Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Made up his mind not to play at It pre shot 
    Indeed - and probably got himself a bit confused as to which Pengelley brother he was facing. The one that bowled him is left arm so the ball naturally comes in with the arm whereas the other one is a right arm. 

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cz9l9xr3610o

Josh Tongue will be out for much of the summer after a setback with his pectoral injury.
  • Options
    After this round of CC matches, we will be almost half way through the County Championship and we are still in May! These are the figures to date of the three young spinners that played in India:

Shoaib Bashir:    96-20-299-4
    Tom Hartley:      60-6-178-1
    Rehan Ahmed:   60-6-259-4

So, they have 9 wickets between them at an average of 81.77. These are meant to be three of our most promising spinners and the idea of playing in the CC to learn and hone their game. It's not their fault. It's the fault of the ECB in scheduling so many matches in April/May. But McCullum and Key will, no doubt, blame the counties. 
  • Options
    As you say, @Addick Addict, it’s crazy that the County Championship is halfway already. Coupled with the lack of seamers coming into contention, it’s hard to see England bring a force in Tests, home or away, for at least five years.
  • Options
    Hopefully someone will eventually have the nouse to play proper cricket again in July and August rather than that stupid tip and run competition the authorities are in love with.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Hopefully someone will eventually have the nouse to play proper cricket again in July and August rather than that stupid tip and run competition the authorities are in love with.
    If we have to have four tournaments (and I don’t believe we should), the best solution (or least bad) solution is something like:
    50-over: April
    CC: May, June, July, Sep
    T20: Same as CC on Friday nights
    Hundred: August

The biggest downside of this is players having to switch formats week in week out but it probably maximises revenue (and beer sales) while giving proper cricket a chance to thrive. It’s not perfect but it’s better than over half the CC played in damp conditions and on wickets where spinners are redundant.
  • Options
    I also hate the way the 50 over competition has been reduced to a competition played by the Hundred "rejects". While players and administrators are sniffy about 50 over cricket now, the World Cup still counts, far more than the T20 World Cup, yet our best players don't play the format now. 

I look back to 2016 when Kent lost to Yorkshire in the QF. That Yorkshire team was packed England internationals like Root, Bairstow, Plunkett, Willey, Rashid, all key parts of the England white ball squad who would go on to great success.

• Options

England's first T20 against Pakistan at Headingley was abandoned without a ball being bowled because of rain.

Persistent, heavy rain led to the match, due to start at 18:30 BST, being called off at 17:30.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgee09q8g0po

• Options

Josh Tongue will be out for much of the summer after a setback with his pectoral injury.
    Jamie Overton has a stress fracture of the back so is also out for the summer. Wasn't exactly in the conversation but given the injuries to out and out quicks he might have been given the chance to build on his one test
  • Options
    clive said:

England's first T20 against Pakistan at Headingley was abandoned without a ball being bowled because of rain.

Persistent, heavy rain led to the match, due to start at 18:30 BST, being called off at 17:30.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgee09q8g0po

seeing as the T20 Tournament is being held in the US & the Caribbean I would have thought warm up matches would have been best played over there......not in England in May !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jamie Overton has a stress fracture of the back so is also out for the summer. Wasn't exactly in the conversation but given the injuries to out and out quicks he might have been given the chance to build on his one test
    Apart from their bowling talent, Broad and Anderson has an extraordinarily good injury record by comparison with most other England pace bowlers of their era. Even the spinner Leach has a poor injury record.
  • Options

Apart from their bowling talent, Broad and Anderson has an extraordinarily good injury record by comparison with most other England pace bowlers of their era. Even the spinner Leach has a poor injury record.
    Not so much early in their career but yeah the last 10 or so years for sure. Has coincided with them playing less cricket. 
  • Options
    Very promising comeback from Ben Stokes - in three innings since his return to bowling in the CC he has taken 11 wickets
  • Options
    Very promising comeback from Ben Stokes - in three innings since his return to bowling in the CC he has taken 11 wickets
    Yeah, but um...his main job... 
  • Options
    WTF is going on with the Pakistan Wicket Keeper in this first T20???? Looks like a fat bloke from the pub won a competition to play!
  • Options
    WTF is going on with the Pakistan Wicket Keeper in this first T20???? Looks like a fat bloke from the pub won a competition to play!
    I'd love to answer this with something other than 'his dad was a Pakistan wicketkeeper' but I'm afraid that is in fact the answer 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'd love to answer this with something other than 'his dad was a Pakistan wicketkeeper' but I'm afraid that is in fact the answer 
    What was the name of the West Indian player a few years ago.
    Who also had an ample midriff. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Let's not have any Rahkeem Cornwall slander please
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Let's not have any Rahkeem Cornwall slander please
    Lol.
    I liked him too. 
  • Options
    To be fair Babar Azam asked the selectors for a keeper who would gobble everything up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair Babar Azam asked the selectors for a keeper who would gobble everything up.
    You also have to understand how Pakistan works. If the Flintoffs were Pakistani, Rocky would have already played a T20I
  • Options
    No side would beat this team of heavyweights (there wouldn't be many volunteers for the role of boundary rider):

W G Grace
    Tantrums and brilliance why WG Grace was the first modern sportsman   Cricket  The Guardian

David Boon
    Balanced Sports My Favourite Cricketer David Boon by Jimi Stephens

Colin Millburn
    North-East History Tour Colin Milburn  An Indomitable Spirit NZ172569

Mark Cosgove
    Sir Mark Cosgrove

Inzamam-ul-Haq
    When Inzamam-ul-Haq almost smashed a provocative spectators head with a  bat - Cricket Country

Rakheem Cornwall
    Rahkeem Cornwall pictured here batting for West Indies against England

Azam Khan
    DJ Plays Big Shows WWE Music As Azam Khan Comes Out To Bat During Third  T20I vs New Zealand Internet Left Fuming - Watch  Cricket News

Jesse Ryder
    3 Jesse Ryder knocks that showed how exciting a talent he was

Dwayne Leverock
    Dwayne Leverock Profile - Cricket Player Bermuda  Stats Records Video

Merv Hughes
    Merv Hughes Profile - Cricket Player Australia  Stats Records Video

Eddo Brandes 
    Zero off zero

• Options
    This warm up series is turning into a real damp squib for both teams, with game 1 washed out, game 3 today in Cardiff looking damp and game 4 at the Oval on Thursday also looking at risk.
  • Options
    This warm up series is turning into a real damp squib for both teams, with game 1 washed out, game 3 today in Cardiff looking damp and game 4 at the Oval on Thursday also looking at risk.
    And the tournament is being played in the US & Caribbean. Should be out there aclimatising & playing warm up matches.
  • Options
    .golfaddick said:
    And the tournament is being played in the US & Caribbean. Should be out there aclimatising & playing warm up matches.
    You mean Birmingham in May isn't the same as Barbados?
  • Options
    edited May 30
    England have won the toss & will bowl in tonight's T20 game at The Oval, which starts in 15 minutes [18.30]

England: Phil Salt, Jos Buttler (c & wk), Will Jacks, Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Chris Jordan, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood.

Pakistan: Mohammad Rizwan, Babar Azam (c), Usman Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Shadab Khan, Azam Khan (wk), Iftikhar Ahmed, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Amir, Naseem Shah.

Note that this match is also being broadcast live on BBC2 as well as SKY Sports.
  • Options
    Adil Rashid has been such a good bowler for England in white ball games. 
  • Options
    Jordan is one hell of a fielder 
    Possibly England's best ever. Yes, Derek Randall relative to the standards of his own era maybe, but overall? Really might be. Collingwood can play too