Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Harris Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited January 6
    A really top drawer signing if we get it over the line. Assuming Dobbo and CBT leave, all we need is 8 more players to be serious promotion contenders. 

May and JCH up top, get a manager in who likes 2 up front and let him build a team around these two, guaranteed to go up as they'll get at least 40 between them over the course of a season
  • Options
    Struggling to understand the business logic of this for both us and him tbh. 
  • Options
    A front line next season of JCH and May should be superb. If we still have them then Leaburn or Aneke off the bench and that would be better than anything else in L1.  Get JCH in. He won't sort all our problems but he would be a big part of a jigsaw.  
    We'd definitely have the best striker options in league one. Only issue is if (as i expect) CBT goes we have no decent wingers or a creative midfielder to provide chances for them.
  • Options
    We need a 'bullyboy' striker, who can hold the ball up, take pressure off our defence, put pressure ON the opposition defence, link up with May and score goals themselves.
    To me JCH would be perfect, if only for the rest of this season and next. 
    If he can come in this week with a new CB and those 2 midfielders we just signed (albeit we don't know how good/fit they are), perhaps we have a chance of getting crowds back by winning matches? 
    Or perhaps I just need to go and lie down...again! 😂
  • Options
    Another striker is a must as we need 5 goals to win a game with the Under 12’s defending that we watch on a regular basis

No problem spending decent money on him provided we have enough left this window to bring in a couple of defenders 
  • Options
    him maybe but not us - a new centre forward is the nr 1 priority in my book and he is the number 1 target 
  • Options
    Unless he can play in goal, defence, midfield or as a winger , I am not sure why we are buying him 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    him maybe but not us - a new centre forward is the nr 1 priority in my book and he is the number 1 target 
    I agree he would be a great addition, but have you seen us defending recently?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 7
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I agree he would be a great addition, but have you seen us defending recently?  
    The defence are more exposed than they should be due to not having a striker who can hold up the ball and weaknesses in midfield.

It’s not a coincidence our best results were when Leaburn and Aneke were both available, and our worst were without either of them.

Our defending won’t improve if all we do is bring in new defenders. We need to strengthen all over the pitch.
    I agree the whole unit needs to improve. But for me, that does also include the defence.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Got a positive feeling that we will get this one done.

Cue the "Couldn't get it over the line" Comms.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

It will be funded by CBT going .  He will do well to be as impactful as CBT has been this season - can’t see who will be getting the ball to him.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

It will be funded by CBT going .  He will do well to be as impactful as CBT has been this season - can’t see who will be getting the ball to him.
    This. The linkup between back 4 and midfield, and midfield and front 1,2,3 is truly awful. Doesn't matter if we have Messi up and Zlatan up front, if they never get the ball. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

Well if it’s funded by CBT departing it’ll get done then won’t it ? 
  • Options
    As I've said in the past , i have a couple of fanatical Peterborough fans as friends , both of who don't know each other and both say they will pay for the taxi or drive Clarke Harris to Charlton themselves which i just don't understand looking at his goal scoring record ( one in two) . They both say he's incredibly lazy but he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. If we do sign him , and i'm not convinced he'll accept personal terms yet , then i think he might be one of those players who divides opinions but i think if he plays the number 9 role with Alfie May behind him in the number 10 role doing the donkey work , it could work well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Unless he can play in goal, defence, midfield or as a winger , I am not sure why we are buying him 
    We wouldn’t buy anyone ever again if that were the requirement!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Find find it fascinating how we all watch the same game but there are so many who see things differently.

JCH is a goal scorer in this league and with May, the two should be getting 40+ a season. But it’s not just about the goals. It’s the profile of the team and how signing someone who plays regularly, can hold the ball and be a threat to opponents whilst providing players like May an extra yard or two of space suddenly makes us a better team as the defence can get off our own 18 yard line, the midfield can push up too, and we don’t have the constant pressure late in games that we ultimately concede because we don’t have the ability to sit and soak it up.

Would love to spend the time working out the stats of scoring and conceding late goals with and without a striker like JCH, Aneke etc who can hold the ball. The last month or so we haven’t had a player who can, we’ve conceded so many. I would bet the stats would be very different if we did and what they are when we have.

