Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Office Horizon scandal

Comments

• Options
    I've almost finished reading the book by Nick Wallis, which inspired the ITV drama and I find it incredible that The Post Office was still spending huge sums of money fighting in the courts, when it knew that the actions taken against sub postmasters were unsafe.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^ happy to spend as much tax payers money as it took to cover their arses
  • Options
    Post Office Inquiry summing up from the current module currently live on You Tube, recommend listening if you can. 

• Options
    Adjourned now until 9th April when next phase starts.
  • Options
  • Options
    REALLY dragging this out hoping the outrage will die down
  • Options
    I know the legal system moves slowly but unless there is a really good reason for this, the delay seems unfathomable.
  • Options
    REALLY dragging this out hoping the outrage will die down
    I don't think so. This is just how long these things take. 

Don't forget it the enquiry started before the TV programme - and the elevation of the issue in the public mind - and it will have a proper timetable and schedule in place so they can give people sufficient time and warning to keep dates free, etc.

Of course, whether these things SHOULD take so long is a different question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The judge said that they will combine the next 2 modules which will actually shorten the time. The gap is needed to work through the files. The final section will be in September.

• Options
    edited March 29
    Every single postmaster and postmistress affected should have had every penny of losses and every penny of compensation paid in full by now.
    Reporters have to dig and investigate every angle to get the hidden truth and it takes years. The authorities have had years to investigate and explore every single claim, so those affected should get their money immediately, but no amount of mere money can compensate for their suffering.
    The message is never to take anything downloaded to you from any person or institution in ‘authority’ on trust, always be suspicious, always question everything from politicians, from those who say get a smart meter to those who take control of your football club.

• Options
    I noticed this was a draft report.
    So who saw it and why did it not become a final report? And if it did then who received a copy and what did they do with it?
    There are so many people that need to be brought to account for their decisions.
    I get the impression that this draft report was not disclosed to the public inquiry. It's just scandalous. 
    This definitely needs a police investigation.

• Options
    edited March 29
    So who saw it and why did it not become a final report? And if it did then who received a copy and what did they do with it?
    There are so many people that need to be brought to account for their decisions.
    I get the impression that this draft report was not disclosed to the public inquiry. It's just scandalous. 

If a "draft" report says something you don't like then you don't get it finalised. That way, I presume the thinking goes, it's not the final document and so you can ignore it because its still, theoretically, subject to change. 

Plausible deniability. Stinks, doesn't it.
  • Options
    It does. You would have hoped the Deloitte ethics committee might have considered their position once people started being the subject of court action.
  • Options
    It does. You would have hoped the Deloitte ethics committee might have considered their position once people started being the subject of court action.
    You know what I am going to say, broken record that I am... Private Eye, in virtually every issue, reports on one of the big audit firms being fined for malpractice, they pay the fine, they carry on doing it... Ethics? Non-existant, Ant.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been following the questioning of Alan Bates this morning.
    It has been riveting quite frankly.
    Amongst others I feel it is safe to say that’s it for the leader of the Liberals Ed Davey, he comes out of this badly. However the scandal goes back before Davey to when the Labour Party was in government.
    The briefing given to Davey before his ‘meeting’ with Alan Bates was about denial and damage limitation, and to emphasise that he was at ‘arms length’ from the reasonably raised issue. No desire to pin down the actual truth.
    Davey was the minister in charge at the time, even if new to the job and government.

• Options

Not to defend the conduct of any PO executive since 2000 (when Alan Bates got so close to the truth they sacked him), it is apparent that several of them have been ignoring the truth and punishing people they knew to be innocent, but there is a highly unpalatable bit of context around their recruitment.
    From 2012 Paula Vennells and Nick Read's total packages as CEO averaged £1M per year - the FTSE top 100 UK CEO average package was closer to £4M p.a. over the same period.
    As was so often seen with nationalised businesses senior executive management was never rewarded at a level to attract people of adequate quality.
    Nobody worthy of running such a huge high profile business is going to take it on for 25% of the going rate.  False economy of the most egregious kind.
    Packages (salary, pension, benefits & bonusses) around £1M p.a. ain't to be sniffed at but if that's a quarter of the going rate then we got what the politicians paid for.
    The FTSE top 100 CEO's packages would usually include share options, obviously not an option for P.O. but the peanuts and monkeys analogy still holds.

• Options
    Anybody involved in the cover up and ruthless lies of it's only affecting you should be jailed, end of. Including Fujitzu whose system it was. Absolute disgrace and abuse of power from the post office whose boss is really the government, so no shit sherlock they passed the blame. This whole thing has really boiled my piss.
  • Options
    Also heard today from my local small post office that they had dummy transactions going through the account in this period. When this was queried they were told it would all be reversed to zero. As an old IT War horse my money is on a lack of the post office IT infrastructure to allow changes to be properly system tested then undergo user acceptance testing before being allowed to go live. So potentially testing in a live environment.
  • Options
    I think we may need to build a new prison to house those who were in charge at the time.
  • Options
    It amazes me how these highly paid executives seem to know so little about the companies that they run. If you are making decisions you should know how your company works.

Alan Cook former Managing Director of The Post Office from 2006 to 2010, during which time the PO prosecuted 200 Sub Postmasters & Sub Mistresses, said he didn't know that the PO carried out its own prosecutions. 

Adam Crozier to give evidence later, that should be interesting.
  • Options
    First, I do not believe for one second that Cook (and now Crozier) did not know that the Post Office ran its own prosecutions.  The only other alternative is that they are both totally thick and incompetent. (Easy to believe with Crozier that's for sure.) I cannot now (surprise, surprise) find any press releases issued by the Post Office at the time but while not a betting man, I would bet that every single case had a press release issued trumpeting another prosecution success - even if only distributed to the local press.

Second, this is a great read https://davidallengreen.com/2024/01/how-the-legal-system-made-it-so-easy-for-the-post-office-to-destroy-the-lives-of-the-sub-postmasters-and-sub-postmistresses-and-how-the-legal-system-then-made-it-so-hard-for-them-to-obtain-justice/

In summary, the writer suggests that it was merely two strokes of luck rather than anything else that worked in the sub-postmasters' favour and also comes up with a shocking piece of news about how the Post Office went into full-on Trump mode and tried but failed to have the judge that was literally on their case recused.

Finally, on the assumption that the Post Office can be legally defined as a "Public Body" it seems to me that large numbers of co-conspirators in that organisation should be prosecuted for misfeasance in public office, the maximum penalty for which is life imprisonment.  (I speculate that Cook and Crozier know this only to well and that is why they have gone all forgetful on us.)