Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst season since…?

Comments

• Options
    Ever…
  • Options
    Enjoy. 
    That's the one I mentioned above, but even though it was shit it was at least followed by one of the best seasons following Charlton imho....which included going to Ipswich for the 5th Rd of the FA Cup and finishing 3rd to gain promotion straight back to the 2nd Division.
  • Options
    Enjoy. 
    The run from December 15th to the end of the season is abysmal! 

If that happened these days we would change the manager three times in those five months!
  • Options
    since last season...?
  • Options
    10/11 felt worse because we had a really poor group - I think Parkinson did quite well to be as high as he was before he was sacked .  Last season was dire - I didn’t enjoy the Jackson (3/4) season either.  As someone else says , they all blend into one 
  • Options
    I have been supporting the club since 1986 and this is definitely the worse season in terms of results. I know Charlton don't do cups. but we have never been out of all the cups at this stage in the season. And if we did, we had the league to look forward to because the managers concentrated on the league and put out reserves. Some of the interplay was very good yesterday but it has been the final decisions when we get in the box (or near the box). I have never been as livid as I have been with CBT as I did yesterday. We had 4 players busting a gut, all in a line running on the counter attack but CBT did not look up. Our problem has been the coaching. We can't kill a game off (although I felt if we had a Leaburn or Aneke on the field as a sub), it would have mean that Burton would have 2 fresh players that had to keep on with their height and physique and how they can hold up the ball and bring other players into the game).  We could and should have killed that game off yesterday. I disagree in that it is because CBT is off. He has always played that way.  Time and time again we give away so many needless goals.

I got so frustrated watching us, that by the time there was 20 minutes left I was thinking, this is good from the away side. They have defended in numbers and in a line (which is something we never do), they are waiting for the opportunity to hit us on the break, and grab that goal near the end. All the time it stays 1-0 to CAFC, they just have to wait for the opportunity as there is always a mistake in there.

I am not totally blaming Appleton. 

Personally I am happy for the club to forget this season. We are not going up or down. 
    Similar to Kirk, I would come to an agreement with Aneke. I know it is not his fault but let's pay him up on a mutual agreement in the summer. (if he can get a few games here and there before the end of the season, then thta is your back up striker). 

In the summer, have a proper clear out and plan. Get players that are hungry, bring in leaders. 

Bring in the right Manager and let him have his say on what players he wants to bring in to to play to his systems the way he does. 
    Bring in good coaches that we can afford.  Have a decent scouting network and scouts. 

Give the Manager a 3 year contract and 3 transfer windows. 

• Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I have been supporting the club since 1986 and this is definitely the worse season in terms of results. I know Charlton don't do cups. but we have never been out of all the cups at this stage in the season. And if we did, we had the league to look forward to because the managers concentrated on the league and put out reserves. Some of the interplay was very good yesterday but it has been the final decisions when we get in the box (or near the box). I have never been as livid as I have been with CBT as I did yesterday. We had 4 players busting a gut, all in a line running on the counter attack but CBT did not look up. Our problem has been the coaching. We can't kill a game off (although I felt if we had a Leaburn or Aneke on the field as a sub), it would have mean that Burton would have 2 fresh players that had to keep on with their height and physique and how they can hold up the ball and bring other players into the game).  We could and should have killed that game off yesterday. I disagree in that it is because CBT is off. He has always played that way.  Time and time again we give away so many needless goals.

I got so frustrated watching us, that by the time there was 20 minutes left I was thinking, this is good from the away side. They have defended in numbers and in a line (which is something we never do), they are waiting for the opportunity to hit us on the break, and grab that goal near the end. All the time it stays 1-0 to CAFC, they just have to wait for the opportunity as there is always a mistake in there.

I am not totally blaming Appleton. 

Personally I am happy for the club to forget this season. We are not going up or down. 
    Similar to Kirk, I would come to an agreement with Aneke. I know it is not his fault but let's pay him up on a mutual agreement in the summer. (if he can get a few games here and there before the end of the season, then thta is your back up striker). 

In the summer, have a proper clear out and plan. Get players that are hungry, bring in leaders. 

Bring in the right Manager and let him have his say on what players he wants to bring in to to play to his systems the way he does. 
    Bring in good coaches that we can afford.  Have a decent scouting network and scouts. 

Give the Manager a 3 year contract and 3 transfer windows. 

Then he loses 3 on the bounce and it’s “your a tossa on your way “
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    se9addick said:
    Enjoy. 
    The run from December 15th to the end of the season is abysmal! 

