Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - over 30 goals possible this season ???

I met Alfie in players lounge post match on Saturday - lovely bloke - we chatted, and he mentioned that he has eclipsed his target for goals during first half of season - I think his target was 9 from memory, so 19 already is a superb achievement 

I said ‘surely your full season target must be over 30 now ?’ and he agreed

If I am right, if he does it, he will be the first CAFC player to score over 30 goals in a season since a certain Mr D Hales in 75/76 season with 31 goals - so it’s 47 years since we had an over 30 goal a season player !!!!

Let’s hope Alfie stays fit and gets over 30 goals

Comments

• Options
    29 goals, last game of the season, 93rd minute and up steps Alfie...... straight down the middle and the keeper saves it
  • Options
    29 goals, last game of the season, 93rd minute and up steps Alfie...... straight down the middle and the keeper saves it
    Boooo
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Boooo
    Relax...🍺 still another 10 minutes of injury time...👍
  • Options
    The highlight of a so far unforgettable season.
    you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Let’s hope he is still wearing a Charlton shirt after the transfer window. I wouldn’t put anything past our owners. 
    What nonsense 
    Why is that nonsense ? He will be in demand 
  • Options
    There’s nothing about May I don’t like. As others have said he’s just out the only shining light in a forgettable season. His attitude is a great example to the rest of the players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There’s nothing about May I don’t like. As others have said he’s just out the only shining light in a forgettable season. His attitude is a great example to the rest of the players. 
    Clearly he is a great finisher, shoots early ,sometimes with his first touch. He will exceed  30 goals this season , even with this dysfunctional team if he stays fit, a major achievement.And his passing in building attacks is also a positive. However to say there's nothing to dislike, as a striker I would n't say I dislike but his shortcomings are exactly the issue with the team as a whole. He can't offer anything to help out defensively which  Stockley and Lyle Taylor to name 2 recent CF's( defensive headers) and in Lyles case hold up play higher up the pitch. Yes he runs around- pleasing to the eye - but so far it has contributed nil to the team. Not one interception. I hope that changes and his effort is rewarded.

Th issue with the whole team which he contributes to is a lack of defensive nous, tackling, harassing on all areas of the pitch. The problems caused by Ronaldo in his last Man Utd stint- not tracking back etc -thats one player. We have CBT/Fraser/Tyreece plus May who to different degrees either are unwilling (CBT) or unable (wrong skill set/physically not up to it) to put in a defensive shift.

So let's celebrate Alfie topping the table for a golden boot, if we can get better players in the other positions maybe we can carry him.( Just like JRS- who cost us goals but scored more)

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Imagine scoring 30 goals in a season and your team finishes 10th. What a waste.
    Could only happen at the beigest club in town 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Clearly he is a great finisher, shoots early ,sometimes with his first touch. He will exceed  30 goals this season , even with this dysfunctional team if he stays fit, a major achievement.And his passing in building attacks is also a positive. However to say there's nothing to dislike, as a striker I would n't say I dislike but his shortcomings are exactly the issue with the team as a whole. He can't offer anything to help out defensively which  Stockley and Lyle Taylor to name 2 recent CF's( defensive headers) and in Lyles case hold up play higher up the pitch. Yes he runs around- pleasing to the eye - but so far it has contributed nil to the team. Not one interception. I hope that changes and his effort is rewarded.

Th issue with the whole team which he contributes to is a lack of defensive nous, tackling, harassing on all areas of the pitch. The problems caused by Ronaldo in his last Man Utd stint- not tracking back etc -thats one player. We have CBT/Fraser/Tyreece plus May who to different degrees either are unwilling (CBT) or unable (wrong skill set/physically not up to it) to put in a defensive shift.

So let's celebrate Alfie topping the table for a golden boot, if we can get better players in the other positions maybe we can carry him.( Just like JRS- who cost us goals but scored more)

'.....has contributed nil to the team.....'!!!!????!!!!

Behave. We'd be relegation fodder without him this season.
  • Options
    Let’s hope he is still wearing a Charlton shirt after the transfer window. I wouldn’t put anything past our owners. 
    What nonsense 
    So you don’t think the owners will be tempted by a big offer in January? May has scored 19 goals in what we will all agree is a mid table team. I have lost all faith in the leadership/ownership of the club since and including the spivs and have no faith they won’t royally screw the fans over if it means a significant cost saving. Unless we invest heavily in January the play offs are a pipe dream this season. 

