Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clarke Harris Thread

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Got a positive feeling that we will get this one done.

Cue the "Couldn't get it over the line" Comms.
    Based on what ?

It will be funded by CBT going .  He will do well to be as impactful as CBT has been this season - can’t see who will be getting the ball to him.

Based on his positive feeling, clear to read in black and white

it will be funded by CBT going!!!! Same question back at you, based on what? It's not history under this ownership. As far as I remember, this ownership have not funded a purchase with a sale!

That’s the ownership that talked about signing strong and durable players and have lumbered us with crocks . I admire your faith, I really do .
  • Struggling to understand the business logic of this for both us and him tbh. 
    In what sense @Weegie Addick ? Would be interested to read you thoughts expanded. 
    Peterboro in contention for promotion - is he ambitious to help them get to Championship? Either earn himself a better contract there or elsewhere at the end of the season? 

From our pov best part of £500K is a lot to shell out now when we would probably have more options come the summer. It’s not as though he’ll help us get into the playoffs this season as that ship has sailed. 

Goes back to what Curbishley has said at times - look at our situation, what type of player will sign for us now? Most likely only those who are primarily motivated by the money. 

Obviously I don’t know all the ins and outs and my view may be somewhat coloured by not being at all impressed by his effort / contribution against us earlier this season when I thought he looked rather slow, cumbersome and not really up for it. We need hungry players with something to prove imo. 
    I agree that there would probably be better options in the summer, and a £500k transfer fee should get you access to some very decent options at this level. The issue is that I have limited faith that our recruitment is good enough to identify & sign a better player. So if the choice is JCH now, or roll the dice in the summer, I’ll take JCH now. 

As I’ve said before though, I still don’t have much faith that we’ll actually complete this deal. 
  • I don’t quite agree that we are relegation fodder…well not when we get our players returning from injury (Alfie would have added to his tally yesterday as PV defence was as bad as ours). I’m still optimistic for next season and I have to say reaching the playoffs this season (I’ve had too much sun and vino). 
  • Sage said:
    Excellent @Twizzle

So in summary, in 13 games with a striker who can hold the ball, we have picked up 23 points and May has scored 12 goals whilst we have not conceded a single late goal.

In the 12 without, we’ve picked up 7 points, May’s scored 3 goals and we have conceded 9 late goals costing us 11 points. Meaning we’d be 2 points outside the play offs without them.

Sure the defence isn’t great at all and overall we aren’t a top side. But as I thought, having a striker in that role is so, so important for us.
    And it was shown in our recent promotion seasons too. Our best hold up strikers in recent history were Kermorgant and Taylor.
  • Solidgone said:
    I don’t quite agree that we are relegation fodder…well not when we get our players returning from injury (Alfie would have added to his tally yesterday as PV defence was as bad as ours). I’m still optimistic for next season and I have to say reaching the playoffs this season (I’ve had too much sun and vino). 

• Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:
    redbuttle said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

It will be funded by CBT going .  He will do well to be as impactful as CBT has been this season - can’t see who will be getting the ball to him.
    Why will it be funded by the sale of CBT?
    Presumably because no one expects these owners to pull £450k out of their pockets (even if it is in instalments).
    What about letting Fraser go.
  • edited January 7
    Struggling to understand the business logic of this for both us and him tbh. 
    In what sense @Weegie Addick ? Would be interested to read you thoughts expanded. 
    Peterboro in contention for promotion - is he ambitious to help them get to Championship? Either earn himself a better contract there or elsewhere at the end of the season? 

From our pov best part of £500K is a lot to shell out now when we would probably have more options come the summer. It’s not as though he’ll help us get into the playoffs this season as that ship has sailed. 

Goes back to what Curbishley has said at times - look at our situation, what type of player will sign for us now? Most likely only those who are primarily motivated by the money. 

