Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    England 69-1 off 15
  • Options
    Following a rain disruption, England won by 36 runs (DLS). The skipper, Ben McKinney once again got runs (48 off 67) but top scorer was Noah Thain with an undefeated 63 off 82. An excellent win that leaves us top of the group.   
  • Options
    As of yesterday, it seems that the ECB have failed to sort out in time the visa for one of our players, Shoaib Bashir who was left behind in Abu Dhabi when the rest of the squad flew out. Shoaib is of Pakistani heritage but was born in Surrey and is a British passport holder. However, this is not the first time players with Pakistani backgrounds have had visa delays from the Indian government. Usman Khawaja suffered a similar delay before Australia’s tour to India last year and the Pakistan World Cup squad faced visa delays in November before being granted entry into India. 

By all accounts it also appears that Ben Stokes is a doubt for Thursday as he hasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery. A decision regarding his participation will be made as late as possible. What this does seem to confirm though is that he won't be fit enough to bowl - so, in theory, his participation might mean that Foakes won't play after all as I don't see how we create the right balance with just four frontline bowlers, plus Root, especially in India. We have to play two spinners but, in that heat, can we afford to perm, for example, any two from an ageing  Anderson, a fragile Robinson (on at least three occasions he's not be able to bowl due to back spasms) and a Wood who at his best can only be utilised in very short spells? Playing an extra bowler would mean someone like Rehan Ahmed batting at 7 followed by four non batsmen or us playing Lawrence as a "bits and pieces" fill in. 
    Well this has become a complete and utter joke. Shoaib is now having to return home. Despite applying for his visa on 11 December – and every other application for England’s touring party having been approved in good time – Bashir has returned home and faces further paperwork. He was born in Surrey and holds a British Passport. It's not difficult to work out why India have refused to grant him a Visa - they did exactly the same thing initially to Usman Khawaja though there is a subtle difference in Khawaja's case - he was born in Pakistan - but that shouldn't have been an issue either.

In the old days, teams would refuse to play if a player was refused entry in these circumstances. Suspect there is too much money at stake for this to happen. 
  • Options
    What a cool and totally not nationalistic government India has 
  • Options
    As of yesterday, it seems that the ECB have failed to sort out in time the visa for one of our players, Shoaib Bashir who was left behind in Abu Dhabi when the rest of the squad flew out. Shoaib is of Pakistani heritage but was born in Surrey and is a British passport holder. However, this is not the first time players with Pakistani backgrounds have had visa delays from the Indian government. Usman Khawaja suffered a similar delay before Australia’s tour to India last year and the Pakistan World Cup squad faced visa delays in November before being granted entry into India. 

By all accounts it also appears that Ben Stokes is a doubt for Thursday as he hasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery. A decision regarding his participation will be made as late as possible. What this does seem to confirm though is that he won't be fit enough to bowl - so, in theory, his participation might mean that Foakes won't play after all as I don't see how we create the right balance with just four frontline bowlers, plus Root, especially in India. We have to play two spinners but, in that heat, can we afford to perm, for example, any two from an ageing  Anderson, a fragile Robinson (on at least three occasions he's not be able to bowl due to back spasms) and a Wood who at his best can only be utilised in very short spells? Playing an extra bowler would mean someone like Rehan Ahmed batting at 7 followed by four non batsmen or us playing Lawrence as a "bits and pieces" fill in. 
    Well this has become a complete and utter joke. Shoaib is now having to return home. Despite applying for his visa on 11 December – and every other application for England’s touring party having been approved in good time – Bashir has returned home and faces further paperwork. He was born in Surrey and holds a British Passport. It's not difficult to work out why India have refused to grant him a Visa - they did exactly the same thing initially to Usman Khawaja though there is a subtle difference in Khawaja's case - he was born in Pakistan - but that shouldn't have been an issue either.

