Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - over 30 goals possible this season ???

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    He will definitely be on a few teams radar hopefully we can hold on to him one of the best signings we have done in a long time 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    He will definitely be on a few teams radar hopefully we can hold on to him one of the best signings we have done in a long time 
    I can’t see us selling him in January, even for Charlton that would be beyond the pale. If we finish this season abjectly mid table then he himself might want to play somewhere more competitive.   
  • Options
    Alfie May left Cheltenham to be close to his family. Based on that, I doubt he will want to move away and leave them again!
  • Options
    Alfie May left Cheltenham to be close to his family. Based on that, I doubt he will want to move away and leave them again!
    Except for the spanners who will be fighting relegation.
  • Options
    Triple his salary?
  • Options
    I met Alfie in players lounge post match on Saturday - lovely bloke - we chatted, and he mentioned that he has eclipsed his target for goals during first half of season - I think his target was 9 from memory, so 19 already is a superb achievement 

I said ‘surely your full season target must be over 30 now ?’ and he agreed

If I am right, if he does it, he will be the first CAFC player to score over 30 goals in a season since a certain Mr D Hales in 75/76 season with 31 goals - so it’s 47 years since we had an over 30 goal a season player !!!!

Let’s hope Alfie stays fit and gets over 30 goals
    Think he's got be massively underplaying that.

Given that he scored 26 & 22 in the last 2 years for Cheltenham i think if he'd come here and only got 9 goals by christmas then most of our fan base and probably Alfie himself would all be pretty disappointed.
  • Options
    I met Alfie in players lounge post match on Saturday - lovely bloke - we chatted, and he mentioned that he has eclipsed his target for goals during first half of season - I think his target was 9 from memory, so 19 already is a superb achievement 

I said ‘surely your full season target must be over 30 now ?’ and he agreed

If I am right, if he does it, he will be the first CAFC player to score over 30 goals in a season since a certain Mr D Hales in 75/76 season with 31 goals - so it’s 47 years since we had an over 30 goal a season player !!!!

Let’s hope Alfie stays fit and gets over 30 goals
    Think he's got be massively underplaying that.

Given that he scored 26 & 22 in the last 2 years for Cheltenham i think if he'd come here and only got 9 goals by christmas then most of our fan base and probably Alfie himself would all be pretty disappointed.
    Agreed - when he said that, I was a bit perplexed - BUT he is obviously over the moon to be at 19 goals already - whatever his true target, pre Xmas, was, he has smashed it already 😃
  • Options
    Triple his salary?
    If the right team comes in for him offering the right money he will be gone sadly 
  • Options
    Triple his salary?
    He had already done that once this year! 

What resale value will a 30 year old have? How much will a 30 year old improve? If lower level championship clubs are after a goal scorer, i think the Wimbledon guy aged 20 with a potential resale value will be more of an attractive proposition. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Triple his salary?
    If the right team comes in for him offering the right money he will be gone sadly 
    I agree, but I think a lot of clubs will be put off as he is not a proven goalscorer in the championship, and has little resell value, I agree that the fella at Wimbledon would be worth more of a punt on, perhaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May wont he going anywhere.....either in January or in the summer.

Sadly I also feel that all this hype will scupper his chances of getting close up 30 goals this season. He is bound to have a barren spell and knowing our injury luck he's bound to pick up some injury or another & miss a handful (or more) games.

I remember Killer's great season as we used to get the Daily Express & remember following the "race" to 30 goals avidly. Iirc Killer shaved off his beard for the final couple of games (no idea why) and that put paid to that. 
  • Options
    How many’s he on , I think he’s gonna struggle to get to 30 goals if stuck out wide for the rest of it with this dross team as help 
  • Options
    Yeah. I’m willing to give Appleton more time, even though I wasn’t in favour of his appointment, but the fact he has repeatedly picked strikers wide right so he can pick a winger at No. 10 (first it was Tedic, then it was Leaburn with Tyreece central, and now May with Chem central) really makes me question his tactical thinking. It’s particularly mad with May when he has been doing so well as a No. 10. 
  • Options
    May wont he going anywhere.....either in January or in the summer.