Obviously I don’t know all the ins and outs and my view may be somewhat coloured by not being at all impressed by his effort / contribution against us earlier this season when I thought he looked rather slow, cumbersome and not really up for it. We need hungry players with something to prove imo. 
    It seems to me that he's been up for sale for at least a couple of windows and the only clubs willing to meet the asking price are in League One (us and Gas) as far as I know.

I do think Championship clubs might be interested in the summer, but that's not guaranteed, and as others have pointed out he is one injury away from losing that interest.

He's clearly a proven forward at this level, but it might be something like with BWP where is doesn't translate to the next level. With BWP there were more glaring signs (a poacher who didn't have a great touch and didn't contribute much from open play). I'm more surprised that it hadn't happen for JCH, but you just never know.

As I and others have said before, players like him aren't available every window, especially forwards who can score and help with the press and build up play and who are mobile.

We don't know if Miles will still be here next season, and we have to assume he'll move on at some point. We know Chuks' abilities and limitations. We know we can't build a forward line around May alone.

In the summer I thought he's a good player we were interested in but there were more pressing needs. There are still pressing needs, but Daniel Kanu has started the last five or six games, and we're three center forwards lighter now than on September 1st.

It's also somewhat insurance for losing CBT. I don't necessarily think selling CBT will fund JCH, I think that's what selling Miles will do. But IF we do lose CBT, either now or in the summer, JCH allows us to transition to two up top quite seamlessly. That will suit May well as well.

I'd much rather a front line of JCH, May, and CBT, that will guarantee goals and it's a forward line capable of pressing and burning teams on the break, but if we can't do that you can see the pieces falling into place for a 3-5-2, which ironically is where we were last summer until we realized all our creativity was out wide and playing CBT at LWB doesn't get the best out of him. 

• redbuttle said:
    JaShea99 said:
    redbuttle said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

Presumably because no one expects these owners to pull £450k out of their pockets (even if it is in instalments).
    I think the reason Fraser would have suitors is because they felt they could get a talented player on the cheap. 

He was very good last season and has been bang out of form this year, but I don't know that selling him now achieves all that much. Maybe, maybe a loan but I don't know what wages we'd get back.

I think getting rid right now would be a massive case of hitting the panic button based on a couple of months of bad form for a player who has played well a lot at this level. 

• SDAddick said:
    redbuttle said:
    JaShea99 said:
    redbuttle said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

I think the reason Fraser would have suitors is because they felt they could get a talented player on the cheap. 

He was very good last season and has been bang out of form this year, but I don't know that selling him now achieves all that much. Maybe, maybe a loan but I don't know what wages we'd get back.

I think getting rid right now would be a massive case of hitting the panic button based on a couple of months of bad form for a player who has played well a lot at this level. 

He's been poor all season, so far.
  • edited January 7
    redbuttle said:
    SDAddick said:
    redbuttle said:
    JaShea99 said:
    redbuttle said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Based on what ?

He's been poor all season, so far.
    Right but he missed, six weeks with injury and went about 10 weeks between league starts from Aug  5 to Oct 24 away to Lincoln. Was poor that day, thought he was decent against Carlisle and in one other game but poor surrounding that. So poor for around two months, two and a half of you want to say he's been poor the entire time he's been back.

The other problem is that selling Fraser would leave us with four loaner central midfielders, Dobbo who is out of contract in the summer, and Anderson who needs a loan himself. 
  • edited January 7
    SDAddick said:

It seems to me that he's been up for sale for at least a couple of windows and the only clubs willing to meet the asking price are in League One (us and Gas) as far as I know.

I do think Championship clubs might be interested in the summer, but that's not guaranteed, and as others have pointed out he is one injury away from losing that interest.

He's clearly a proven forward at this level, but it might be something like with BWP where is doesn't translate to the next level. With BWP there were more glaring signs (a poacher who didn't have a great touch and didn't contribute much from open play). I'm more surprised that it hadn't happen for JCH, but you just never know.

As I and others have said before, players like him aren't available every window, especially forwards who can score and help with the press and build up play and who are mobile.

We don't know if Miles will still be here next season, and we have to assume he'll move on at some point. We know Chuks' abilities and limitations. We know we can't build a forward line around May alone.

