miss the World Cup and much/most/all of the Blast.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing Fanny bowl this season, though if she's any good no doubt she'll soon be poached by Surrey.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing Fanny bowl this season, though if she's any good no doubt she'll soon be poached by Surrey.
    Already on our books.
    Already on our books.
    Never!

Fanny's got standards ...
  • Alec Stewart has already offered to buy Fanny a London apartment in an attempt to get her to sign for Surrey.

Allegedly.....
    " Many a true word spoken in jest..."

Sadly, a shoulder injury has sidelined my bowling this season. 

But in my early years, using a metal shovel (bat) in front of the kitchen wall with chalked on wicket, I'd face my Dad, charging down the garden ( pretending to stumble mid bowl  :D) I'd close my eyes & hope for the best ....

...resulting in SO many balls( tennis) going for 6 & irretrievable as our council house was just 4  away from the ultra busy A2 in  Dartford .

Sometimes, a brilliant shot would fail to make it to the boundary ( next door's patch) as our dachshund, Fritz would intercept it en route and run off to chew to his heart's content. " New ball, please !"  

However, a broken window above " the wicket " finally put paid to my ambition to represent my favourite county ( albeit it meant waiting circa 60 more years for women's cricket to take off) as sessions were permanently abandoned. 

And so, with a heavy heart, my beloved Kent will have to soldier on without Fanny :'( 

As for Surrey.......

Best leave it there ! 
  • 2 days to go before Kent visit Chelmsford to play Essex Middlesex in the Blast.

It'll be fascinating to see how that goes commercially for Middlesex. Will their fans travel to Chelmsford, will the locals go and watch 2 "away" teams?
  • Sponsored links:

• Surrey have declared their 14 man squad for their opening T20 match. They have three Aussies in the shape of Worrall (yes I know he has a British Passport), Abbott and Johnson. That isn't the surprise though - Sibley and Burns are in the squad. That's the two carrying the drinks and 12th man sorted!
  • A very strong 2s team thrashed Essex yesterday including Crawley (83 off 36), Muyeye, DBD, Evison, Swanepoel, Finch, Qadri and O'Riordan. The concern is that we only played two seamers, in addition to Swanepoel and Evison in the shape of Jas and a trialist by the name of Adam Sylvester (took 5 wickets in his last T20 for our 2s but isn't contracted). So none of the other ten front line seamers we signed under contract which begs the question as to whether the likes of Agar, Bartlett and Stobo are actually available (albeit that only one can play in addition to Swanepoel) to play tomorrow. 
  • Surrey have declared their 14 man squad for their opening T20 match. They have three Aussies in the shape of Worrall (yes I know he has a British Passport), Abbott and Johnson. That isn't the surprise though - Sibley and Burns are in the squad. That's the two carrying the drinks and 12th man sorted!
    Trouble is so many of our batsmen and allrounders are missing we don't really have a choice. I suspect one of them will play. 

In Jacks and Sam Curran we are missing 2 of our usual top 3. Overton usually bats 6 or even 5 but hes out for the season with a stress fracture. We've gone with overseas seamers which is fine but we are lacking spinners and batsmen this year for sure.

Cam Steel isn't a great T20 bowler but with Jacks with England, no Narine this year and having pushed Moriarty out the door we don't have another option.

Worral has only really been on the fringes in previous blast competitions.
    Trouble is so many of our batsmen and allrounders are missing we don't really have a choice. I suspect one of them will play. 

In Jacks and Sam Curran we are missing 2 of our usual top 3. Overton usually bats 6 or even 5 but hes out for the season with a stress fracture. We've gone with overseas seamers which is fine but we are lacking spinners and batsmen this year for sure.

Cam Steel isn't a great T20 bowler but with Jacks with England, no Narine this year and having pushed Moriarty out the door we don't have another option.

:'(

I'm filling up ! 

:'(

I'm filling up ! 
    wasnt looking for sympathy was simply explaining why the likes of Burns, Sibley, Steel and Worrall are in the squad when they normally wouldn't be.
  • Burns isn't a bad white ball player anyway, it's only the new generation of T20 players which make him look slow.

As for Sibley, maybe he's been working on ramps and scoops to go with his nurdles  :D
  • Burns isn't a bad white ball player anyway, it's only the new generation of T20 players which make him look slow.