If that happened these days we would change the manager three times in those five months!
    Those 2 games with Fulham were the low point for me they went down with us along with Burnley. Anyone remember Watford away, in particular Euston station on the way home?
  • Options
    Don’t know about worst season (73 74 was pretty naff but the team was good to watch at home).
    Worst squad / team since 79 80 I’d say. 
    (Before that the 1920s I guess)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Difficult question
    With the advent of CTV I no longer go to the Valley mainly due to cost but also the dire football but then we do have Alfie scoring and CBT weaving his magic down the left but it just doesn't excite like the days of Hunt, Mendonca and Robinson to name a few. But is it worse than the last few years - and yes I think it is as the new owners and managers just don't give me any hope., they speak words without any history of achievement and so are meaningless.
    I also think that the current fan negativity is exacerbated by the level of skilled football played in higher leagues which really shows what dross is served to us
  • Options
    PWR

The 79/80 season was dismal. We finished bottom of the table after only 6 wins all season & Steve Gritt with 7 goals was the top scorer. However there were some players in the squad who I liked - Johns, Robinson, Warman, Walker to name a few, whereas there are only 2 players in the current squad that I’d be upset to lose.
  • Options
    PWR

The 79/80 season was dismal. We finished bottom of the table after only 6 wins all season & Steve Gritt with 7 goals was the top scorer. However there were some players in the squad who I liked - Johns, Robinson, Warman, Walker to name a few, whereas there are only 2 players in the current squad that I’d be upset to lose.
    With you there.
  • Options
    Enjoy. 
    That's the one I mentioned above, but even though it was shit it was at least followed by one of the best seasons following Charlton imho....which included going to Ipswich for the 5th Rd of the FA Cup and finishing 3rd to gain promotion straight back to the 2nd Division.
    Anyone remember freezing up at Luton.....and the fuc.... lights went out as well.
  • Options
    It’s very tough for all of us this season whether you started going in 1965 like me or 2000 like Brazilliance but I remember standing on the vast east terrace as one of the 3,018 against Halifax or the time I parked outside the turnstiles ( literally) at Selhurst for some Micky mouse cup game and they let me run round the outside of the pitch while the game was going on to get to my spot in the Arthur Wait stand. There were 900 of us there that night 
    I don’t have a crystal ball but if someone had told me that night against Halifax that I would end up watching Premiership football with all the Charlton players as internationals and a packed Valley I wouldn’t have believed them. 
    I think all we can really do in spells like these - and I know it’s been a long one now !! - is care just a little bit less and take it just a bit less seriously and wait and hope for the next good period 
    It’s what I did in the 80’s and I guess that’s what the Luton fans were doing in the conference a few years ago.
    Keep the faith but care a bit less for a while !! 
    Wise words 👏
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    What do we expect, when the owners of the club for the past so many seasons didn't give a shit or been as mad as a hatter.

swordfish said:
    I don't know when, but I think they're lulling us into a false sense of insecurity to moderate our expectations and will pounce, like a thing that pounces, once everyone has conceded that the season is over. 

The first post he has it correct.

The second post I am thinking the SMT won’t even give us a second thought today.

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    You can argue all day about if this season is worse than last season.

It's totally irrelevant to me, what's very clear that since lockdown until now this has been the worst period of continual poor/under performance on the pitch.

Things need to change, but that has needed to happen for the past 4 years and nothing has changed in a positive way for long enough 
    At best we have stagnated.
  • Options
    worst season since.....er the last one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not the worst in terms of results, but we're out of every cup and we are not going down or going up, so it is probably going to be the least interesting.
  • Options
    Nah - last season in Prem was worse, and the 79/80 relegation season was also abysmal 
  • Options
    Nah - last season in Prem was worse, and the 79/80 relegation season was also abysmal 
    Said before that 79-80 season whilst bloody awful was followed by one of the best seasons following CAFC imho. 
  • Options
    Diabysmal
  • Options
    The last one?

Don't think about it anymore, we are just shit.
  • Options
    I think what is annoying me about this season is that on paper we have a squad that should be challenging. There are atleast 4 starters that would get into any other team in this league. This season should have been one of the easiest to get promoted but the level of under achievement is outstanding
  • Options
    You mad! The last season in the Prem was way more interesting than this dire dross!
    Yeah ridiculous comparison
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    There is always a statistical argument that can be had regarding whether it’s the worst or not. But then there’s the general malaise and apathy which are a bit more subjective.

The wretched run we went on under Adkins was the lowest point in recent years for me. There was a game against Accrington at home where there can’t have been any more than 6,000 in the ground, and they did us 2-1. I don’t think we’re at that sort of low point just yet this season.

The only highlights for me this season is that we have two players that are exciting to watch (CBT/May), but it’s equally frustrating that we’ve left ourselves short everywhere else. The fact we have those in our attack, in good form, and not even challenging for the playoffs is criminal. 

I don’t think I’ve ever left The Valley as embarrassed as I did after the Cray Valley match. And the Gillingham debacle was truly infuriating.

After the game on Saturday I was far angrier with the situation than usual - largely because it felt so predictable. 

We’re a soft club, with merry go round owners/manager/players. 

Our three highest paid players this season consist of a very talented striker who sadly can’t stay fit for more than about 10 games at a time, an “attacking midfielder” who is about as strong as a sheet of paper and doesn’t actually do anything, and a bloke who was so crap and lazy that we paid him off just to leave the club. 

It’s really hard to build an emotional connection with this squad to be honest. They’re just coasting through the motions and don’t really seem to give much of a toss.