Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curtis Fleming Appointed as Assistant Head Coach

Charlton Athletic are pleased to announce the appointment of Curtis Fleming as Assistant Head Coach of the men's first-team.

The 55-year-old, who most recently worked as Bristol City’s Assistant Manager, adds further experience to Michael Appleton’s backroom staff.

"I'm very happy to be given the opportunity," said Fleming. "My conversations with Michael Appleton and Andy Scott were really positive. The plans for the club, both short-term and long-term, are exciting and I really wanted to be part of that."

Head Coach Appleton added: “Curtis will bring loads of experience to the club. It was important to try and get the right balance in terms of personnel and characters in the group.

"He's worked under Nigel Pearson, who is someone I respect and have worked with before at West Brom, and Nigel speaks very highly of him. He's well-respected and his experience will benefit the group."

A former Republic of Ireland international, Fleming enjoyed a successful playing career in which he played over 400 games, the majority of which came at Middlesbrough where he won promotion to the Premier League three times and reached three cup finals.

He has since coached at Middlesbrough, Livingston, Crystal Palace, Bolton Wanderers, Hartlepool United, QPR and gained managerial experience in India with Punjab FC.

Fleming joined Championship side Bristol City as a temporary coach in the summer of 2021 and became Assistant Manager on a permanent basis two months later.

Comments

• Options
    I mean, the bar is currently pretty low for Charlton assistant managers, so he should be OK.

Welcome Curtis.
  • Options
    So what do we have now?

• Options
    Another one Manc born

Well be ditching the Red Red Robin for Stop Crying Your Heart Out at this rate
    More likely 'Falling Down'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I expect he’ll do some of the media side of things which Appleton is, frankly, crap at.  

He also comes with a decent reputation and, most importantly, won’t just be a “yes” man to Appleton.  He needs someone to bounce off which we just don’t have at present .

welcome aboard Curtis
    Thinking this myself. Hopefully there first and foremost to help sort the defence out and coach that side, but maybe they do also realise comms need to be better and for all Deano’s flaws he was great at that and helping feel like he understood Charlton. Results are what will get MA time and onside but also some actually emotion and non monotone voice from staff may also help a bit too! 
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Interesting it appears their paths haven’t crossed previously. Take from that what you will 
  • Options
    Maybe Pearson is being lined up to replace MA ?
  • Options
    Oooooooh 🤔
  • Options
    edited January 12
    Hopefully a good sign that Appleton is getting his own coaching staff in. We also know who the caretaker manager will be in a few weeks’ time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So what do we have now?

https://www.charltonafc.com/staff/Men%27s%20First%20Team%20Coaching%20Staff

Appleton - head coach
    Fleming - assistant head coach
    O’Donnell - coach
    Henderson - goalkeeping coach
  • Options
    Is O'Donnell as Irish as his name suggests? If so, interesting that all the coaching team are Irish apart from Appleton, probably just a coincidence
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/tfOxNXYg5sY?si=tQBpuDPKk4NAma4-
    Definitely doesn't sound Manc!
  • Options
    His other coach at Bristol was Jason Euell...
  • Options
    Provided he's someone that Appleton got to pick, I'm fine with it
  • Options
    Bit out of left field 
    No Wiki says he was a right back 
    Yeah but if he has been with us as a player he probably would have played everywhere but right back. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    One of the benefits of leaving Manchester when a couple of months old 😉 
  • Options
    Remember him as a player.