Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'm wondering if this could be the last we see of Robinson in the test side? Woakes will obviously come back in for the summer and the likes of Tounge, Potts and Mahmood will all be available too maybe even a look at Carse or Sam Cook? 

I do think that will be the case. The fact that they only gave him a one year CC in October when Wood was given three years and the likes of Archer, Carse, Atkinson, Potts, Tongue and Woakes received two years was indicative that this was a "kick up the backside". 

Yeah I can't see a way he stays a regular , doesn't perform on the pitch and seems a liability off it , I don't think whatever he said on his podcast about the break to Abu Dhabi will have endeared him to the ECB along with the fitness issues . Think we've got plenty of options in the pace stocks that he's not a huge miss. 

I think he'll still play the odd Test, with Wood and Anderson being managed carefully, and no Broad now.

Definitely behind Woakes at home obviously, and possibly Tongue, Atkinson, but I can still see the bowler rotation meaning he's kept around for now.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I'd like that to be the last time we see Bairstow in the Test team, but of course he has 2 home series against WI and SL to look imperious in.
    Shamar Joseph won't sort him out, eh
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'm wondering if this could be the last we see of Robinson in the test side? Woakes will obviously come back in for the summer and the likes of Tounge, Potts and Mahmood will all be available too maybe even a look at Carse or Sam Cook? 

I do think that will be the case. The fact that they only gave him a one year CC in October when Wood was given three years and the likes of Archer, Carse, Atkinson, Potts, Tongue and Woakes received two years was indicative that this was a "kick up the backside". 

Yeah I can't see a way he stays a regular , doesn't perform on the pitch and seems a liability off it , I don't think whatever he said on his podcast about the break to Abu Dhabi will have endeared him to the ECB along with the fitness issues . Think we've got plenty of options in the pace stocks that he's not a huge miss. 

I think he'll still play the odd Test, with Wood and Anderson being managed carefully, and no Broad now.

Definitely behind Woakes at home obviously, and possibly Tongue, Atkinson, but I can still see the bowler rotation meaning he's kept around for now.
    Does Jimmy need much managing? Two well spaced apart 3 match series against poor opposition, and it's not as if we're saving him for an Ashes tour as that's not for 18 months.

The quick at the other end will be rotated though, which doesn't help Robinson.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I'd like that to be the last time we see Bairstow in the Test team, but of course he has 2 home series against WI and SL to look imperious in.
    Although we will have to find a place for Brook. The absolute wrong thing to do would be to drop Pope and keep Bairstow.

Brook in for Foakes obvs ….
  • Options
    edited March 9
    Looking to the future, I'd be interested to see If the Durham keeper Ollie Robinson (ex Kent) could be given a chance.
    He looks a terrific young player and it makes sense to start blooding some young talent with an eye to the future.
  • Options
    edited March 11
    Looking to the future, I'd be interested to see If the Durham keeper Ollie Robinson (ex Kent) could be given a chance.
    He looks a terrific young player and it makes sense to start blooding some young talent with an eye to the future.

From an article on Cricinfo about that very subject:

While Bairstow, who brought up 100 caps in the fifth Test, could reprise the role he performed last summer, now may be the time to move on from the Yorkshireman and blood a new option, whether that is Ollie Robinson (Durham), Jamie Smith (Surrey) or James Rew (Somerset).

"We've got time to be able to work out what we want moving forward," answered McCullum when asked if Bairstow, Foakes or a new challenger will take the gloves this summer. "I don't really need to go into that anymore.

"I think Foakes has kept brilliantly here, and obviously Jonny had a decent series with the bat in the Ashes as well, so there are good options and we've just got to make sure we make the decision that we feel gives us the most amount of - I guess - weaponry to be able to ensure that we are able to go toe-to-toe with the best teams in the world and we'll make that decision in time."

Runs/Averages/strike rate in last season's CC:

Robinson (Div 2) - 931/58.18/88.16
    Smith (Div 1) - 736/40.88/65.30
    Rew (Div 1) - 1086/57.15 @ 50.04

So Smith and Rew scored their runs in Div 1, unlike Robinson, but that the latter's strike rate screams "Bazball". We have a level playing field this season with all three playing in Div 1 and with no Test until July I believe there is plenty of time for any of the three to stake their claims. There is a bit of an issue for Smith though and that is that he probably won't even have the gloves at Surrey. Last season Foakes had 56 dismissals and Smith just 9 catches which were probably all in the outfield.

