Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Does anybody know if Nathan Jones was at Dartford yesterday evening watching the U21’s play against Wolves?
  • Options
    When is his interview out?
  • Options
    edited February 6
    RedChaser said:
    You had the beating of Phillips though @NabySarr at Wembley from 20 yards, he couldn’t stop that one! 😉
    Still blame Sarr for the goal.  A schoolboy error to pass towards the goal.
    What, and think you had a keeper between the sticks...
    In truth no-one person was to blame, there was a very distinct bobble that took the ball away from Phillips's foot...nothing he could do...just a very unlikely fluke, and the only way Sunderland were gonna get on the scoresheet...🙄
  • Options
    I am a bit mystified by the whole drop AMB stuff. Apart from the cock up at Blackpool which he got away with and the dodgy punch against Derby, I cant think of any glaring errors and he was absolutely fantastic at Port Vale - who had 34 !!! shots on goal. 
    When I've seen Isted , he actually looks awful to me ? - he seemed to let everything in ! 
    But this doesn't paint the whole picture. I know from my own (amatuer) playing days as a defender, the difference in confidence at the back when you have a keeper behind you that is vocal and orchestrates his back line. Receiving the ball and not being aware of opposition postition leads to either a panicky pass/clearance or being caught out in possession. Part of a GK's duties is to act as a second pair of eyes and making his teammates aware of their surroundings. M-B does none of these things. 

I'm not saying Istead is the answer, as I too wasn't that impressed with him (although he did seem to improve in the last couple of matches he played). 

I don't expect Ward to be the answer, as I see him as emergency cover. I've been saying for most of this season that we desperately need a solid No1 and it's something that we must address in the summer as a priority.
  • Options

I'd be surprised if there is one before the Reading game, there must be a lot to do
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Chunes said:

I'd be surprised if there is one before the Reading game we are mathematically safe, there’s a hell of a lot to do
    Fixed 😉
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I'd be surprised if there is one before the Reading game, there must be a lot to do
    There will definitely be something, I imagine he just didn't have time yesterday. My hunch is it will be today/tomorrow. as he's met the players and done some training. He understands the importance of fans hearing him speak
  • Options
    He's been in charge for 49 hours, and the club said it would be early this week, and it's still early this week 
  • Options
    Tbh, I’d take never hearing from him again if it kept us up.
    I can just listen to my mate Rodri, as he sounds exactly like him, talking to me about his dogs………..’they love it hear they do’. 🤗🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    I’m sure we’ll all hear from him soon…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To weigh in on the keeper debate. My feeling is that AMB is probably overall marginally the better keeper and has the higher ceiling. However, some areas of his game still need significant work and his commanding of his area and the defence is a really issue right now. His confidence looks shot so we need to get him out the firing line. Istead comes in for the immediate term.

I would go and get Phillips back in the summer. He's not play him much so if we offer him the number 1 and sell him the Jones led Journey I think we will come. One of AMB/Istead as back up will be fine.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    You had the beating of Phillips though @NabySarr at Wembley from 20 yards, he couldn’t stop that one! 😉
    What, and think you had a keeper between the sticks...
    In truth no-one person was to blame, there was a very distinct bobble that took the ball away from Phillips's hand...nothing he could do...just a very unlikely fluke, and the only way Sunderland were gonna get on the scoresheet...🙄
    Foot? 
    Dillon took his eye off the ball. End of. 
    Made a great save shortly after though. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    100% Dillons howler. 
    Yup, Nabs didnt make it easy for Dils but yep. Keeper should control that and spread it to the right back with his eyes closed actually maybe that was the problem!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    100% Dillons howler. 
    Have to agree to disagree on that one.
  • Options
    If you are not under pressure surely you should pass back to the side of the goal. 
    Basic stuff really.
  • Options
    The longer it goes without hearing from NJ, the more I think we've all been duped into believing that he's been hired when, in reality, Charlie Methven is calling the managerial shots.
  • Options
    If you are not under pressure surely you should pass back to the side of the goal. 
    Absolutely, that’s what we were taught at school when we were kids because keepers in the 60’s weren’t very good with their feet to play outfield and were stuck in goal 😉 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Absolutely, that’s what we were taught at school when we were kids because keepers in the 60’s weren’t very good with their feet to play outfield and were stuck in goal 😉 
    You played in goal then :)<3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    You played in goal then :)<3
    No, but you did in 5 aside apparently as you could touch that crossbar 😉
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Where has this myth that Maynard brewer is a "great shot stopper" come from? I see it all the time. He has the 17th best save % in the whole league at 66.1%. The top 10 are all over 70% and can probably actually communicate with their defence a whole lot better.

And for the hardcore stat fans he is also 21st in the list of goals prevented with -3.8 goals prevented which basically means he has conceded 3.8 more goals than would be expected against the shots he has faced.

He needs an upgrade because right now he is one of the worst keepers in the league. Isted might not be the answer but he needs to come back in.
    He's absolutely useless. Istead may not be the answer but he has to be worth a try. Pretty certain from their body language, most defenders would welcome it.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Back then keepers would have been allowed to pick the ball up! They solely kicked the ball from goal kicks 
  • Options
    Basic stuff really.
    You’d want and expect your goalkeeper to not let that in though. It’s a gk howler of the first order.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Back then keepers would have been allowed to pick the ball up! They solely kicked the ball from goal kicks 
    Dear old Les Berry was really reliant on the back pass to Nicky Johns or whoever.

Nicky would gather it and punt it downfield.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    They were but to be on the safe side and avoid the ball going through their legs passing back wide of the goal was the order of the day.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Where has this myth that Maynard brewer is a "great shot stopper" come from?

A couple of years ago, our former GK (Elliot) was on a podcast raving about him and it seems everyone bought it.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    RedChaser said:
    Dear old Les Berry was really reliant on the back pass to Nicky Johns or whoever.

Nicky would gather it and punt it downfield.

Len, there was a terrible game at Orient once when Les Berry broke the record for pass backs to the keeper to pick up. I think it was 0-0.
    Best rule change since you could've a sub. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He's been in charge for 49 hours, and the club said it would be early this week, and it's still early this week 
    Most likely tomorrow on the players day off