Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hardest player seen at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Jeez .. old age, I had forgotten about the other connotation of the word. I was thinking of the kind of player we might 'boo', but would not mind having in the team.
  • Options
    Koc
  • Options
    Terry nayler 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Derek Hales never took a backward step no matter how hard the defender was
    Mentioned it somewhere else on here years ago.
    He came out the Valley Club with his missis and was walking up Floyd Rd towards the station.
    His missis had her bag snatched and the thief made off towards Charlton station.
    Hales had a face like a child in a sweet shop when he came out the station with the bloke in a headlock
    A rare victory over Millwall?
  • Options
    George Curtis and Alan Dugdale (Thugdale). Jock Campbell if you go back further. He was probably the hardest Charlton player.
  • Options
    Muscat was a filthy b*stard
  • Options
    Vinnie Jones
  • Options
    Paul Went, Never a backward step. 

Dave Mackay, Derby. 

Don't know if Mark Dennis (Southampton) played at the Valley, but he listed his greatest 
    football achievement as" being stabbed by my wife"
  • Options
    It will take quite a lot to beat Duncan Ferguson imho
    The stories about the two sets of burglars trying to rob his house never fail to make me laugh.

Believe both times the thieves needed a few days in hospital after he 'restrained' them. 

Must have absolutely shat themselves realising whose house it was and that they'd been heard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Based on Charlton players he badly injured in one match without even getting a card, would have to be George Curtis. (Coventry, managed by Jimmy Hill)
    Agree. Can't remember who exactly, but was it Matt Tees he basically kicked off the pitch into the old West Stand?
  • Options
    Based on Charlton players he badly injured in one match without even getting a card, would have to be George Curtis. (Coventry, managed by Jimmy Hill)
    Agree. Can't remember who exactly, but was it Matt Tees he basically kicked off the pitch into the old West Stand?
    Loved Matt Tees.
    As skinny as a rake but as brave as they come. 
    Also the best header of a football. 
  • Options
    A lot of older fans used to mention Jock Campbell, apparently he stood out even when most footballers ate gravel and shaved with blowlamps.
    Wingers only went past him once. 
  • Options
    Mick Harford would be a contender. 
  • Options
    Loved Matt Tees.
    As skinny as a rake but as brave as they come. 
    Also the best header of a football. 
    It was Tees, I mentioned this up the page a bit
  • Options
    Ron Harris playing for Brentford (I think he eas their coach and had been registered to play in emergencies) at the Valley when he looked about 40. Eas down at the front of the Covered End and when he smiled half his teeth were missing. Martin Robinson could have skinned him but Harris psyched him out on reputation alone.
  • Options
     Nothing to do with Charlton but......a while ago in Epping Forest whilst dog walking a woman also with a dog was threatened by a man who thought his dog had been wronged . He was shouting and making a fuss 
     Suddenly another dog walker appeared " Well take me on then " ..... Karl Walker. Admirable 
  • Options
    Harry Cripps nemesis from Millwall who played a few for us.Took our school for football training and tackled like itwas a top flight league match not a bunch of Year 10s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy Whitehurst for me, absolute beast of a player. Tommy Smith and Stuart Pearce could look after themselves as well.

• Options
    Jock Campbell would signal his intent - running out at the start (compared with now little fanfare) he would stick both fingers up his nose and blow . Became a favourite routine.
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Vinnie Jones
    How many times did he play at the valley ? Did he play in the Pringle game ? That must have been it 
  • Options
    Mick Harford would be a contender. 
    Just catching up on this thread and was looking for Mick Harford although I associate him more with Selhurst era but am sure he must have played at Valley as well. 
  • Options
    Billy Whitehurst for me, absolute beast of a player. Tommy Smith and Stuart Pearce could look after themselves as well.

Tommy Smith and Stuart Pearce defo never played at The Valley 

Happy to be proved wrong 
  • Options

Happy to be proved wrong 
    Did he play against us in 94 season ? 
  • Options
     Alex Rae was a nasty Farquhar 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Happy to be proved wrong 
    I clearly remember him hitting the bar of the North goal at The Valley with a free kick, it was still wobbling a minute later. Would have been around 1993-4.
  • Options

Happy to be proved wrong 
    That'll teach me to read the title properly
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Happy to be proved wrong 
    I clearly remember him hitting the bar of the North goal at The Valley with a free kick, it was still wobbling a minute later. Would have been around 1993-4.
    Playing for who ?

We were Div 2 then - Pearce was surely still Div 1 then (in old money) 

Unless my memory is becoming very bad, I can’t recall Pearce at The Valley 

Can’t be arsed to look at ‘Home and Away’ tonight - have had too much Rioja 😉

Will look tmrw - maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m right 🤷