As for Sibley, maybe he's been working on ramps and scoops to go with his nurdles  :D
    He can just about manage in the 50 over but is truly awful in T20 eats up balls trying big shots he cant pull off before looping one straight at a fielder. Patel, Geddes and Blake are better T20 players than both but not in the squad for some reason. 
  • Xavier Bartlett has arrived and might make his debut but no squad has been announced as yet. 
  • edited May 30
    Surrey have declared their 14 man squad for their opening T20 match. They have three Aussies in the shape of Worrall (yes I know he has a British Passport), Abbott and Johnson. That isn't the surprise though - Sibley and Burns are in the squad. That's the two carrying the drinks and 12th man sorted!

Neither played and Roy didn't open either. Lawrence and Evans did. And incredibly, because I can't recall seeing it too many times before in a T20 professional game before, both sides played just one spinner. 
  • Some low scoring games in the blast this evening. Durham all out for 75. Worcs all out for 101
  • Sponsored links:

Neither played and Roy didn't open either. Lawrence and Evans did. And incredibly, because I can't recall seeing it too many times before in a T20 professional game before, both sides played just one spinner. 
    Only because Jordan Clark played as a batsman ahead of them both (thank god!)

I think you can hardly call Lawrence a spinner.

Lawrence certainly fancies himself as a spinner. One of the reasons he gave for leaving Essex was Simon Harmer preventing him bowling more

Probably not in red ball and not as a number one spinner in white ball but he does a job. He's taken 43 T20 wickets at 20.60 and an E/R of 7.91 which is more wickets at a better average and strike rate than Moriarty who you were bemoaning losing so much. Perhaps, instead of signing every seamer that breathes, you could have picked up a spinner as you really do not need all of Atkinson, Worrall, Clark, Curran (T), Clark, Abbott, Johnson, McKerr, Dunn, Lawes, Taylor and Barnwell. That's not even including Curran (S), Overton, Jordan and Topley. That's 16 seamers - you can afford to have 10 of them out and still field half a dozen but can't even find one front line spinner!!!  

• Anyway 
    Surrey win
    Night all

Probably not in red ball and not as a number one spinner in white ball but he does a job. He's taken 43 T20 wickets at 20.60 and an E/R of 7.91 which is more wickets at a better average and strike rate than Moriarty who you were bemoaning losing so much. Perhaps, instead of signing every seamer that breathes, you could have picked up a spinner as you really do not need all of Atkinson, Worrall, Clark, Curran (T), Clark, Abbott, Johnson, McKerr, Dunn, Lawes, Taylor and Barnwell. That's not even including Curran (S), Overton, Jordan and Topley. That's 16 seamers - you can afford to have 10 of them out and still field half a dozen but can't even find one front line spinner!!!  

Clark is only one person, Lawes is injured (I believe this was a factor in signing Johnson) McKerr and Dunn are 2s bowlers at best really. Will do a job in the metro bank and thats it. Taylor and Barnwell are below even them in the pecking order. 

I agree we are (too) well stacked with seamers and lack spinners. It's a point I've been making for 3 years. There is no doubt Moriartybis a much better bowler than Lawrence. Moriarty with Jacks and Lawrence amongst the batters would suit me just fine.
  • Just how much money are Middlesex saving by having this home game played at Chelmsford ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just how much money are Middlesex saving by having this home game played at Chelmsford ?
    They've said that setting up an outground for this game by itself, and one in July, would be too expensive. But that depends on decent numbers turning up, which I doubt will happen.

Ironically, their next game is Essex away...at Chelmsford.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just how much money are Middlesex saving by having this home game played at Chelmsford ?
    Impossible to tell without knowing what it was costing Middlesex to play their matches at Lord's. I wouldn't imagine that they received any of the bar profits at Lord's so if they can keep all the gate receipts for playing at Chelmsford and Essex take all the bar takings then there has to be a saving. 

• MrOneLung said:
    Impossible to tell without knowing what it was costing Middlesex to play their matches at Lord's. I wouldn't imagine that they received any of the bar profits at Lord's so if they can keep all the gate receipts for playing at Chelmsford and Essex take all the bar takings then there has to be a saving. 

They couldn't play the game at Lord's, so this is instead of using an outground. 

I'm not sure why they couldn't play tonight at Lord's though, as I don't see any other fixtures on.