Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who will be the new Charlton coach? - p103. Nathan Jones confirmed

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic news.  Gives the club stability & shows a lot of ambition.  They clearly have faith in their choice & are sold on Jones's vision for the club.

I'm excited for the future
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Only 6 of the current 92 managers/head coaches have been with their club for longer than four and a half years.

- Simon Weaver (Harrogate, ~15 years)
    - John Coleman (Accrington, ~9.5 years)
    - Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool, ~8.5 years)
    - Pep Guardiola (Man City, ~7.5 years)
    - Mark Robins (Coventry, ~7 years)
    - Thomas Frank (Brentford, ~5.5 years)
  • Options
    Only 6 of the current 92 managers/head coaches have been with their club for longer than four and a half years.

- Simon Weaver (Harrogate, ~15 years)
    - John Coleman (Accrington, ~9.5 years)
    - Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool, ~8.5 years)
    - Pep Guardiola (Man City, ~7.5 years)
    - Mark Robins (Coventry, ~7 years)
    - Thomas Frank (Brentford, ~5.5 years)
    Every Charlton manager in the last fifty years* who has served at least three years as manager has achieved at least one promotion. 

Every Charlton manager since WWII** who has served at least four years as manager has achieved at least one promotion and got us to Wembley. 

(*Excluding Steve Gritt). 
    (**Excluding Jimmy Trotter and Theo Foley). 
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    He's signed a 4.5 year deal 

That is good news for Nathan Jones and hopefully for getting some stability back to Cafc after our decline in our league position and spectators turning up.

As long as we don't give 4.5 years contract to the next Charlie Kirk that pops up from the lower divisions !
  • Options
    Mmmmm.

Fake pic all day long, unless I have missed something on previous unvisited posts.
    Really?

I'm pretty certain that life's too short for people to be adding Stone Island badges to jackets worn by Nathan Jones for some nefarious reason - his choice of clothing is hardly a global event.

You might be right though. For our local press perhaps faking Stone Island jackets is more interesting than making people cross their arms and look miserable for an article about pot holes. 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-indicates-he-had-previous-charlton-athletic-contact-and-had-extensive-talks-with-owners-before-taking-role/

I'd not have thought he'd be wearing this whilst on the touchline.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    First Team Talk

• Options
    Another busted flush.
  • Options
    I’d just caution that thing initially appeared to improve under Adkins, Jackson, Holden, and Appleton but the players always eventually reverted to type. I understand why you might it’s different this time, it does feel like it could be, but I think we’re a ways off where we can say Jones has built something sustainable. 
    A fair point. But even if it "only" lasts through March it should at the very least see us safe which is what it needs to do right now.

I'm hoping it goes much further of course but safety first and next season is an issue for the future.
  • Options
    I’d just caution that thing initially appeared to improve under Adkins, Jackson, Holden, and Appleton but the players always eventually reverted to type. I understand why you might it’s different this time, it does feel like it could be, but I think we’re a ways off where we can say Jones has built something sustainable. 
    I agree that we should be cautious, we’ve been hurt before. That being said, Jones is of a different pedigree to the managers you name. 

Key will be letting him (not Scott) have control over recruitment in the summer. The last few results have been brilliant, but this squad still needs fairly major surgery to be a contender for promotion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 28
    Keep climbing the table, don’t get too high with highs or too low with the lows, to quote Curbs. NJ has already said that the squad is too big and it will be scaled back and should get the changes it needs with him having a major say rather than Scott ploughing his own furrow.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I agree that we should be cautious, we’ve been hurt before. That being said, Jones is of a different pedigree to the managers you name. 

Key will be letting him (not Scott) have control over recruitment in the summer. The last few results have been brilliant, but this squad still needs fairly major surgery to be a contender for promotion. 
    The key will be for the club as a whole to be pushing in one direction. We don't at this point know what this squad is capable of as it has only had 5 games with a real manager where they have improved all the time and just got 5 points from the top 3 clubs.

I thought Karoy Anderson was no where near first team ready a month ago and in the last month he has been outstanding. 

The more this month has gone on, I am more convinced that the player recruitment (Whilst not being perfect) hasn't been the issue. It has been hiring that fraud of a manager who was.

I am pleased it has taken this long in some ways for the first win to come under Jones as it has proved his point that it required the players to really buy in and believe. I really hope this is the start of a far more positive period supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Excellent appointment, especially in our current predicament.

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

1. Keep us in League One this season.

2. Establish a clear style of play that is a) successful and b) good to watch.

3. Get the defence and defensive midfielders working together cohesively.

4. Get more creativity in the attacking third.

5. Ensure that the gaps and imbalances in the squad are addressed in the summer.

6. Get Dobbo to sign a new contract.

7. Build a team that will at least get into the League One play offs next season.
    Still early days but I'd say that (1) is starting to look achievable and NJ is making good progress on (2) and (3).

More to do on (4) although clever tactics combined with Daniel Kanu's contribution and the return of Chuks has helped to overcome the absence of a creative, attacking midfielder.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Davo55 said:
    Excellent appointment, especially in our current predicament.

Nathan Jones TO DO LIST:

1. Keep us in League One this season.

2. Establish a clear style of play that is a) successful and b) good to watch.

3. Get the defence and defensive midfielders working together cohesively.

4. Get more creativity in the attacking third.

5. Ensure that the gaps and imbalances in the squad are addressed in the summer.

6. Get Dobbo to sign a new contract.

7. Build a team that will at least get into the League One play offs next season.
    Still early days but I'd say that (1) is starting to look achievable and NJ is making good progress on (2) and (3).

More to do on (4) although clever tactics combined with Daniel Kanu's contribution and the return of Chuks has helped to overcome the absence of a creative, attacking midfielder.
    One of the biggest things for me. How Jones has got this team scoring when we have zero creativity in it, is a tactical masterpiece. 
  • Options
    However good or bad NJ is he seems to be very confident, positive and determined. What a contrast to our previous 'manager'.

Has to be an uplift for players.

• Options
    se9addick said:

I reckon Scott will not be with Charlton come the start of next season.
  • Options
    It is said that Jones does not have enough Premier League experience, so we will have to help him get some with us 🤗👍