I would have Robinson all day long but then it's probably best to ignore my opinion given I have known the lad since he was born and am openly biased (although warning Kent more than two years ago that they were backing the wrong horse (s) and risked losing him proved correct). Those first three months in the CC will, probably, prove crucial though my fear is that we will go backwards and pick Bairstow who is probably the fifth best gloveman of the five. 

• Options
    edited March 11
    One stat that does rather confirm that we are about to go through a massive transitional period is the bowling. These are the bowling stats (Tests/Wickets/Average) of our top wicket takers under McCullum:

Stuart Broad (15/67/26.67) - retired
    James Anderson (18/60/25.91) - a legend but, at 41, how much longer can he go for?
    Jack Leach (14/47/38.63) - constant illness and injury issues and he's not the future anyway
    Ollie Robinson (11/37/24.64) - injury and attitude issues (no wickets taken in any form of the game since last June)
    Mark Wood (8/26/29.11) - having to be "managed" for the games he plays
    Ben Stokes (23/24/31.08) - 5 overs bowled in the last Test but will he be fit enough to be utilised as that fifth bowler again?
    Matthew Potts (6/23/29.26) - rookie
    Joe Root (23/23/44.43) - part timer
    Tom Hartley (5/22/36.13) - rookie
    Chris Woakes (3/19/18.15) - injuries and only being selected when there is a perceived benefit of having him in the side have been an issue. Just 3/23 Tests played under McCullum
    Rehan Ahmed (4/18/34.5) - rookie
    Shoaib Bashir (3/17/33.15) - rookie
  • Options
    edited March 11
    Do England need to part ways with Bazz, to move forwards without a strict diet of Bazzball?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Although we will have to find a place for Brook. The absolute wrong thing to do would be to drop Pope and keep Bairstow.

Pope proved with that massive, match winning score on a difficult wicket that he can do it.  Equally, if each and every one of our top six had played an innings of that proportion then we would not have lost this series. Pope is technically sound but seems to allow nerves to get the better of him early doors causing everything to look somewhat frenetic. I do, actually, think that he has become a victim of Bazball in the same way that Root was - the difference is that Root has an inherent understanding of what made him so good and has something to refer back to. Giving a player "freedom to express themselves" is fine but until Pope consistently gets big scores at international level against top attacks he won't have that belief. It's a "chicken and egg" situation.  
    The vice captain (I think) looking nervous every time he bats isn't exactly a good trait for a test match no 3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would it now not be time for Root to move to 3? I know the arguments around this, but with Root's experience and know how moving him up now would give Pope the opportunity to play in his natural batting position. It's a nod to the future if Pope really is deemed to be our next captain 
  • Options
    Would it now not be time for Root to move to 3? I know the arguments around this, but with Root's experience and know how moving him up now would give Pope the opportunity to play in his natural batting position. It's a nod to the future if Pope really is deemed to be our next captain 
    Root is no longer coming from the same position of strength he once had so far as that is concerned. He's no longer captain and isn't regarded now as a top white ball player. The question is whether Stokes, as his best mate, has the resolution to put pressure on Root to take the job.

As to Pope I don't think batting at 3 is the issue. I just think, like Root was doing, he's trying to be someone else when he bats. Early doors, he is far too frenetic and "jumpy" but make no mistake about one thing. That innings won us that Test. That is what McCullum is looking for. That innings of 196 took place in a game that we won by just 28 runs. The pitch wasn't a "road" either - only one England batsman reached 50 in the match and no other player, from either side, hit a ton. If all of our top six had hit 196 in one innings then we would not have lost the series. So the talent is there. It's what's between the ears and his shot selection that is the issue. If he can sort that then we have a batsman for the next decade be that at 3 or 4. 
  • Options
    I see Jason Roy has withdrawn from the IPL due to "personal reasons" thus relinquishing £150,000. He is replaced by Phil Salt. 
  • Options
    NZ will be gutted to lose the 2nd Test, after they had Australia 80-5, chasing 279 to win. Marsh got 80, and Carey 98 not out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216280
  • Options
    NZ will be gutted to lose the 2nd Test, after they had Australia 80-5, chasing 279 to win. Marsh got 80, and Carey 98 not out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1216280
    Carey took 10 catches in the match too. I'm a massive fan of NZ cricket but that has been somewhat tainted by the Scott Kuggeleijn saga. For those that aren't aware of why, this article tells all:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/what-did-the-juries-hear-in-the-scott-kuggeleijn-case/XC33KFH5YCPTXSMZIYIBJFPTEI/
  • Options
    Didn't realise that the Kiwis have not won a home test against Australia for 31 years 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68533187

