Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    So far no TV coverage for India v England test series, although word is it often gets agreed at the last minute.
  • Options
    https://www.wionews.com/sports/sa-v-ind-two-test-series-is-waste-of-time-angry-ravi-shastri-bashes-scheduling-676746

Former India coach Ravi Shastri in this interview called for a proper practice game before tours. Test cricket becomes a joke if touring sides end up effectively using Test matches to warm up. 

Last summer, the Aussies were in the groove from the start because they had been playing the World Test Championship, and thus were back in the rhythm of Test cricket and English conditions.
  • Options
    I see Steve Smith is going to open for the Aussie Test team.

Interesting development, brave of him to move up, apparently no one else wanted to and he volunteered.

Thought Labuschagne might do it, but Smith will probably step up fine.
    Probably tongue in cheek but Labuschagne said that he would have volunteered to open but Smith beat him to it. Cameron Green batting at 4 would concern me more if I was an Aussie. 
  • Options
    With the opportunities available for English cricketers at all levels with those who excel in all forms of the game having to be somewhat selective between now and the end of September as to where and when they play:

Big Bash - 7th Jan to 24th Feb
    SA20 - 11th Jan to 10th Feb 
    India v England Test Series - 24th Jan to 11th March
    International League - 19th Jan to 17th Feb
    IPL - 22nd March to 29th May
    County Championship - 5th April to 29th September
    England v Pakistan T20 Series - 22nd to 30th May
    Vitality Blast - 30th May to 19th July (Group) and 3rd to 14th September (Knock Out)
    The 2024 World Cup - 1st to 29th June
    The US Major League - TBC but likely to be 4th July to beginning of August
    England v West Indies Test Series - 10th to 30th July
    The Metro Bank One Day Cup - 24th July to 14th August with Final on 22nd September
    The Hundred - TBC but likely to take up most of August
    England v Sri Lanka Test Series - 21st August to 10th September
    England v Australia T20 Series - 11th to 15th September
    England v Australia ODI Series - 19th to 29th September

There are other tournaments during this period but not ones where many English players are likely to be involved
  • Options
    https://www.wionews.com/sports/sa-v-ind-two-test-series-is-waste-of-time-angry-ravi-shastri-bashes-scheduling-676746

Former India coach Ravi Shastri in this interview called for a proper practice game before tours. Test cricket becomes a joke if touring sides end up effectively using Test matches to warm up. 

Last summer, the Aussies were in the groove from the start because they had been playing the World Test Championship, and thus were back in the rhythm of Test cricket and English conditions.
    I think if we weren't rusty coming into Edgbaston we'd have comfortably won that test and the Ashes. 
  • Options
    Never let it be said that there are limitations to the skills of England fast bowler, Ollie Robinson

• Options

Interesting development, brave of him to move up, apparently no one else wanted to and he volunteered.

Probably tongue in cheek but Labuschagne said that he would have volunteered to open but Smith beat him to it. Cameron Green batting at 4 would concern me more if I was an Aussie. 
    Aussies are preparing to go all out BAZball  :)
  • Options
    edited January 16
    I wonder how much was edited out of the Robinson podcast ?

• Options
    I wonder how much was edited out of the Robinson podcast ?

If you look at the tweet, you can see.  On the bottom left, it says 0:52.  That's 52 seconds they left in.  

On the bottom right, it says -1:08:06.  That's just over one hour and eight minutes they edited out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TNT have bought the rights to India's test matches for the next 5 years. Another shocking production to look forward to! 
  • Options
    TNT have bought the rights to India's test matches for the next 5 years. Another shocking production to look forward to! 
    Is that home Tests?  Or all of them?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Is that home Tests?  Or all of them?
    I think it's all international cricket series in India
  • Options
    Not helped by the agreement being so late. Whoever bought the rights would have had no time to put together their own commentary team
  • Options
    At least my £20pm subscription wont go to waste then. 
  • Options
    Not helped by the agreement being so late. Whoever bought the rights would have had no time to put together their own commentary team
    Gower was part of the Windies ODI coverage iirc. I'm sure he would like a month in India. 
  • Options

Out for 12 to debutant Shamar Joseph with the first ball he bowled 😁
  • Options

Shamar now has three wickets to his name - the only three taken by the Windies to date namely Smith, Labuschagne and Green. Not the worst to have on your CV. 
  • Options
    edited January 18

Shamar now has three wickets to his name - the only three taken by the Windies to date namely Smith, Labuschagne and Green. Not the worst to have on your CV. 
    And finishes with figures of 20-2-94-5. This to go with his 36 off 41 balls coming in at 11. He seems a real character too. 

