Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Bumrah back now which, at face value, is an interesting move given all the difficulties we've had dominating spin. 
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in the 2nd Unofficial Test in Ahmedabad, India A are currently 310-4 off 72 in reply to England Lions 152 AO

• Options
    Can we play the West of India instead of all of it ?  Would be a much closer game seeing as they are 105/5.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    For a minute Rehan thought he had hit the first 6 of our innings - not one in the true sense as it included 4 overthrows - but as the two batsmen hadn't crossed at the time the ball was initially thrown it was deemed just a 5
  • Options
    And Bumrah has Rehan caught behind off an inside edge for 13 (18)

155-7 off 48.3
  • Options
    Bumrah has to bowl spin to get a wicket 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bumrah has to bowl spin to get a wicket 

Thought I was on Twitter reading that 😂
  • Options
    Hartley showing the sort of character this England group admire 
  • Options
    Hartley hasn't got the message that we aren't playing Bazball - 20 off 20 to date
  • Options
    Hartley hasn't got the message that we aren't playing Bazball - 20 off 20 to date
    And is then bowled going for the big one for 23 (24) by Jadeja

193-8
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stokes now taking the game to India
  • Options
    215-8 off 59 at tea

Stokes 43* (66)
    Wood 7* (16)
  • Options
    I suppose the really disappointing thing is that every one of our batsmen, with the possible exception of Pope (who still faced 11 balls albeit not very successfully) got in and then got out. It is that sort of wicket where you are unlikely to be confident that a ball won't have your name on it but a few have been down to poor shot selection rather than facing an unplayable one 
  • Options
    This isn't a Pope series, anyone could tell that. Jennings or Bohannon would absolutely and obviously score more runs than him. But he's the darling of English cricket for some unaccountable reason
  • Options
    Good unexpected resistance from the Windies in their game too btw. Well not so unexpected from Josh da Silva (remember him anyone)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    This isn't a Pope series, anyone could tell that. Jennings or Bohannon would absolutely and obviously score more runs than him. But he's the darling of English cricket for some unaccountable reason
    I don't think any series is a Pope series to be honest. Mark Ramprakash mk.2 
  • Options
    I think if you take out that 205 versus Ireland his average quite possibly dips below 30
  • Options
    Stokes reaches his 50 (69) with a maximum
  • Options
    Nice way to bring up Stokes' 50
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Could be gone now though.

Edit

Pitched outside leg.....but goes the next ball. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wood bowled trying to slog a ball from Ashwin and sees his stumps smashed - out for 11 off 24. Given that Stokes is now in full flow it might have been more sensible for him to try and occupy the crease instead. 

234-9 
  • Options
    Leach at the crease. An opposition who've used up all their reviews....
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Leuth said:
    I think if you take out that 205 versus Ireland his average quite possibly dips below 30
    Becomes 31.16. Equally, if you take out Crawley's 267 on a road against Pakistan then his average becomes 27.96

To be fair to Pope he has been very unlucky with injuries that have served to make things a bit "stop/start". But I agree with "horses for courses" and that Jennings might have been a good option for this tour. But let's not forget that central contracts mean that the expectation is that you will be picked to play for England. Otherwise, the ECB are paying way over the top for a player to do next to nothing and as Pope isn't in the white ball squads it would mean exactly that. 
  • Options
    When Brook hopefully returns, Pope must be vulnerable.
  • Options
    Bumrah cleans up Stokes for 70 (88) leaving Leach stranded on 0* (3)

246 all out off 64.3. Could have been better but, equally, might have been worse
  • Options
    When Brook hopefully returns, Pope must be vulnerable.
    Agreed but if Pope does get a few runs and Foakes doesn't then I think we know what might happen.........
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't think any series is a Pope series to be honest. Mark Ramprakash mk.2 
    He's at his best batting at 4 or 5.
    But because Root refuses to bat at 3 Pope has got the job.

Having Said that his average for England should be far higher than it is. 
    If he plays poorly in this series his place will be under pressure next summer. 
  • Options
    Welcome to Test cricket Hartley!!! Smashed for a 6 first ball by Jaiswal. 
  • Options
    I predict the next Cricinfo 'ask Steven' will have a question involving bowlers' first Test ball going for 6
  • Options
    Make that two maximums for Hartley in his first five balls.