Sadly I also feel that all this hype will scupper his chances of getting close up 30 goals this season. He is bound to have a barren spell and knowing our injury luck he's bound to pick up some injury or another & miss a handful (or more) games.

I remember Killer's great season as we used to get the Daily Express & remember following the "race" to 30 goals avidly. Iirc Killer shaved off his beard for the final couple of games (no idea why) and that put paid to that. 
    Since all this hullabaloo started 2 weeks a go he's not scored. would have been better to have kept quiet and gone under the radar..............or not played him out on the wing !
  • Options
    Nice piece in the i this morning on Alfie.

Interesting last paragraph about how well he'd do in Haaland's team. 
    Wantaway striker issues come and get me Pep plea
     ;) 
  • Options
    Maybe play him up front and he'll score more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When will he score again ?

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There’s nothing about May I don’t like. As others have said he’s just out the only shining light in a forgettable season. His attitude is a great example to the rest of the players. 
    Clearly he is a great finisher, shoots early ,sometimes with his first touch. He will exceed  30 goals this season , even with this dysfunctional team if he stays fit, a major achievement.And his passing in building attacks is also a positive. However to say there's nothing to dislike, as a striker I would n't say I dislike but his shortcomings are exactly the issue with the team as a whole. He can't offer anything to help out defensively which  Stockley and Lyle Taylor to name 2 recent CF's( defensive headers) and in Lyles case hold up play higher up the pitch. Yes he runs around- pleasing to the eye - but so far it has contributed nil to the team. Not one interception. I hope that changes and his effort is rewarded.

Th issue with the whole team which he contributes to is a lack of defensive nous, tackling, harassing on all areas of the pitch. The problems caused by Ronaldo in his last Man Utd stint- not tracking back etc -thats one player. We have CBT/Fraser/Tyreece plus May who to different degrees either are unwilling (CBT) or unable (wrong skill set/physically not up to it) to put in a defensive shift.

So let's celebrate Alfie topping the table for a golden boot, if we can get better players in the other positions maybe we can carry him.( Just like JRS- who cost us goals but scored more)

'.....has contributed nil to the team.....'!!!!????!!!!

Behave. We'd be relegation fodder without him this season.
    Either you haven't read what I have written, taken a brief section out of context or you have misunderstood it.  Yes we would be( still maybe) relegation fodder without his goals. But for all his chasing around -so far- this has not resulted in anything tangible ie an interception or a tackle.I hope this changes. Also previous strikers have helped out the defence, particularly with headers at free kicks and corners.He is too small. And sadly his goals have dried up.I hope that changes at Bristol too. 
  • Options
    Not enough goals from midfield or defence. No one who can score from a dead ball situation just outside the box.
  • Options
    When will he score again ?

He’s gone off the boil with the rest of them , stuck out wide and playing with some genuinely appalling footballers 
    think it’s 4 games now without a goal .
    if fit still first name on the team sheet ,
    feel sorry for him 
  • Options
    May needs to have a bigger guy up front and he needs to feed off them.  With Chuks and Miles being injured we have no other option. Tedic is as much good as tits on a fish.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    May needs to have a bigger guy up front and he needs to feed off them.  With Chuks and Miles being injured we have no other option. Tedic is as much good as tits on a fish.
    He does, but if we do get one will the manager actually play them in that way? 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Croydon said:
    Has he even had a shot inside the box in those 4 matches? He had one long ranger last night but I can't remember when we last had him in a dangerous position. It's madness 
    He’s been in a lot more dangerous positions than you think.

1 shot inside the box against Bristol Rovers

3 shots inside the box against Orient

1 shot inside the box against Burton

5 shots inside the box against Barnsley

10 shots from inside the penalty area in total: 6 have been blocked, he’s missed the target three times and forced the keeper into a save once.