Australia ended up with 283 for a first innings lead of 95, the difference being down to the innings of 119 (134) from Travis Head on what is his home ground. Unfortunately, the Windies are 7-3 in their second innings with Hazelwood picking up all three without conceding a run in the innings. 

Edit: Windies 73-6 at close and still 22 beind. Hazelwood on 4-18 and 8-62 in the match.

• Options
    Starting in a couple of weeks time, NZ host SA in a two match Test Series that goes towards the World Test Championship.

SA have left out Aiden Markram, Temba Bavuma, Tristan Stubbs, Kyle Verreynne, Marco Jansen, Nandre Burger, Wiaan Mulder, Gerald Coetzee, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Keshav Maharaj and Tony de Zorzi because of their own domestic T20 competition. Dean Elgar has retired too. In all South Africa have seven uncapped players to go with seven capped players - Duanne Olivier, who played 15 Tests between 2017 and 2022 is the most experienced, followed by Petersen (12).

A sad sign of things to come? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starting in a couple of weeks time, NZ host SA in a two match Test Series that goes towards the World Test Championship.

SA have left out Aiden Markram, Temba Bavuma, Tristan Stubbs, Kyle Verreynne, Marco Jansen, Nandre Burger, Wiaan Mulder, Gerald Coetzee, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Keshav Maharaj and Tony de Zorzi because of their own domestic T20 competition. Dean Elgar has retired too. In all South Africa have seven uncapped players to go with seven capped players - Duanne Olivier, who played 15 Tests between 2017 and 2022 is the most experienced, followed by Petersen (12).

A sad sign of things to come? 
    SA pulled out of a ODI series against Australia a year ago because it clashed with their domestic T20 competition, but this is just as bad.
  • Options
    Hundreds for Keaton Jennings and Josh Bohannon for the Lions out in India. Nice middle/lower order 50s for Warwickshire's Dan Mousley and Sussex's Jack Carson too. 

• Options
    I see slow left armer Callum Parkinson is in the England A side.

If he ever gets into the full side, then England will have picked two pairs of twins in the last 5 years!
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Hundreds for Keaton Jennings and Josh Bohannon for the Lions out in India. Nice middle/lower order 50s for Warwickshire's Dan Mousley and Sussex's Jack Carson too. 

Looks a bit of a one sided match. 
  • Options
    Ridiculous that the lions are out in India getting games with the red ball but the test squad wont be playing any warm up matches. I hope we are keeping the lions out there for the duration of the series as I'm sure some will be needed....
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Looks a bit of a one sided match. 
    We have some untested youngsters but also have a fair share of players who have played international red and/or white ball. The Indian side looks like a Prime Ministers XI - Jennings alone has played more matches at the highest level than their team put together - but good experience nevertheless playing in those conditions 
  • Options
    England U19s restricted Scotland to 174 all out in 49.2 overs today with the spinners doing most of the damage - namely Farhan Ahmed (the 15 year old younger brother of Rehan:10-2-22-3), Luc Bekenstein (son of South African international, Dale: 10-0-41-3) and Jaydn Denly (nephew of Joe: 7-0-24-1)
  • Options
    England win by 7 wickets with 23.4 overs to spare - captain Ben McKinney leading the way with 88 (68) and aided, in the main, by Jaydn Denly 40 (50) and Noah Thain 22 (28). There will be much bigger tests to come but, as the well-worn saying goes, you can only beat what's in front of you. 
  • Options
    Haydon Mustard, son of Phil, is in the England u19 squad. Cricket does seem to have more family connections that any other sport!
  • Options
    Haydon Mustard, son of Phil, is in the England u19 squad. Cricket does seem to have more family connections that any other sport!
    As well as Denly, Benkenstein, Ahmed and Mustard there is Charlie Allison (brother of Essex's Ben).

Cricket tends to be a much smaller and closer group than say football by virtue of who plays the game and the pathways available to those players. At say 11, for example, when it is impossible to say for a fact that a kid is going to make it as a pro, it is more difficult for an age group county coach, who might have only played club cricket, not to select the child of a county or international player who shows any semblance of talent than an individual who has no connections to the professional game whatsoever. So they are "in the system" but it can, equally, then be harder for those children to prove themselves because they are aware that there will be comparison with their relatives and there will always be speculation that he or she is only being selected because of their name.