Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - over 30 goals possible this season ???

13»

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Has he even had a shot inside the box in those 4 matches? He had one long ranger last night but I can't remember when we last had him in a dangerous position. It's madness 
    He’s been in a lot more dangerous positions than you think.

1 shot inside the box against Bristol Rovers

3 shots inside the box against Orient

1 shot inside the box against Burton

5 shots inside the box against Barnsley

10 shots from inside the penalty area in total: 6 have been blocked, he’s missed the target three times and forced the keeper into a save once.
    Fair enough. Thanks Callum, can always rely on you to bring the stats!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Has he even had a shot inside the box in those 4 matches? He had one long ranger last night but I can't remember when we last had him in a dangerous position. It's madness 

10 shots from inside the penalty area in total: 6 have been blocked, he’s missed the target three times and forced the keeper into a save once.
    He’s scored 2 goals from open play from the right though, and only 2 playing as a striker on his own. 

If you look at his xG each game this season, it’s nearly always way higher in games that he plays in the 10/second striker. 

Part of that is due to us being a better team when we had that set up with Aneke/Leaburn ahead of him. But he is either getting fewer chances, or fewer good chances when playing as a RW or as a striker on his own. Why on earth did Appleton stop playing him as the 10 when it was working well? 

It is unexplainable, we were doing well with Watson in midfield (Appleton hasn’t won a game without him there!) and May in the 10, why change it? And then when you do change it and it doesn’t work, why not return to it? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Croydon said:

He’s scored 2 goals from open play from the right though, and only 2 playing as a striker on his own. 

If you look at his xG each game this season, it’s nearly always way higher in games that he plays in the 10/second striker. 

Part of that is due to us being a better team when we had that set up with Aneke/Leaburn ahead of him. But he is either getting fewer chances, or fewer good chances when playing as a RW or as a striker on his own. Why on earth did Appleton stop playing him as the 10 when it was working well? 

It is unexplainable, we were doing well with Watson in midfield (Appleton hasn’t won a game without him there!) and May in the 10, why change it? And then when you do change it and it doesn’t work, why not return to it? 
    Thank you
    Stats are stats
    1 shot on target from 10 is not a glowing stat for May playing wide 
    Even more bizarre Apples not winning a game without Louie Watson yet dropping him

• Options
    edited December 2023
    “May plays wide and I can’t remember when he last had a shot!”

*shows stat where he had 10 shots in last four games*

“Not like that!”

You all don’t like him playing on the right wing. We get it.

(PS I’m not even arguing for it, I’m just tired of the repetitiveness of it all.)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    “May plays wide and I can’t remember when he last had a shot!”

*shows stat where he had 10 shots in last four games*

“Not like that!”

You all don’t like him playing on the right wing. We get it.

(PS I’m not even arguing for it, I’m just tired of the repetitiveness of it all.)
    He's a goalscorer- he'll always try and shoot but him having ONLY ONE shot on target of those TEN shows it's not working!

How many shots on target has he had for the games prior Calllum?

And tired of the repetitiveness because it isn't what you want it to be?  It's funny how when things don't go their way that people become "tired"

Tired of crap results
    Tired of shit transfer windows
    Tired of managers fixated with a specific formation despite a lack of players to play it
    Tired of playing our best goslscorer in completely the wrong position

I'm knackered of it all if I'm being honest!

• Options
    Croydon said:

How does that compare to the four league games before when he presumably was scoring?
  • Options
    Has there been any word on his situation? Will he be available for Saturday?
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Scoham said:
    Croydon said:

How does that compare to the four league games before when he presumably was scoring?
    Over the previous four league games he scored four goals.

2 shots inside the box against Cambridge

4 shots inside the box against Cheltenham (including two penalties)

2 shots inside the box against Carlisle

4 shots inside the box against Portsmouth

10 non-penalty shots in total: 2 non-penalty goals. Of the other eight shots: 3 were saved, 2 missed the target and 3 were blocked by defenders.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Croydon said:

Over the previous four league games he scored four goals.

2 shots inside the box against Cambridge

4 shots inside the box against Cheltenham (including two penalties)

2 shots inside the box against Carlisle

4 shots inside the box against Portsmouth

10 non-penalty shots in total: 2 non-penalty goals. Of the other eight shots: 3 were saved, 2 missed the target and 3 were blocked by defenders.
    Just imagine how many he would have scored if he wasn’t played out on the wing . 
  • Options
    1 goal in 9 games for Alfie , poor fucker has been given the Charlton kiss of death by this thread 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1 goal in 9 games for Alfie , poor fucker has been given the Charlton kiss of death by this thread 
    It's not just him though. Some have been so Charltonised that they've left the Club in a state of trauma - the whole of the rest of the current squad have managed just 2 goals between them in the last 14 games!!!
  • Options
    Alfie will be setting himself a target- at least 1 per game to the end of the season...... 30 still may be possible if one of the oposition collapses
  • Options
    If he and the rest of the team pick up where they left off on Saturday then he will get a hat trick tonight. No disrespect to Wigan, I don’t think it makes a difference who the opposition is if the striker is in that confidence zone where they are going to have a pop whenever they can and from whichever angle and distance.
  • Options
    Alfie will be setting himself a target- at least 1 per game to the end of the season...... 30 still may be possible if one of the oposition collapses
    He's on 27 for the season atm is he not?
    23 league, 2 in the FA Cup and 2 in EFL Trophy.

He's back on form so 3 in the last 4 should be do-able.
  • Options
    The next three weeks will be crucial.
  • Options
    5 in 4 games is a tall order at any time especially now the team realistically has nothing to play for
    AM will be busting a gut to score of course but he always gives his best for the team first, self second
    Much as we'd like him to rack up loads this month, the more he gets the harder he'll be to retain over the summer
    30 years old and scoring goals for fun he'll attract much attention from wealthier clubs than ours
    I'm not advocating he should be sold but money always talks - to club and player alike - and Charlton have to be mindful of PSR else we're looking down the barrel of point deductions next season
    A quiet few games with few if any goals might serve CAFC better
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    5 in 4 games is a tall order at any time especially now the team realistically has nothing to play for
    AM will be busting a gut to score of course but he always gives his best for the team first, self second
    Much as we'd like him to rack up loads this month, the more he gets the harder he'll be to retain over the summer
    30 years old and scoring goals for fun he'll attract much attention from wealthier clubs than ours
    I'm not advocating he should be sold but money always talks - to club and player alike - and Charlton have to be mindful of PSR else we're looking down the barrel of point deductions next season
    I disagree. He is 30 and never played above this level before. I think clubs will be put off by his age and they would rather take a punt on a youngster with a really value. 

Why are we looking down the barrel of a points deduction?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Where is this coming from ? 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    I disagree. He is 30 and never played above this level before. I think clubs will be put off by his age and they would rather take a punt on a youngster with a really value. 

Why are we looking down the barrel of a points deduction?
    Without knowing the cash outgoings- just look at the profusion of signings in the Jan window- most have hardly seen the light of day. Its a mini Nottingham Forest scenario.