England batter Harry Brook has made the "difficult decision" to withdraw from this year's Indian Premier League following the death of his grandmother.
    The Yorkshireman, 25, was set to play for Delhi Capitals after being bought for £380,000 in December.
    Brook missed England's recent 4-1 Test series defeat in India after his grandmother first became ill.
  • Options
    Saw some amazing stats on the BBC online page for the India tour. First time for over a hundred years that over 10 innings (5 tests) England didn't have 2 players scoring 50+ in a single innings. 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I think to the surprise of no one , Will Pucovski isn't joining Leicestershire as planned and is staying in Australia to sort out his concussion issues.

https://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/news/will-pucovski-deal-cancelled-after-concussion-blow
  • Options
    ECB - couldn't organise............. 

Anyone connected to club cricket who received an email about their "flagship" programmes will understand what I mean by that. Those at the ECB are paid to do what they do. Volunteers at clubs aren't but it is those very people at the coal face that will have to sort out the mess.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The above 
  • Options
    edited March 14
    Well that's Buttler back in the side then! If that does happen then it really will prove that this regime is nothing but "jobs for the boys"

Jos Buttler has revealed he has "no real ambitions" to return to Test cricket and suggested "the kids on TikTok and Instagram aren't watching" it.

Buttler, England's limited-overs captain, admits the environment created by Brendon McCullum and Ben Stokes around England Test set-up looks "really attractive". But, on the brink of a new IPL season and with a T20 World Cup to follow it, Buttler says he is "fully focused on white-ball cricket".

"I've no real [Test] ambitions at the minute," said Buttler, while appearing at The 108 for a baseball masterclass ahead of the MLB World Tour: London Series. "I am just really fully focused on white-ball cricket and all the stuff I am doing there, captaining England in that format.

"You never say never to anything, but I've had no communication with anyone to talk about red-ball cricket."

• Options
    Good Test teams have no more than one weakness and two good wicket takers. I think the current England has performed better than the sum of its parts since Stokes took over. However, we have too many vulnerabilities that are not improving right now. This summer might bring two series wins but we are too flimsy for my liking.
  • Options
    Good news possibly for Tom Hartley, that Nathan Lyon's stay at Lancashire will be shorter than planned, as the Aussies want to restrict his workload. Instead of the whole season, it'll be just for 7 CC matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68673723
  • Options
    Is there a more useless institution in sport than the ECB?

Last month they announced that the equipment used by clubs and those youngsters under the All Stars and Dynamos is potentially dangerous to children. Now they have informed us that they have been hacked and anyone that uses the icoachcricket system is potentially vulnerable to the hackers having access to their accounts including passwords.

As these things usually come in threes, one wonders what the third thing that will impact on the game at grassroot level? 
  • Options
    Harry Brook is currently playing in a warm up game for Yorkshire against Durham. He's obviously thinks that he's gone to the IPL after all because he's currently on 74* off 42 balls including 10 fours and 4 sixes. Some of the shots he's played are absolutely extraordinary. For anyone who would like to view them, they are here:

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/?tab=m_scorecard#m59bac09c-91b1-4e65-b100-5b381520971b
  • Options
    Harry Brook is currently playing in a warm up game for Yorkshire against Durham. He's obviously thinks that he's gone to the IPL after all because he's currently on 74* off 42 balls including 10 fours and 4 sixes. Some of the shots he's played are absolutely extraordinary. For anyone who would like to view them, they are here:

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/?tab=m_scorecard#m59bac09c-91b1-4e65-b100-5b381520971b
    Was thinking 'normal Harry Brook', then got to the back-foot cover drive for six. Off the spinner 
  • Options
    edited April 1
    Sri Lanka just set the record for the highest innings total without a player reaching three figures. Scores of 93, 86, 70 and 92 n/o helped make up their innings total of 531 all out.

Previous record held by India who scored 542/9 against New Zealand in 1976.
  • Options
    Sri Lanka just set the record for the highest innings total without a player reaching three figures. Scores of 93, 86, 70 and 92 n/o helped make up their innings total of 531 all out.

Previous record held by India who scored 542/9 against New Zealand in 1976.
    But 531 is less than 542, so they didnt break the record. 
  • Options
    524 he means