In the old days, teams would refuse to play if a player was refused entry in these circumstances. Suspect there is too much money at stake for this to happen. 
    The Indian Visa agency is run by a bunch of absolute tossers of the first order……a scandalous set up, try getting a thing as simple as a tourist visa, you’ll need the fucking holiday just to get over the procedure! 🤨
  • Options
    As for the cricket……I think we are in for a thrashing.
    Hope I’m wrong but I can see it coming. 🫤
  • Options
    Completely unacceptable behaviour by the Indian authorities. I really hope there are reprisals for this, though have zero expectation of it happening.
  • Options
    Having been to India  (I love the place)
    Their visa system is an absolute nightmare. 
  • Options
    Well Stokes is fit to play but whether he can bowl remains to be seen. If he can't then our only seam option is someone who can probably only bowl in 4/5 over spells. 

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Packing the batting I see. But it'll not make a difference when they all end up lbw to the one that doesn't spin 
  • Options
    The form is like an 8 hour essay. Listing every country you've ever been to was my favourite bit  :D
  • Options
    England Lions 152 all out against India A
  • Options
    The form is like an 8 hour essay. Listing every country you've ever been to was my favourite bit  :D
    Then when you arrive at an Indian Airport you have to go through half a dozen queues to get out.
    Absolutely bonkers. 
    But I still intend to go back.
  • Options
    I didn't think it was that bad, certainly no different from African counties I've visited.
  • Options
    Well Stokes is fit to play but whether he can bowl remains to be seen. If he can't then our only seam option is someone who can probably only bowl in 4/5 over spells. 

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes not bowling and with Brook out and 4 keepers in the side the only part timer is Root another spinner. Does Crawley bowl anything? Odds on us asking Root to bowl seam up when we get in a pickle?
  • Options
    At least over rates shouldn't be a problem
  • Options

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes not bowling and with Brook out and 4 keepers in the side the only part timer is Root another spinner. Does Crawley bowl anything? Odds on us asking Root to bowl seam up when we get in a pickle?
    Crawley bowls offies I believe which is a complete waste of his physique! I'm hearing on the grapevine that India have decided to switch to the uncut strip and opted to play five seamers. 
  • Options
    Maybe Jonny is keeping wicket, and Ben Foakes is playing as a seam bowler...
  • Options
    edited January 25

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Crawley bowls offies I believe which is a complete waste of his physique! I'm hearing on the grapevine that India have decided to switch to the uncut strip and opted to play five seamers. 
    Classic India. They're such c***s lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (although, there's nothing to stop England changing their team right?)
  • Options

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    I'm hoping they've been drilling into him the Axar Patel saucers. Would be a great watch.
  • Options
    Hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the First XI

At stumps on first day

England Lions 152 all out off 52.4
    India A 150-0 off 32.0

• Options

At stumps on first day

India A 150-0 off 32.0

So we're two ahead after day one.  That's a victory, of sorts. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

At stumps on first day

India A 150-0 off 32.0

So we're two ahead after day one.  That's a victory, of sorts. 
    Not even up to your usual 'standard' tbh
  • Options
    So what do we think?

• Options

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes can't be fit to bowl surely.
    What's the problem with our other seam options then?
  • Options
    Most reports saying Stokes won’t be bowling. Will be very interesting if India do change to an unexpected strip. 
  • Options
    Who's up at 4am tomorrow then ?  I pay £20pm for TNT Sports so I like to get my money's worth but I think I might be struggling with this one. 

So maybe up for 7ish for the afternoon and evening sessions. 
  • Options

1. Zak Crawley
    2. Ben Duckett
    3. Ollie Pope
    4. Joe Root
    5. Jonny Bairstow
    6. Ben Stokes (C)
    7. Ben Foakes
    8. Rehan Ahmed
    9. Tom Hartley
    10. Mark Wood
    11. Jack Leach
    Stokes can't be fit to bowl surely.
    What's the problem with our other seam options then?
    I don't think that there is a problem. We just seem fixated on the fact that it will be a waste of having more than one, so much so that I could see us opening with two spinners and only Wood's express pace in short bursts as and when. Now whether having two rookie spinners instead of one plus another experienced seamer remains to be seen. India, on the other hand, can afford to have Ashwin and Jadeja, with their 500 plus wickets between them at 21 apiece since 2012,  plus two front line seamers.