Really hope it can all be sorted quickly because we need as many quality players in and available from now as the run we have is too big for us to be playing the amount of youngsters we have been.

If JCH has half the impact that Aneke had on this team he'll be an amazing signing. That said I'm still not confident it's going to happen. I don't see why JCH would run his contract down and then throw away his leverage for a huge big pay day by signing for us. We just don't make sense either financially or from a career progression perspective.
  • Options
    Edun is not good enough. T Watson is probably not good enough. That is our priority but we must also acknowledge that JCH will make us a better side and would be a good signing, unless you are limited to signing one player.
  • Options
    There is clearly worked needed  all over the pitch but I think JCH would be a great signing at this level and money spent more than half of League 1 teams can only dream of spending so I can only see it as a positive if he signs.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

Based on his positive feeling, clear to read in black and white

it will be funded by CBT going!!!! Same question back at you, based on what? It's not history under this ownership. As far as I remember, this ownership have not funded a purchase with a sale!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Find find it fascinating how we all watch the same game but there are so many who see things differently.

JCH is a goal scorer in this league and with May, the two should be getting 40+ a season. But it’s not just about the goals. It’s the profile of the team and how signing someone who plays regularly, can hold the ball and be a threat to opponents whilst providing players like May an extra yard or two of space suddenly makes us a better team as the defence can get off our own 18 yard line, the midfield can push up too, and we don’t have the constant pressure late in games that we ultimately concede because we don’t have the ability to sit and soak it up.

Would love to spend the time working out the stats of scoring and conceding late goals with and without a striker like JCH, Aneke etc who can hold the ball. The last month or so we haven’t had a player who can, we’ve conceded so many. I would bet the stats would be very different if we did and what they are when we have.

Really hope it can all be sorted quickly because we need as many quality players in and available from now as the run we have is too big for us to be playing the amount of youngsters we have been.

If JCH has half the impact that Aneke had on this team he'll be an amazing signing. That said I'm still not confident it's going to happen. I don't see why JCH would run his contract down and then throw away his leverage for a huge big pay day by signing for us. We just don't make sense either financially or from a career progression perspective.
    As much as JCH could have more suitors in the summer, I’m sure it’s not lost on players like him that he’s one training session, one game or even one accident at home, from a possible injury that could see him unemployed at the end of the season. 
  • Options
    A sticky CF will relieve the ball headed back in our penalty area’s direction every other minute. A small mercy, but we need this type of attribute in the team as the perennially injured and unlucky Chuks is the only other player in our squad capable of such a style of play. It will defo help us, including reducing the oppo’s possession %age stats and this player has a decent eye for goal to boot. Was against him joining pre-season as I very naively thought we were in for better quality than him, but now we have a better steer, he is undoubtedly the best we can get for around £500k alongside his track record. A million miles better than Tedic for starters! 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Very astute post as ever Sage.

I totally agree with this, and although I’m not happy with Appleton as an appointment, it is why I am at least not joining the baying mob at the moment.

Our biggest issue for me is the unbalanced team, and as you mention lacking players with the right overall profile for a successful team. Whilst I think individually we have some talented players, overall they just don’t all fit into any sort of coherent and competitive system. We just have holes all over the park, and right through the spine of the team. 
  • Options
    A sticky CF will relieve the ball headed back in our penalty area’s direction every other minute. A small mercy, but we need this type of attribute in the team as the perennially injured and unlucky Chuks is the only other player in our squad capable of such a style of play. It will defo help us, including reducing the oppo’s possession %age stats and this player has a decent eye for goal to boot. Was against him joining pre-season as I very naively thought we were in for better quality than him, but now we have a better steer, he is undoubtedly the best we can get for around £500k alongside his track record. A million miles better than Tedic for starters! 
    I totally agree with this but the sad thing is, if Man City sell tedic this window (I can see him moving abroad) I bet they get more than £500k
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    For me this shows a lack of ambition from JCH and another expensive mistake from us, why when he can leave on a free and negotiate a whopper contract at the end of the season would you sign for a shitshow-gonowhere club in January.  He's only going to entertain us if we've offered him a stupid contract and he's not confident that a championship club will be interested in him come May so he's just gonna take the money and fuck it...
    As weird as posts go this is right up there at the top of the list.🤔🫤