Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hardest player seen at the Valley.

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Billy Whitehurst for me, absolute beast of a player. Tommy Smith and Stuart Pearce could look after themselves as well.

Tommy Smith and Stuart Pearce defo never played at The Valley 

Happy to be proved wrong 
    Did he play against us in 94 season ? 
    I clearly remember him hitting the bar of the North goal at The Valley with a free kick, it was still wobbling a minute later. Would have been around 1993-4.
    Playing for who ?

We were Div 2 then - Pearce was surely still Div 1 then (in old money) 

Unless my memory is becoming very bad, I can’t recall Pearce at The Valley 

Can’t be arsed to look at ‘Home and Away’ tonight - have had too much Rioja 😉

Will look tmrw - maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m right 🤷
    Stuart Pearce playing at the Valley for Forest April 1994

https://youtu.be/KlMa0YGGsTA?si=G46kSDg7fflfIqmX
  • Options
    Darren Ambrose
  • Options
    Did Gary Lineker ever play at the Valley? If so: him. 

He might not be most people's first choice as hardest footballer. But you have to look at the evidence. He played over 400 top-flight games in England and Spain, across the seventies, eighties and nineties, an era when defenders would be classed by how hard and how often they kicked you. And got no protection from referees. Yet he never got booked throughout his career. 

If you're going to pick a hard XI, he's the captain. 
  • Options
    Eric Steel(e)
  • Options
    George Curtis and Alan Dugdale (Thugdale). Jock Campbell if you go back further. He was probably the hardest Charlton player.
    Alan Dugdale for sure.  His thighs were like tree trunks, anyone he hit in the tackle knew all about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Julian Dicks was a horrible, dirty bastard. I thoroughly enjoyed watching John Robinson ripping him to shreds at the valley shortly before he hung up his boots.
  • Options
    I can't recall seeing a keeper on here so might I take this opportunity to offer Jussi Jaaskelainen as a candidate. Sent off four times in his career, all with straight reds - one of which was for slapping Roger Johnson of all people!

• Options
    I can't recall seeing a keeper on here so might I take this opportunity to offer Jussi Jaaskelainen as a candidate. Sent off four times in his career, all with straight reds - one of which was for slapping Roger Johnson of all people!

He's not finished, he's only 29!
  • Options
    Julian Dicks was a horrible, dirty bastard. I thoroughly enjoyed watching John Robinson ripping him to shreds at the valley shortly before he hung up his boots.
    I seem to recall it was Danny Mills that went flying past him again and again..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Did Gary Lineker ever play at the Valley? If so: him. 

He might not be most people's first choice as hardest footballer. But you have to look at the evidence. He played over 400 top-flight games in England and Spain, across the seventies, eighties and nineties, an era when defenders would be classed by how hard and how often they kicked you. And got no protection from referees. Yet he never got booked throughout his career. 

If you're going to pick a hard XI, he's the captain. 
    He did 
  • Options
    I seem to recall it was Danny Mills that went flying past him again and again..?
    Maybe that's my memory playing tricks with me. I do remember we put 4 past them that night and our performance was right up there with the best I've ever seen.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Maybe that's my memory playing tricks with me. I do remember we put 4 past them that night and our performance was right up there with the best I've ever seen.
    It was definitely Mills - He just kept knocking the ball past him and sprinting round him - made Dicks look like a donkey. If it were Robbo, he's have turned around for another go. 
  • Options
    Thatcher or Keane
  • Options
    It was definitely Mills - He just kept knocking the ball past him and sprinting round him - made Dicks look like a donkey. If it were Robbo, he's have turned around for another go. 
    I missed this game as was on a weekend away in Blackpool with work colleagues. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Thatcher or Keane
    Thatcher wasn’t hard just a nasty bitch of s player - Martin keown was up there - I remember when he put a reducer on Graham Stuart one game and it echoed round the ground - sounded like he’d broken him in half - he got up eventually and carried on tbf but was definitely reduced for the rest of the game 
  • Options
    I was thinking about Thatcher and I’m not sure…… I think there was a nasty streak to his game when I watched him play (leaving elbows in etc). Not as bad as Muscat - but it’s the same reason I wouldn’t call Muscat hard. There is a difference between being ‘hard’ and a nasty cnut.

Despite playing for us Muscat is not really held in high regard at Millwall for this very reason. Hurlock meanwhile…
  • Options
    Another vote for Alan Dugdale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Ron Harris playing for Brentford (I think he eas their coach and had been registered to play in emergencies) at the Valley when he looked about 40. Eas down at the front of the Covered End and when he smiled half his teeth were missing. Martin Robinson could have skinned him but Harris psyched him out on reputation alone.
    That would have been the Milk Cup game Sept 1983 in the pouring rain. Francis Joseph scored very early on to put them 4-0 up on aggregate and it ended as a 4-2 loss. Chopper was 39 and later in that Milk Cup run I saw him play against Liverpool and.....he sold me the ticket for that game earlier on that day! He was looking after the ticket office while the office lady was at lunch!
  • Options
    Billy Bonds must be up there.
  • Options
    Ron Saunders has to be up there with the hardest.
  • Options
    Exactly, a thug in a Whetherspoons isn't my idea of a hardman either. Jorge Costa was the man. 

They were by no means "hardmen" but the way Parker and Poyet used to get stuck into crunching tackles could lift the crowd in a game hugely.
  • Options
    Steve Thompson and Steve Brown are a couple I’d put in the fearless category - maybe not quarried like a Tommy Smith but out their bodies on the line - Jason Pierce similar 
  • Options
    Kevin Davies hard and dirty. Hermann had enough of his flying elbows and broke Davis’s cheekbone and got sent off. Davies did not go down and just shook his head.
    He did show his sporting side by getting himself sent off and levelling things up.