In the summer I thought he's a good player we were interested in but there were more pressing needs. There are still pressing needs, but Daniel Kanu has started the last five or six games, and we're three center forwards lighter now than on September 1st.

It's also somewhat insurance for losing CBT. I don't necessarily think selling CBT will fund JCH, I think that's what selling Miles will do. But IF we do lose CBT, either now or in the summer, JCH allows us to transition to two up top quite seamlessly. That will suit May well as well.

I'd much rather a front line of JCH, May, and CBT, that will guarantee goals and it's a forward line capable of pressing and burning teams on the break, but if we can't do that you can see the pieces falling into place for a 3-5-2, which ironically is where we were last summer until we realized all our creativity was out wide and playing CBT at LWB doesn't get the best out of him. 

JCH had a season in the Championship (21/22) with Posh in which he scored 12 in 32 starts and 9 sub apps. A fairly good scoring record in a relegation team.
  • Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:

JCH had a season in the Championship (21/22) with Posh in which he scored 12 in 32 starts and 9 sub apps. A fairly good scoring record in a relegation team.
    Right and he played in the Championship for Rotherham earlier in his career (drew a pen and scored it against us the year we went down), I'm just saying that right now it doesn't seem like there are Championship clubs willing to meet the asking price. 
  • Have a feeling this isn’t going to happen.
    Probably the perpetual CAFC cycle of disappointment. But wouldn’t he have signed by now if he was up for it?
    Feels like they’re fishing for other offers.
  • sam3110 said:

That says a lot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Have a feeling this isn’t going to happen.
    Probably the perpetual CAFC cycle of disappointment. But wouldn’t he have signed by now if he was up for it?
    Don't think that's the case this time. His agent wants higher wages for the player apparently. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

Fergie Jr confirming fee agreed and it's down to personal terms 

Certainly sounds like we are front runners. Hopefully they can settle on terms sooner rather than later.

Cheers for the effort @Twizzle despite how confusing it looks on the phone version of CL

Pretty much confirms to me which I've always thought, that the loss of Chuks is where it all went wrong. Such a bloody good player when avaliable, shame he's so injury prone. 
    How many points do you think we’ve lost without Chuks?
  • edited January 7
    MarcusH26 said:

If 10k is what has been offered as Dubai said? I will be gobsmacked. That's a very high wage for a league 1 player and quite the gamble, as much as I rate Clarke-Harris 

Have we ever paid anyone that type of money outside the prem? I know JBG, Vetokele and Teixeira were on decent wages, can't think of many others who have been on 10k plus a week..
  • He is very nearly 30 and his next deal with whatever club will almost certainly be his last chance to make it a big one to set him up for his after football life. We shouldn't be held to ransom in our possible panic to improve the playing staff
    I have mentioned umpteen times on here my seeing him play often for Rotherham when as a much younger man he ran very hot and cold and was regarded as a sulker. It seems he fell out with then Manager Steve Evans and move on (eventually) Bristol Rovers then Posh where his scoring record was excellent. I do wonder if his desire to move is as a result of falling out with another manager, inference being that he can be a difficult man to deal with.

IF IF he comes to us I suggest he could be one of two opposite extremes, either a great success or a total flop .. I wonder if we will ever find out ?
  • MarcusH26 said:

If 10k is what has been offered as Dubai said? I will be gobsmacked. That's a very high wage for a league 1 player and quite the gamble, as much as I rate Clarke-Harris 

Have we ever paid anyone that type of money outside the prem? I know JBG, Vetokele and Teixeira were on decent wages, can't think of many others who have been on 10k plus a week..
    Sarr was rumoured to be on a very high wage.
  • Cousins would have been on a decent wage when he signed his last contract with us summer 2015
  • Valley11 said:
    Have a feeling this isn’t going to happen.
    Would he? It sounds like the bid has only recently been accepted. Doesn’t seem unreasonable for agreeing personal terms to take a few days.