Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    remarkable win for England and what a debut for Tom Hartley .. sets the series up nicely
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Hartley didn't even bowl THAT well, the pitch was doing everything and Leach's injury meant it was all for him. Pope's innings was outrageous 

"Hartley didn't even bowl THAT well"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Lucky 7 wickets 
    He didn't! Lots of loose stuff and not much building of pressure, but just enough good balls. On a ragging 4th-day deck and with the main spinner injured, he had to be the guy, and he was, just about 
  • Options
    His batting was very impressive of course, though, and he's bought himself the whole series 
  • Options
    It is unlikely that Leach will make the next Test is due to start on Friday. So, will we play the extra seamer or throw in another rookie spinner? 
    I don't think we need 4 spinners, so would bring in an extra seamer. Especially for the first innings.

I wonder if India will slightly rethink having such spin dominated pitches, especially if Jadeja is injured 
  • Options
    It is unlikely that Leach will make the next Test is due to start on Friday. So, will we play the extra seamer or throw in another rookie spinner? 
    I don't think we need 4 spinners, so would bring in an extra seamer. Especially for the first innings.

I wonder if India will slightly rethink having such spin dominated pitches, especially if Jadeja is injured 
    I think Bashir for Leach and a quick for Ahmed. Hartley has shown he can bat 8
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Leuth said:

I think Bashir for Leach and a quick for Ahmed. Hartley has shown he can bat 8

I could see that but I'm not sure Wood will play either though they do have that break after this next Test. He was wicketless and his pace was down too so could see Anderson plus one of the other seamers coming in as well as Bashir.
  • Options
    Pope has a bit of a mullet developing there. Bad haircuts seem to be a bit of a Surrey thing.
  • Options
    First time India have ever lost at home after being 100 ahead after first innings 
  • Options
    Hartley could probably play Test cricket for another Ten years and not get better figures than he did today. 
    With Leach being injured and Hartley not looking that impressive in the 1st innings I could only see an Indian victory. 
    What a fantastic Test to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 28
    Recorded it and it's just finished.
    That's nicely completed my treble, Charlton to draw & WI & England to win.

But seriously, I was almost certain India would win so well done England on a magnificent come back.
    Especially Pope and Hartley (Stokes' run out was superb as well).
  • Options
    edited January 28

Killer, India have won 15 series in a row at home since 2013 so I don't think they will prepare wickets any different.

In a 5 test series it's always hard to bet against India at home but a massive psychological boost for "Trusting the process and not getting too emotional with the result, win, lose or draw".

Winning is more fun 👏
  • Options
    edited January 28
    At the end of play on the first day it was already looking just like most of us predicted…..myself included. I wonder what price England were to win at that point?
    I am delighted to have been proved wrong.
    Well done England…….not forgetting The Barmy Army.👏👏👏
  • Options
    Excellent result. Proper shocked we won that. 

Glad Pope didn’t get his double hundred after seeing he’s got a mullet - he needs locking up for that.   
  • Options
    Well done England. Gutted I couldn’t stay awake to watch the last session.
  • Options
    Incredible result.

2 of the most unexpected away wins in test cricket both happening on the same day.
  • Options
    Going back 6-7 pages and reading the comments on here from day 1 and 2 is great.

England believe they can win from any position, and they’re backing it up…
  • Options
    Going back 6-7 pages and reading the comments on here from day 1 and 2 is great.

England believe they can win from any position, and they’re backing it up…
    I’m as guilty as anyone
  • Options
    edited January 28
    Miracles do happen , was in and out with kids football near the end , listened on the radio, looked at bbc website for score updates on and off I saw India 55 behind with 3 wickets left and I was fuming , I knew they’d win and we’d fuck it up …..
    ha ha beautiful with the Windies win the icing on top 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 28
    I am very happy to be eating a bit of humble pie after being critical of Pope in our first innings and Hartley at the start of Indias first knock.

Excellent contribution from Foakes (batting and keeping) and brilliant management of Hartley by the skipper. 

What a match 
  • Options
    Wasn't that impressed with Hartley at Canterbury in September when I saw him bowl but you cannot argue with 7 test wickets in an innings.
  • Options
    2 observations.

Foakes keeping in the 2nd innings (in particular) was world class. We cannot go into a test on the sub continent without him.

Last time we played in India we won the first test thanks to a Joe Root masterclass and then they doctored the pitches for the rest of the series and spun us out the series. But this pitch was already doctored, what do they do now? Doctor the ball? 🤣
  • Options
    Im more happy India lost than England won.

Absolute arsehole fans.
  • Options
    "Pitch already doctored". Dear me. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    "Pitch already set up to negate pace bowlers and to heavily favour spin from the off and degrading further quickly, as you'd expect from a home side.' Dear me. 

• Options
    Since Stokes became captain,they appear to believe that whatever the situation,they can rescue the game,and so it has been proved on numerous occasions .Yesterday was a classic ,I got up around 6 and watched till the end,very worried until the 8th wicket went down.
  • Options
    No Jadeja or KL Rahul for the next test , Washington Sundar , Sarfraz Khan and Saurabh Kumar called in

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jadeja-and-rahul-ruled-out-of-second-test-against-england-1418871
  • Options
    edited January 29
    Lancashire have signed Nathan Lyon for next season in all formats, which will hardly help Hartley's chance of game time, though will give him someone to learn of.

Weird that Lancashire, in the damp northwest, has produced so many spinners for England recently.