There will be teams looking on enviously and I would personally be surprised if there isn’t a bid. It’s exactly what we want our owners to be doing looking to improve the squad with better players. 

I hope it is ‘nonsense’ but we have form for selling our best players in January albeit some were out of contract in the summer or refused to play. I also feel/ hope  May has some loyalty which is sadly lacking in a lot of modern day footballers. 

Personally I will breathe a high sigh of relief if he is the line up on 3rd Feb against Derby. 

• Options
    edited December 2023
    We have a guy that may score 30 goals this season and I read posts about his defensive short comings.

goal scorers are paid to score goals. If was a good defender, he would be playing at right back.
    100%. If he was tall I’d certainly expect him to help out defending set pieces like Stockley did. But I don’t want him in the penalty box at corners. I’d rather keep him and CBT further forward, which would occupy at least three of their players. We should pose more of a breakaway threat from opposition corners than we currently do. 
    And actually Alfie does do a decent press compared to the other forward players. He may not have made any interceptions, but that’s not through lack of effort. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Surely has to be satire

"Carrying" the league's top scorer... Glorious!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Yeah.  And he's rubbish at saving penalties too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What nonsense 
    So you don’t think the owners will be tempted by a big offer in January? May has scored 19 goals in what we will all agree is a mid table team. I have lost all faith in the leadership/ownership of the club since and including the spivs and have no faith they won’t royally screw the fans over if it means a significant cost saving. Unless we invest heavily in January the play offs are a pipe dream this season. 

There will be teams looking on enviously and I would personally be surprised if there isn’t a bid. It’s exactly what we want our owners to be doing looking to improve the squad with better players. 

I hope it is ‘nonsense’ but we have form for selling our best players in January albeit some were out of contract in the summer or refused to play. I also feel/ hope  May has some loyalty which is sadly lacking in a lot of modern day footballers. 

Personally I will breathe a high sigh of relief if he is the line up on 3rd Feb against Derby. 

This is a bit paranoid. The owners have spent fees on players in the summer and the manager is saying we're going to be signing more than a handful of players in Jan. Clearly they're not asset strippers or desperate to sell players. The idea they'd sell our top scorer, 6-months into his contract, is a bit mad. Yeah every player has their price, but what club is going to shell out millions for a 30-year-old who's untried above this level. And there's not a club at L1 who has millions to spend, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    What nonsense 

I can’t see many clubs being willing to make a big offer for a player of his age who hasn’t played in the Championship before.

That’s limited even further when you exclude teams playing 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 which he doesn’t suit.

While it can’t be ruled out he’s not a young player with huge potential, he’s a player at his peak who could be seen as expensive for someone who might not step up to the second tier.
  • Options
    We have a guy that may score 30 goals this season and I read posts about his defensive short comings.

goal scorers are paid to score goals. If was a good defender, he would be playing at right back.

maybe we should criticise our keepers for lack of assists rather than lack of clean sheets.
    What’s a clean sheet? 😂
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

100%. If he was tall I’d certainly expect him to help out defending set pieces like Stockley did. But I don’t want him in the penalty box at corners. I’d rather keep him and CBT further forward, which would occupy at least three of their players. We should pose more of a breakaway threat from opposition corners than we currently do. 
    And actually Alfie does do a decent press compared to the other forward players. He may not have made any interceptions, but that’s not through lack of effort. 
    I get so wound up with us bringing everyone back for corners!

two from cbt, Campbell and May when on the pitch should be left on the half way line. We clear it and the ball comes straight back.

i remember one of the kids first training sessions at u-8 level. They were told to clear the ball
    onto the channels for the team mate to chase, otherwise it comes straight back
  • Options
    Here is a short comparison of his record so far in comparison with our great goal scorers of the past:

https://www.castrust.org/2023/12/the-darling-buds-of-may/
  • Options
    If Alfie May stays fit, he's odds on to break the 30-goal barrier in the last 27 league games, although if the club sell CBT in January, he'll lose an important supply line.

Apart from his goals, Alfie works like a Trojan in trying to galvanise the team and brings great energy to an otherwise uninspiring side. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

maybe we should criticise our keepers for lack of assists rather than lack of clean sheets.
    What’s a clean sheet? 😂
    What I put on my bed every week 😃
  • Options
    Some club that puts in a high enough bid for him, the owners wouldn’t think twice.
  • Options
    What nonsense 

No I don't.