Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Kimber now 234* off 118 
    Including 20 6s! Who needs T20 or the 100 to see big hitting  :D
  • Options
    Leicstershire need 19 with one wicket in hand. Needless to say, Sussex did hit 1.01 
  • Options
    Kimber chops on and Sussex win by 18 runs
  • Options
    Sussex win! Kimber chops on for 243 off Nathan McAndrew. Unbelievable match 
  • Options
    Not that I think they ever will, but if Carter or Hunt are ever picked for England, the first thing that the ECB should insist on is them removing their Australian mullets!!!
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for Robinson, in his post match interview, to tell the world how he is going to make the West Indies grovel. I doubt that he can count to 43 anyway so no harm done. 

He's genuinely looked better in the Blast than the CC. Would hope the likes of Matt Potts are involved over him Vs the Windies.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/06/29/england-jamie-smith-wicketkeeper-west-indies-series

Telegraph reporting Foakes and Bairstow to be dropped for Jamie Smith. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/06/29/england-jamie-smith-wicketkeeper-west-indies-series

Telegraph reporting Foakes and Bairstow to be dropped for Jamie Smith. 
    Big mistake in my opinion 
    Foakes should definitely get the gloves. 
    Pope on the other hand hasn't exactly been pulling up trees. 
    He scored a fantastic match winning innings in the 1st test in India I agree. 
    But for the remaining 4 tests he averages under 20.
    So far this season his scores for Surrey have been in the main very low.
    He can have no complaints is he's not picked. 
  • Options
    Have to feel sorry for Robinson, think he’d be a better option than Smith. Glad to see we’re moving away from Bairstow though. As much as I rate Foakes behind the stumps he doesn’t suit the style of play and isn’t great with the tail. I guess these tests are free hits to try out new things really. 
  • Options
    What an unflattering photo of him. At least we now know what face Mrs smith gets to see once a week and on her birthday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do the England selectors realise that there are 2 Ollie Robinsons...
  • Options
    Smith seems to be the next big thing in all formats really , alongside James Rew at Somerset. Would have had Durham's Ollie Robinson in the squad anyway for his batting form. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Smith seems to be the next big thing in all formats really , alongside James Rew at Somerset. Would have had Durham's Ollie Robinson in the squad anyway for his batting form. 

• Options
    I said on the Kent thread not that long ago that I think Foakes batting has dropped off sufficiently far that he probably shouldn't be selected. I think his best days are behind him so he will do well for Surrey but I suspect has played his last test.

Smith is good andnhas potential but isn't keeping regularly and isn't scoring as my runs as Robinson. I'd have both in the squad but Robbo first choice.
  • Options

• Options
    You have got to wonder what Robinson needs to do to be selected ? 
  • Options
    Wait for Pope to keep failing? Likeliest is that he'll eventually replace Stokes tbh
  • Options
    I'm pleased for Bashir btw. Got written off a bit but what he does is throw the ball up and ask questions. When the pitches offer turn later in the summer (which I can confirm has started happening at club level 😏) he'll be dangerous 
  • Options
    Gus Atkinson has been shocking this year. How he's got in that squad beats me?
  • Options
    I don't follow County cricket that much but I have seen that Dan Lawrence has been in the runs (as an opener ?).

Will he be picked in the starting 11 ?  I can't see the selectors breaking up the Crawley/Duckett partnership. Or can Lawrence bat elsewhere ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree. 
    He has a bit of pace but that's it.
    His control and decision making is awful. 
  • Options
    According to some experts the person to replace Jimmy Anderson is someone called Dillon Pennington. One over footage of the guy in action against another Pom in Australia - from 3:25:21 onwards. The batsman sure knows where his off stump is - or not as you will see from the first ball of the following over from the other end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWAqJIQTok&t=12541s

Rumours true then. 
  • Options
    Pennington leaves Worcs and is immediately called up...
  • Options
    Pace.  And lack of options.
  • Options
    I can only think that the omission of Ollie Robinson, the wicket keeper, is down to the ECB having a "quota" system akin to South Africa and there has to be a minimum of four Surrey players in every squad. Brilliant keeper who has the best combined average and strike rate in Division 1 whereas Jamie Smith isn't even keeping regularly. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Wait for Pope to keep failing? Likeliest is that he'll eventually replace Stokes tbh
    Ollie bowls leg spin but he is a far better keeper than leggie!
  • Options
    There's a fairly decent chance Lawrence is picked over Bashir as the spinner. That 38-run over was a very pointed act
  • Options
    Looking at the leading wicket takers in Div 1, the top spinner is Liam Dawson with 28 wickets at 25.68. Such a shame his England career never worked out, as he's probably in his prime now.
  • Options
    Looking at the leading wicket takers in Div 1, the top spinner is Liam Dawson with 28 wickets at 25.68. Such a shame his England career never worked out, as he's probably in his prime now.
    Wasn't centrally contracted, England turned to Moeen for the Ashes instead of him and he decided that, financially, it wasn't in his interests to carry the drinks anymore when other parties valued him more than England do. The folly of central contracts. Sussex's Ollie Robinson (record holder), Carse (1-294 in the CC this season), Tongue (injured), Malan (history), Fisher (two FC games this season) and Mahmood (also played two CC games this season) are all centrally contracted and probably won't play for England this season. It isn't a level playing field. Pay more players a lower "retainer" and much, much more should they be selected for an England squad with another payment on top for being in the team. 
  • Options
    Surprised to see Atkinson in the squad , I know the other quicks are either out of form or injured but what I've seen of him this season he's been poor. 

Can't say I've seen anything of Pennington so have nothing to go on with him.