Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    It will be interesting to see NJ,s approach to the next 4 games. With the latter 3 all below us. Will he continue the same high intensity approach. Will he view the opposition and move and change players. My pots half full 12 points in the bag....
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    It will be interesting to see NJ,s approach to the next 4 games. With the latter 3 all below us. Will he continue the same high intensity approach. Will he view the opposition and move and change players. My pots half full 12 points in the bag....
    More of the same.

It really helps being able to rotate the midfield, so we don't have the same players doing Saturday Tuesday if they're looking a bit tired. It's only Kanu and Small who look unreplaceable at the moment.
  • Options
    He’s proving to be everything we thought he would.
    Feels so positive that he and we build back our reputations.
    I think we probably want the Cardiff manager to stay in post for as long as possible, as you’d think if that vacancy came up and Jones is doing well with us, he’d be a real contender and would probably fancy it. 
  • Options
    I just really want to know what these "certain things" are that he keeps mentioning in his interviews :)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Valley11 said:
    I think we probably want the Cardiff manager to stay in post for as long as possible, as you’d think if that vacancy came up and Jones is doing well with us, he’d be a real contender and would probably fancy it. 
    Genuinely don't think he would. He has obviously been promised a sizeable budget to spend in the summer, he wouldn't have accepted this job without it. Promotion next season (if we stay up) is more than doable and would look better on his CV than a mid-table campaign with Cardiff. It's also worth mentioning he's chopped and changed clubs a fair bit in recent years which isn't a good look and he'll be aware of that. 
    Yeah I meant further down the line. Maybe by next Christmas if we’re challenging and Cardiff are struggling. But all hypothetical. Enjoy the ride for now.  
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    The next three teams will approach the games very differently to the last three. Their intentions will be to at least keep the point they started with and nick something.  Our job to break them down which as we all know isn’t always easy. I think we’ll see something very different in tactics from Jones but not a lower intensity. I think Jones’s stock in trade is high tempo. I understand that he’s always bellowing “legs, legs, legs” at the players at Sparrows. I don’t think he likes sluggish. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Valley11 said:
    Genuinely don't think he would. He has obviously been promised a sizeable budget to spend in the summer, he wouldn't have accepted this job without it. Promotion next season (if we stay up) is more than doable and would look better on his CV than a mid-table campaign with Cardiff. It's also worth mentioning he's chopped and changed clubs a fair bit in recent years which isn't a good look and he'll be aware of that. 
    Since the L2 promotion, Jones hasn't achieved any formal success in his career, I'm sure he'll want that. He built the successful Luton teams, but had departed when they got their last 2 promotions.

Cardiff aren't a bigger club that us anyway. Obviously more successful than us at the moment, but in recent years they look stuck in Championship mediocrity, more likely to go down than go up.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Valley11 said:
    Since the L2 promotion, Jones hasn't achieved any formal success in his career, I'm sure he'll want that. He built the successful Luton teams, but had departed when they got their last 2 promotions.

Cardiff aren't a bigger club that us anyway. Obviously more successful than us at the moment, but in recent years they look stuck in Championship mediocrity, more likely to go down than go up.
    I mean come on, he more or less got Luton promoted from league one. Micky Hartford hardly needed to lift a finger! Equally he contributed a huge amount to their championship playoff campaign the season before last. 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Valley11 said:

I mean come on, he more or less got Luton promoted from league one. Micky Hartford hardly needed to lift a finger! Equally he contributed a huge amount to their championship playoff campaign the season before last. 
    And got them in the playoffs the year before and won Championship manager of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think he’ll ring the changes again.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Dobson left out again. 2 games left before the 10 yellow card ban finishes.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Dobson left out again. 2 games left before the 10 yellow card ban finishes.
    Rest him for 2 games so he doesn't have to miss 2 games. I agree with you though, I do think that Dobson will miss out again this weekend.

I think he will keep Coventry in this weekend but I suspect Bakinson will come back in for Camara. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Rest him for 2 games so he doesn't have to miss 2 games. I agree with you though, I do think that Dobson will miss out again this weekend.

I think he will keep Coventry in this weekend but I suspect Bakinson will come back in for Camara. 
    Not convinced about Bakinson returning but agree with the rest. 
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Valley11 said:

I didn't mean he wasn't massively responsible for their success. I meant he wasn't actually there when the last L1 promotion was achieved, as he'd moved on. He didn't get the glory, the celebrations on the pitch and with the fans, the champagne flowing, the open top buses etc.

Getting Charlton promoted next season would be far more memorable, and something to be proud of, then departing again mid season for a mediocre Championship job like Cardiff. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

The next 2 games are potentially harder than the following 2. It would be slightly odd to deliberately make a player miss Northampton and Cheltenham, to save them for Carlisle and Fleetwood.
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    The next three teams will approach the games very differently to the last three. Their intentions will be to at least keep the point they started with and nick something.  Our job to break them down which as we all know isn’t always easy. I think we’ll see something very different in tactics from Jones but not a lower intensity. I think Jones’s stock in trade is high tempo. I understand that he’s always bellowing “legs, legs, legs” at the players at Sparrows. I don’t think he likes sluggish. 
    Think that may be true for the 3 after Saturday, but Northampton will look at us as a clear 3 point opportunity on their way to the play-offs. We've only won twice away, we're 19th (20th on merit). Their fans will be expecting that they go for it. Won't be an easy game, hopefully it'll be a memorable one for the right reasons. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonniesta said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Think that may be true for the 3 after Saturday, but Northampton will look at us as a clear 3 point opportunity on their way to the play-offs. We've only won twice away, we're 19th (20th on merit). Their fans will be expecting that they go for it. Won't be an easy game, hopefully it'll be a memorable one for the right reasons. 
    I suspect the fans of Bolton, Pompey and Derby were all expecting the same…
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    SE_7EVEN said:
    The fans of Northampton will look at us as an underachieving big club.

Yes they won't fear us, but they will still us as a big scalp if they beat us, especially with a former Premier League manager in charge now.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    SE_7EVEN said:

Yes they won't fear us, but they will still us as a big scalp if they beat us, especially with a former Premier League manager in charge now.
    Not sure we are a big scalp anymore.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    SE_7EVEN said:

I think we still have most of that aura, especially when you are comparing us with the other teams down there, the likes of Port Vale, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Fleetwood etc.

The Northampton fans won't have been us as relegation strugglers to be easily seen off.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    SE_7EVEN said:

I think we still have most of that aura, especially when you are comparing us with the other teams down there, the likes of Port Vale, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Fleetwood etc.

The Northampton fans won't have been us as relegation strugglers to be easily seen off.
    I take your point, up in the Championship we'd not be considered a scalp.  I do realise you're talking about third division football though.

Premier League days were fantastic, beating the big boys was such a buzz.  17 seasons ago now though.
  • Options
    More draws than Tony Hart!

• Options
    More draws than Tony Hart!

Or IKEA?