Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hardest player seen at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Most professionals who played in his era would say Billy Whitehurst was the genuine one not to be fucked with, strong shout for Jimmy Case too 
    Whitehurst used do a bit of bare knuckle boxing vs various gypsies, probably indicates he was not a man to upset. Addickted (RIP) bellowed something at him at Selhurst, he laughed and made a slightly rude gesture in return, think we got off lightly going by some of the stories out there.
  • Options
    Definitely George Curtis. That said, I sat at pitch side once and watched Gary Mabbutt. Never have I watched anyone tackle as hard as him. Another one was Chris Coleman. 
  • Options
    Paolo Di Canio
  • Options
    Neil Diamond
  • Options
    Matthaus Svensson. Not the best striker but he put himself about when it was needed.
  • Options
    Steve Stone never played for Charlton, and there aren't many things harder than stone. I suppose the hardest for us would be Jeff Wood.
  • Options
    Never been to the Valley I would guess, BUT he is surely a VERY tough (if not HARD) man .. 

Hardest Geezer Russ Cook runs the entire length of Africa - BBC News
  • Options
    Steve Stone never played for Charlton, and there aren't many things harder than stone. I suppose the hardest for us would be Jeff Wood.
    If only Granite Xhaka had played on our hallowed turf.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Most professionals who played in his era would say Billy Whitehurst was the genuine one not to be fucked with, strong shout for Jimmy Case too 

A hard psychopath. 
  • Options
    Alan Dugdale for me but I think a mention for Barry Kitchener who looked liked he was made in a laboratory. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Graham Roberts for tottenham.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    If only Granite Xhaka had played on our hallowed turf.
    Jack Diamond a month ago for Carlisle.
  • Options
    Julian Dicks was a horrible, dirty bastard. I thoroughly enjoyed watching John Robinson ripping him to shreds at the valley shortly before he hung up his boots.
    I remember Harry Rednap wingeing that Robinson should have shown Dicks more respect. 
  • Options
    Sam Bartram outside main entrance
  • Options
    That Brian Horton was a nasty bastard, good player, but a nasty bastard as well.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    That Brian Horton was a nasty bastard, good player, but a nasty bastard as well.
    Remember Killer mentioning Horton in an interview, said him and most of the Port Vale team in the 70s could dish it out big time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Remember Killer mentioning Horton in an interview, said him and most of the Port Vale team in the 70s could dish it out big time.
    I remember a game at The Valley in the 70s when Port Vale literally tried to kick us off the park. In terms of games I've attended, I can't recall seeing anything like it before or since. Even allowing for the more permissive approach of refs to foul and violent play back then, it was amazing that they finished the game with 11 men.
  • Options
    edited April 7
    George Curtis of Coventry put Matt Tees in the old Gable West Stand back in the sixties.

EDIT: Read the thread and Curtis mentioned more than once!!
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    seth plum said:
    I remember a game at The Valley in the 70s when Port Vale literally tried to kick us off the park. In terms of games I've attended, I can't recall seeing anything like it before or since. Even allowing for the more permissive approach of refs to foul and violent play back then, it was amazing that they finished the game with 11 men.
    Remember it well. Can still see Dennis (Burgess) is our leader shouting ' more like pigs than humans' at them.
  • Options
    Andy Todd and Chris Morgan 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 7
    Mick Harford
    scary even as a coach near the dugout.
  • Options
    Dave Hickson before he met Willie Duff.

Denis Bergkamp before he met Eddie Youds
  • Options
    It was Jock Campbell 
  • Options
    Ray Hiron, former Pompey centre forward back in the sixties. I saw Frank Haydock kick seven bells of shit out of him all match and he didn't bat an eye lid.
  • Options
    7ft Tall and made of Bronze , cant get much harder than that .

The Sporting Statues Project Sam Bartram Charlton Athletic FC The
  • Options
    He wasn't hard but he was a vicious player, Kevin Muscat. Absolute bastard of a footballer. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    He wasn't hard but he was a vicious player, Kevin Muscat. Absolute bastard of a footballer. 

I always felt that his problem was that he wasn't a footballer. Just a thug with boots on.
  • Options
    Bailey said:

I always felt that his problem was that he wasn't a footballer. Just a thug with boots on.
    Agree with this.
    He was a stopper, a reducer, but not really a football player.
  • Options
    Paul Miller was never one to shirk a challenge.
  • Options
    Did Graham Roberts ever played at the Valley...?
    Must have...
    Saw him once at White Heart lane, scared the shit out of me...