Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst season since…?

Comments

• Options
    Some of the Roland years were much worse imo. 
  • Options
    71/72
    We were mid table and no need for concern
    A run of bad results stating with an og by Shipperly against Orient followed by home defeat to Norwich and the rot set in and we never won another game

Last game away to Blackpool
    Another commentator can report on that

I was at Fulham for final game of season v Sunderland - they had to get a better result than us to stay up
    They drew 0-0
    We lost 5-0
    So down we went 
    A season that promised so much with Ray Treacy winner against Hull in opening game

I'm of the same era as @raytreacy69 so i've seen it all before. A couple of hours with the hump on a saturday night then move on.
  • Options
    Working two jobs has always made attending the games hard, but I have usually done nearly double figures by now.  This season I haven't been once, I think the dross may finally have broken me.  I will definitely go before the end of the season but it almost feels like an obligatory chore than a bit of escapist joy.
  • Options
    79-80 but at least we followed that relegation with promotion the following season.
  • Options
    So - reading the thread, it has become clear that the fault lies with all you people who can attend games, but don't. How do you know it is dross if you ain't there?  ;)  
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    So - reading the thread, it has become clear that the fault lies with all you people who can attend games, but don't. How do you know it is dross if you ain't there?  ;)  
    cos we drew against fucking Burton. at home. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Pardew/Parkinson relegation season was really bad...but at least we were seeing better teams beat us. This season could still be rescued as a spectacle, if we get in a few really decent players but I'm not expecting that to happen.
  • Options
    You can argue all day about if this season is worse than last season.

It's totally irrelevant to me, what's very clear that since lockdown until now this has been the worst period of continual poor/under performance on the pitch.

Things need to change, but that has needed to happen for the past 4 years and nothing has changed in a positive way for long enough 
  • Options
    Better than last year as far as the league is concerned, but mostly very uninspiring football. Struggling to think of many highlights. Last year we at least had some excitement in the cup and a few very good performances - and the Ipswich game. 

Very disappointing that it looks like nothing to play for and we haven't even played half our games yet. The club urgently needs sorting out off the field so that we can start building longer term.

I remember some very grim seasons in the 70s, but this and the last couple are right up there.
  • Options
    We are mediocre season after season. It feels the club is slowly dying.

The team seem utterly spineless. The equalizer yesterday was inevitable.

Our players under perform again and again.
  • Options
    I don't know when, but I think they're lulling us into a false sense of insecurity to moderate our expectations and will pounce, like a thing that pounces, once everyone has conceded that the season is over. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Off_it said:
    DOUCHER said:
    the bizzarre thing is we have scored a lot of goals, particularly at home but its just so dull - i hate this modern, formatted football - round the back, players operated like robots by walking coaching manual managers - no flair, nothing off the cuff, no big challenges - if we're lucky we might get 15 minutes of high temp football and excitement - the rest i believe is what is called ' defending with the ball - its not football, its certainly not entertainment.   
    Yep, been thinking the same for a while now. 

Football seems to all be about maintaining possession rather than creating chances or trying to do something to score a goal. 

At the top level when you watch it done properly its a thing of beauty. But down in the 3rd division it just doesn't work. The fitness has improved amongst these players more than the technique or skill, so you have heavily congested areas of the pitch where people get closed down instantly and don't have the touch, skill or vision to get out of it. So the ball goes backwards.

It's like watching international football sometimes. All slow and deliberate, but with no spark or spontaneity. 

All in all it’s losing its value as an entertainment spectacle for me, and that's before you bring in shite like VAR.
    The problem is that apparently the stats back up the success of this formatted dirge and England certainly go further in tournaments playing it - it is, however, as dull as dishwater - programmed players,  playing to a dull programme and the prem is becoming more like the continental leagues each year as the foreign coaches take over - crowds are still big though so can’t see it changing - I like spurs atm because they are bucking the trend but give it a few months and the opposing coaches will have worked out how to stop them 
  • Options
    I'm feeling very dispondant about the club in general. Even at yesterday's match, I fully expected an equaliser and they didn't disappoint. For the first time (in almost 40 years of support) I feel absolutely no attachment to any of the current squad. I don't care if CBT or Dobbo leaves and I very much doubt i'll get excited about new recruits this January. I'm just resigned to the fact that we're a mid-table L1 club, no better than the likes of Northampton, Shrewsbury and Stevenage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Just a flavour of what we were dealing with this time last season. On the pitch is no better or worse than last year.

• Options
    I don’t think anyone is disputing last season wasn’t a crap season. 
  • Options
    The “Pawel Abbott” season will take some beating. 
  • Options
    What do we expect, when the owners of the club for the past so many seasons didn't give a shit or been as mad as a hatter.
  • Options
    I think this season is shaping to be the worst in my 50 years of support. I say this because we've been taken over by a consortium who appear to have a lot of money but have shown nothing to show any real intent. We've got an average manager, bar Alfie a load of average players and dreadful loans, there appears to be no interest in dealing with the Belgium fella to at least get back the assets which would make me feel a load better.. So, in essence we own nothing, we're going nowhere and it's very depressing. I'm not sure I've ever felt that low even when we were in the high courts about to go out of business.
    Mince pie anyone? 
  • Options
    Thought last season was worst but 79/80 was terrible. Thought we went 15 games without a win towards end of season and didn’t score in most of them. Okay checked records on Dec 21st we lost away at Luton 3-0 then we played 21 more games that season winning one of them. Bristol Rovers at home 4-0😀, drawing another 4 games and losing 16 of them and not scoring in ten of them. We also lost 6-0 away in FACup to Wrexham.
    we were of course in Diiv 2 at the time.
  • Options
    Enjoy. 
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    The “Pawel Abbott” season will take some beating. 
    It was pretty terrible. Here’s the line up from just before the start of the January window (29/12/2010, 1-1 away draw with Brighton):

• Options
    edited December 2023
    haha Benson, forgot about that lanky prick. he surprising wasn't that bad. hell of alot better than abbott. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Fackin hell take your pick from the last ten years. 😂

I think during Jackos bad spell I left more or less every game early until he got sacked as I always had a feeling how the game would go.

Since Bowyer has been gone I've only truly enjoyed the football under Garner, in particular the Plymouth and Ipswich games at home. 

They're all carbon copies though these league 1 seasons, this one probably feels worse for me as I've normally dodged a few away games by now but I've genuinely been to every game bar a papa John's and Cray Valley at home so it's wearing me down worse than usual. 

I don't understand how we still have younger fans, must be severe brain washing. That's what I had to do with my lot.

It's very dangerous how things are looking and I'll say this much, this is the most 'dead' the club has ever felt to me. Every season is the same, soundbites from the club, 'shouldn't be in this league' etc. We have a bad first window, injury prone and journeymen players rock up, steal a wage. We then get near January and people will say 'we have January' January arrives and nothing shows up. We then hear phrases like 'not his squad' for managers like Appleton, Holden, Adkins, Jackson, Garner etc. We then usually sack them when we go on a bad spell through lack of direction and investment and repeat the cycle.

On the way in empty roads, barely saw a fan on the way to the game half hour before kick off, no atmosphere outside or inside the ground, a stadium at no more than 30-35% its capacity? 

Might be the worst in my lifetime tbf so far, all things considered. My first game was the 00/01 season so I'm not quite as travelled as a lot of you mind.